Default Golden Age Superman -Appreciation!

Look! Up in the sky! Is it a Bird? Is it a plane?

NO!

It's SUPERMAN!! : D

I hereby declare this the thread for signs of appreciation of the original Superman from the Golden Age - as envisioned by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster. Their comics, as well as any media from the time, such as the Fleisher Cartoon, or later, similar depictions, such as Earth-2 Superman, Kal-L, is on-topic here! = )

And now... for the posting of awesome pictures. ^^

From the Fleischer Studios Superman.

Last edited by L.R Johansson; 04-01-2016 at 07:17 AM.

smash.jpg
    OH YEAH!

notgivingafuck.jpg

Original Superman is awesome! "World's Greatest Adventure-Strip Character"? Damn right!

pseudoflight.jpg

Gods, those were the days, huh?

Ain't no Superman like Golden Age Superman!

So much more fun with that swagger and alpha-male mindset. Granted, the sexual and racial discrimination of the day is not missed at all, and maybe he was a little heavy-handed at times, but I miss Superman acting like a man's man, with that casual confidence and "don't give a damn" attitude. Any version of Superman would be well served to remember that while he's a real nice guy, there's a reason you dont tug on his cape.

And seeing him go after corruption within the system always makes me smile. I cant throw Congress into a river when they play political games instead of doing their jobs, but Superman can and its fun to live through him. Hell, him acting on the anger and dissatisfaction towards The Man is what made him popular in the first place. I dont get why DC fails to see that. They brought Batman back to his pulp-y, dark roots after decades of him being more Adam West than Zorro, and it's been working ever since, now decades later. Why cant Superman do the same? The political climate would certainly embrace it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Not sure why I never really got into this thread, but I'll blame the combination of April Fools and Rebirth.

Mark Waid once said that he and others considered "Vs the Future Men" as the end of the golden age. I'm not so sure about that story as a distinction, but I do like including what's dubbed the atomic age. IMO getting to that high level, where his powers increased in proportion to his more cerebral approach to problem solving, is the biggest part of what you'd call his character arc. Lines up with how the creators got better and the stories were a little more sophisticated.