Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Isn't Thor's Hammer a magical item and shouldn't it be affected by the "Last Days of Magic" storyline ?

I mean isn't the Hammer a bit of a magical item and wouldn't that be a reason enough to try to eliminate it's magical source and also a reason for Jason Aaron to crossover Thor and Dr. Strange for a storyline ?

I thought it was alien technology.

Spectacular Member

The hammer itself isn't magical, it was forged from Uru by the dwarves. Since Thor is a god maybe his powers aren't considered magical. It's not like he chants different spells like Strange needs to.

asgard and the asgardians wouldnt be nearly as godlike if their technologies and powers were magic based. mjolnir is a weapon that is made up of rare alien tech/resources and fueled by thor's divine powers. i think the OP is confusing magic with divine power(?)
    Current Pull List:
    DC (Rebirth): All-Star Batman, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Justice League
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spider-Gwen
    Image: The Walking Dead
    Dark Horse: Dept-H

Titles that I wish I could afford to also follow
    All-New All-Different Avengers, Scooby Apocalypse

Mighty Member

It is affected I think, but off-panel, and asgardian magic seem to be a bit more "stable" than earth magic. And the death of magic seem to happen in a short span of time.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    I thought it was alien technology.
    Was it Tony Stark or maybe Hank Pym that said magic was just technology that they haven't figured out yet?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

The hammer itself isn't magical, but it has been endowed with magical properties. Recent Thor movies have sort of stepped away from the magic-based aspect of Asgard in an attempt to establish that Asgard is governed by science that we simply do not understand yet. Even the Asgardians themselves are not really gods. That goes back to classic interpretation of the race/species. It's probably best to think of the hammer as a confluence of both science and magic. It has a number of properties which science cannot explain, like the ability to create a storm where there clearly aren't any conditions to do so. The hammer can also create and channel anti-matter, which is not a magical feat per se. Mjolnir has so many diverse properties that I used to think that if you were able to crack it open, you'd find a semi-sentient Cosmic Cube in the center of it. That would explain quite a bit, especially the enchantment that only someone "worthy" can wield the hammer.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Ashcroft View Post
    Was it Tony Stark or maybe Hank Pym that said magic was just technology that they haven't figured out yet?
    That's Stark's line. At least in the movies. But writers have been using that line since before Stan Lee existed.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    That's Stark's line. At least in the movies. But writers have been using that line since before Stan Lee existed.
    If I remember correctly, that's Stark's line. In Mighty Avengers Dark Reign and Avengers Academy Hank Pym has apparently figured out magic.
    “If you want to really see a road map of where our movies will be (going) in the next five, 10 or 20 years, read the comics,” says Joe Quesada, Marvel’s chief creative officer. “Because they’re almost always a precursor to what’s on the horizon in our cinematic universe and our television universes.”

Quote Originally Posted by rellum View Post
    asgard and the asgardians wouldnt be nearly as godlike if their technologies and powers were magic based. mjolnir is a weapon that is made up of rare alien tech/resources and fueled by thor's divine powers. i think the OP is confusing magic with divine power(?)
    I think maybe people should remember what magic is in the MU. It is true that people have their own magic powers but all high class wizards depends on the help from other sources e.g Dr.Strange depends on the gods of Vishanti. What people can do without such help or magical tools is extremely limited except when you are someone like Wiccan which is essential a god himself.

You can say the main source for magic are demons and gods in the MU. I haven't read the story but I'm sure that Marvel has forgotten all this again when laying out the story.
    Chant are often prayers to those gods and why would a god pray to himself ? ^^

In the end you can properly call it divine magic, so far I remember the Asgard have technology but unlike the UU counter-part they rarely use it.

So are the powers of the Destroyer armor also due to some kind of unknown Asgardian science?

I had the impression the interpretation post-Fraction is that the hammer and the Destroyer armor were actually inspired by the reign of Cul.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Usually...and probably correctly...attributed to that Titan of SF Arthur C Clarke. Indeed often called Clarke's third law.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jphamlore View Post
    So are the powers of the Destroyer armor also due to some kind of unknown Asgardian science?

I had the impression the interpretation post-Fraction is that the hammer and the Destroyer armor were actually inspired by the reign of Cul.
    Yeah, what does power up the Destroyer armor ?

If Ghost Rider's affected, Thor should be too. They both draw their powers from non-Earthly realms, so I don't see why not.

Though we haven't seen how the Last Day of Magic have affected realms like Hell and Asgard.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

No way can anything being done in Doctor Strange be anything more than a footnote in the grand scheme of things. It will end. Most people will not care.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier