View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

The second part of the DC FanDome event on September 12th will include panels called “Latin America Celebrates DC!” and “ I'm Latinx, What's Your Superpower?“.

Curious what they’re going to talk about.

“We at DC proudly showcase our Latinx superheroes like Jessica Cruz and...um, Jessica Cruz.”

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Pre flashpoint his dad was revealed to be Sir Edmund Dorrance (aka King Snake), who was British.

Is Pantha really a latina? Afaik it was never revealed who she was before the Wildebeast Society transformed her.
    Yes she is. We found out about her origin after her death. She’s Rosabelle Mendez.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    The second part of the DC FanDome event on September 12th will include panels called “Latin America Celebrates DC!” and “ I'm Latinx, What's Your Superpower?“.

Curious what they’re going to talk about.

“We at DC proudly showcase our Latinx superheroes like Jessica Cruz and...um, Jessica Cruz.”
    I hope they plan to announce something with their latinx characters, rhere are far too many that are underdeveloped. they've been pushing Jessica Cruz hard (which I don't mind because I like the character even if I prefer when she was partnered up) but they have been slacking heavy with everyone else. hot potatoing between Jaime Reyes and Vibe as tokens and racebending Kyle Rayner isn't really great representation. I would love to see Fuerza and Sideways more and for Jaime to get another major push.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I really like Jessica Cruz too. Not only is she Latina but she’s a character who has over come and to an extent is still dealing with mental health issues. That’s pretty amazing. My complaint is that DC uses her as their token Hispanic. They don’t seem to care about building up any other Latino character since they can just point to Jessica floating in the background behind Hal and John and as an example of diversity. Hispanics are about 20% of the US population (and the fastest growing ethnicity) and are woefully under represented in comics and pop culture in general.
    Last edited by Robotman; 08-30-2020 at 04:14 PM.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I really like Jessica Cruz too. Not only is she Latina but she’s a character who has over come and to an extent is still dealing with mental health issues. That’s pretty amazing. My complaint is that DC uses her as their token Hispanic. They don’t seem to care about building up any other Latino character since they can just point to Jessica floating in the background behind Hal and John and as an example of diversity. Hispanics are about 20% of the US population (and the fastest growing ethnicity) and are woefully under represented in comics and pop culture in general.
    I guess I'm the only one who really doesn't have any love for that character. Something about the arc of here overcoming ptsd, and then becoming "Green Lantern" chosen because she has the power to overcome great fear never sat right with me. A little too on the nose for my taste having dealt with lots of military people suffering thorough ptsd, sigh. . . and then yes much like Hawkgirl on JLU she's just the go to lantern when they want to look more woke, but it... always FEEL illegitimate to me at least as long as there are infinite other lanterns just floating around "ON EARTH" no less. D.C. is so weird.

I feel like Jaime and his amazing friends is a book in waiting... that dc is just leaving money on the table with.
    Jaime, Firestorm like in the injustice game... add stargirl.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

nice little Fuerza update, they acknowledged her as a member of the Flash Family over in Flash #761

I wish we could see more of her, she's probably the most intriguing thing to come out of the Flash Quest/Forever Force storyline.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    nice little Fuerza update, they acknowledged her as a member of the Flash Family over in Flash #761

I wish we could see more of her, she's probably the most intriguing thing to come out of the Flash Quest/Forever Force storyline.
    I just wish Godspeed was there.

119178204_10158774300253485_8112036643126005603_o.jpg

DC's Hispanic Heritage month promo image.

I was pretty excited to see this at first but then I remembered they did something similar for their Juneteeth image. Trotted out characters they hardly ever use to show how diverse they are. If a character is going to represent a minority group, maybe actually include him in monthly comics more often.

Oh well. Still super cool to see Jaime drawn by José Luis García-López!

Astonishing Member

Quoting myself to express my thoughts here, too.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Props to the artist!

Though like DC's poster of Black characters from a while back, this would ring better and more sincere if Jaime was being supported by DC with an ongoing book right now, if Superman wasn't there taking up as much space as he is (Why does it look like Clark's taking up more space then Jaime? Why is Clark even here?), and if their were more of DC's Hispanic roster of heroes present than just the "obvious go-to" of Jaime.

I don't mean to be a downer or disrespectful, but just to be true to some of the feelings this pic invokes within me when I think about it from a broader context.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Quoting myself to express my thoughts here, too.
    if Superman wasn't there taking up as much space as he is (Why does it look like Clark's taking up more space then Jaime? Why is Clark even here?),

One MAJOR thing I have learned from posting art on deviant art is doing (and tagging) certain characters get you more hits and traffic.

And those certain characters tend NOT to be POC.

119178204_10158774300253485_8112036643126005603_o.jpg

DC's Hispanic Heritage month promo image.

I was pretty excited to see this at first but then I remembered they did something similar for their Juneteeth image. Trotted out characters they hardly ever use to show how diverse they are. If a character is going to represent a minority group, maybe actually include him in monthly comics more often.

Oh well. Still super cool to see Jaime drawn by José Luis García-López!
    Now give him a comic, show, movie or animated series. Something DC! Put him on a team! He shouldn’t be stuck in limbo!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    One MAJOR thing I have learned from posting art on deviant art is doing (and tagging) certain characters get you more hits and traffic.

And those certain characters tend NOT to be POC.
    Yeah, that is likely a thing. The worry, however, then becomes whether the draw-character/tag outplaces the character(s) who are ostensibly intended to be in focus and the main purpose of the image/picture/art in question. This art, for example, would be one were it kinda does. Superman/Clark looks like he takes up twice as much space as the actual centerpiece of the picture: the actual Latino, Jaime Reyes/Blue Beetle.

Aside from Jaime, Renee and Cisco, who would you say are the best latino characters in DC?

Derek James (Sideways) spring to mind. I'm not really knowledgeable with other latino characters at DC beyond him and the other three you named.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Aside from Jaime, Renee and Cisco, who would you say are the best latino characters in DC?
    I think you would be remissed to not include Jessica Cruz among DC's best latino characters at this point. I don't think I could ever consider Kyle as one of the best latino characters because of how exploitative the change to his heritage feels to me (same time, who am I to cast judgement on which latino experiences are valid in all honesty) but I guess could concede he probably has the most high-profile catalogue. Bane is pretty iconic too, he's definitely the biggest latino villain in DC.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-28-2020 at 09:09 AM.

currently following: