View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 34 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mace11 View Post

By the John Trujillo is a Navajo,not latino.
    Can't believe I have to explain this here, FYI, you can be both!
    Latino Native American. It's common, and many of us are.
    He also follows the Mayan Tocotl goddess.
    And his name Trujillo is absolutely Latino which indicates it (yes he counts)

FYI Jaime Reyes, and his family are also Latino Native American
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-01-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Reyes

Trujillo

Ramon

LOL! That's lame.

Someone at DC is determined to have this look be a thing for a Latino character.

Was there something wrong with this....
    Whenever Sideways or El Diablo make their animated debuts, I expect them to also be rocking a Mohawk lol. Can you imagine Chato with one? Haha
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

Can't believe I have to explain this here, FYI, you can be both!
    Latino Native American. It's common, and many of us are.
    He also follows the Mayan Tocotl goddess.
    And his name Trujillo is absolutely Latino which indicates it (yes he counts)

FYI Jaime Reyes, and his family are also Latino Native American
    Ethnic and cultural native americans are not latino.
    I just want to get that out of way before i go on below.
    I am talking culturally and ethnically.
    Is Black condor culturally and ethnically latino?
    Does he identify as latino?

Plus mayans are not latinos.
    His bio say he is only ethnically native american(even if he has a spanish last name),so that's why i mention it and and in different Lists of dc's Latino superheroes black condor is not on any latino list and he been around for awhile now.

I could only go what the bio info has said,that's all.
    Now in comics if he identifies has latino and native american,then you would be correct but so far it says he his only native american and that's what folks would read if they look at his bio and lists of latino superheroes.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-01-2019 at 04:40 PM.

Ethnic and cultural native americans are not latino.
    I just want to get that out of way before i go on below.
    I am talking culturally and ethnically.
    Is Black condor culturally and ethnically latino?
    Does he identify as latino?

Plus mayans are not latinos.
    His bio say he is only ethnically native american(even if he has a spanish last name),so that's why i mention it and and in different Lists of dc's Latino superheroes black condor is not on any latino list and he been around for awhile now.

I could only go what the bio info has said,that's all.
    Now in comics if he identifies has latino and native american,then you would be correct but so far it says he his only native american and that's what folks would read if they look at his bio and lists of latino superheroes.

-Rayner is/was created as Irish American character from the get go, the name screams it and the character through his mom only ever identified as that.
    The years later ignored retcon was never even referenced, it didn't become part of his identity, he didn't take or add the name Vazquez to his, he wasn't ever shown to connect or identify with the culture in any way, so what makes him Latino? He's white and his dad seemed maybe slightly brown, so what? Latino is not by race alone, you can be any race, it's more a what you grew up as, or identify as, cultural, ethnic identity, which he never did or had. (Maybe the simplest most obvious way would have been if he'd just taken or added the name Vazquez to his own (Rayner Vazquez) , but why would he, it's not him, it never was, which is the point).

I know Tom King recently championed him as DC's most "prominent Latino character" which is a wonderful intention, but looking at the character's actually history (see above) this notion is somewhat offensive. .
    Learning some spanish, doesn't suddenly make you latino. It's a horrible joke, especially if other creators don't follow up on it.
    And how do you, without adding scenes people will decry as cliches.

If Tom King or DC are serious about this, the strongest (and easiest) way to show it, is if the character simply adds his father's name to his own, it's 's clear, it's how he wants to identify, and you actually never have to mention it again because the character did it for you. Later writers don't have to (unless they want to) fumble creating "cliche identifier" scenes, I wouldn't want them to have struggle with that. Because with one strong act the character by claiming the name has already done it for them, and shown how he wants to identify.
    LOL you are using my own words against me.

Difference is Trujillio's name is of Latino descent, how he outwardly identifies with his name as part of his ancestry remains to be "explored", or it's just doesn't need to be, since it's in his name it's a given. So what has to be explored? For you to deny it, you have to pretend for some reason he does not see it as a legit part of himself. Or invent reasons and a narrative he wouldn't.
    Right now we know it's part of his identity, why, cause we know he uses it. It's just you who seems determined to deny it.
    As for Mayans ancestral connection, and any sort of deity veneration or recognition, not being part of his Latino culture now , depends who you ask doesn't it, Chicano's identify with both roots, are they not Latino? . Again the broad word Latino is used pretty loosely to describe many people today, not just those once of strictly "Latin European" descent. You want to pigeon hole Latino as only European?
    The word has evolved and used to describe, and embraced by a mix of many.
    What the Mayans are not is Hispanic/European. The Mayans are a native american culture, which however today lives through many of the Latino American people, and it's in this way Trujillo like many Latinos can be, have a connection, and identify as both Latino and Native American. It's in his name, it's in his culture.
    Not sure why you are denying that? It's you wanting to spin a narrative a Latino can't embrace both sides.

And yes Mesoamerican influence, culture, people, and trade went back and forth as far as North American South West.
    Last edited by Güicho; 02-02-2019 at 09:28 AM.

Seems like Jessica is coming for that number two spot. She is only 3 votes below Renee Montoya. Kyle is up there too. Jaime is still firmly at #1 though.

Extraordinary Member

LOL you are using my own words against me.

Difference is Trujillio's name is of Latino descent, how he outwardly identifies with his name as part of his ancestry remains to be "explored", or it's just doesn't need to be, since it's in his name it's a given. So what has to be explored? For you to deny it, you have to pretend for some reason he does not see it as a legit part of himself. Or invent reasons and a narrative he wouldn't.
    Right now we know it's part of his identity, why, cause we know he uses it. It's just you who seems determined to deny it.
    As for Mayans ancestral connection, and any sort of deity veneration or recognition, not being part of his Latino culture now , depends who you ask doesn't it, Chicano's identify with both roots, are they not Latino? . Again the broad word Latino is used pretty loosely to describe many people today, not just those once of strictly "Latin European" descent. You want to pigeon hole Latino as only European?
    The word has evolved and used to describe, and embraced by a mix of many.
    What the Mayans are not is Hispanic/European. The Mayans are a native american culture, which however today lives through many of the Latino American people, and it's in this way Trujillo like many Latinos can be, have a connection, and identify as both Latino and Native American. It's in his name, it's in his culture.
    Not sure why you are denying that? It's you wanting to spin a narrative a Latino can't embrace both sides.

And yes Mesoamerican influence, culture, people, and trade went back and forth as far as North American South West.
    We will have agree to disagree.
    You putting words in my mouth by the way and i still disagree with you.
    I thought at first he may have been native american and latino too when i first saw the name of the character and pictures but studying the situation carefully i can't agree with you.
    It's a tricky situation i think but if you stick by the official definition,you can't go wrong.

You are stretching the word latino.
    I am going strictly by the way the official definition,not your definition.
    After this i am moving on because i would have said what i needed to say about this.

I will try to make this short.
    I never said latinos were only european.
    The word from what i understand are those who are culturally spanish.

This what i am going by.
    What is considered a Latino?
    Definition
    The United States Census uses the ethnonym Hispanic or Latino to refer to "a person of Dominican, Cuban, Mexican, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin regardless of race". ... The U.S. Census and the OMB use the terms interchangeably, where both terms are synonyms.
    That's it,nothing more,nothing less.
    By the way looking strictly at the definition black condor is native american only,not latino.

Let's get back to the blue beetle example.
    Blue beetle is not native american culturally,he is latino culturally but looks native american.
    Race wise he is native american/asian origin but culturally and ethnically he is not native american.

Black condor is listed as only navajo.
    In his bio he does not have two ethnic identities.
    If he did,fine but he does not.
    Plain and simple.
    If he did like echo the latino/native american female superhero from marvel then fine, but he just does not.

Mayans and aztecs for example are not latinos.
    They are culturally native american like black condor.
    Strictly black condor bio says he is native american only,regardless of his last name.
    Another example,just because someone has a arab last name or first name or some arab influence,does not make them arab.

Just because he has some latino influence(last name)does not mean he is a latino plus he is not even listed as latino in any superhero wiki list i have seen but he is listed has a native american superhero and he is from north america.

This combined with what i wrote above makes me come to the conclusion he is only native american.
    That's all i have to say about that.
    Moving on.
    Last edited by mace11; 02-02-2019 at 02:37 PM.

We will have agree to disagree.
    You putting words in my mouth by the way and i still disagree with you.
    I thought at first he may have been native american and latino too when i first saw the name of the character and pictures but studying the situation carefully i can't agree with you.
    It's a tricky situation i think but if you stick by the official definition,you can't go wrong.

You are stretching the word latino.
    I am going strictly by the way the official definition,not your definition.
    After this i am moving on because i would have said what i needed to say about this.

I will try to make this short.
    I never said latinos were only european.
    The word from what i understand are those who are culturally spanish.

This what i am going by.
    What is considered a Latino?

That's it,nothing more,nothing less.
    By the way looking strictly at the definition black condor is native american only,not latino.

Let's get back to the blue beetle example.
    Blue beetle is not native american culturally,he is latino culturally but looks native american.
    Race wise he is native american/asian origin but culturally and ethnically he is not native american.

Black condor is listed as only navajo.
    In his bio he does not have two ethnic identities.
    If he did,fine but he does not.
    Plain and simple.
    If he did like echo the latino/native american female superhero from marvel then fine, but he just does not.

Mayans and aztecs for example are not latinos.
    They are culturally native american like black condor.
    Strictly black condor bio says he is native american only,regardless of his last name.
    Another example,just because someone has a arab last name or first name or some arab influence,does not make them arab.

Just because he has some latino influence(last name)does not mean he is a latino plus he is not even listed as latino in any superhero wiki list i have seen but he is listed has a native american superhero and he is from north america.

This combined with what i wrote above makes me come to the conclusion he is only native american.
    That's all i have to say about that.
    Moving on.
    I'm not trying to get too much into this argument but from my understanding the idea that Hispanic and Latino are synonymous is a common misconception. Although, you can be Hispanic AND Latino and you can be either/or. Latino means of Latin American origin which would include places like Brazil and other Portugues speaking Latin nations, whereas Hispanic means Spanish speaking/Spanish (as in Spain) in origin which would exclude places like Brazil who were colonized by the Portuguese and not the Spaniards and thus doesn't always necessarily mean Brazilians can claim Spanish origin. However, Latinx communities have pretty mixed ancestry so there end up being overlap which is where the confusion comes in. Mind you, for transparency sake, I am neither Latino nor Hispanic; just heavily associated.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 02-02-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Titans is looking for a hearing-impaired, ASL fluent, mixed-Latino or mixed-Asian actor for the role of Jericho.

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1785446

Having an actor who knows ASL and is deaf is a nice touch and extra points for looking for non white actors as well.

Otoh, Jericho is mute in the comics not deaf so there’s an issue with treating disabilities as interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Seems like Jessica is coming for that number two spot. She is only 3 votes below Renee Montoya. Kyle is up there too. Jaime is still firmly at #1 though.
    I hadn't read Green Lantern stuff in a while but I just finished the entire run of Green Lanterns this week and I am definitely a Jessica Cruz fan, probably the best developed new character in ages on both the DC and Marvel sides. It's a shame that she is underused on JLO, hopefully the new writers taking over in a couple of issues can actually utilize Jessica better on that run, or get her out of there and put her on a different team. I miss Jessica having snarky conversations with her ring, I think that was the most awesome element of her personality as a GL, she has all this anxiety so she talks to her ring more than the other GL's do, and she treats her ring like an actual person so it developed an independent personality of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    I hadn't read Green Lantern stuff in a while but I just finished the entire run of Green Lanterns this week and I am definitely a Jessica Cruz fan, probably the best developed new character in ages on both the DC and Marvel sides. It's a shame that she is underused on JLO, hopefully the new writers taking over in a couple of issues can actually utilize Jessica better on that run, or get her out of there and put her on a different team. I miss Jessica having snarky conversations with her ring, I think that was the most awesome element of her personality as a GL, she has all this anxiety so she talks to her ring more than the other GL's do, and she treats her ring like an actual person so it developed an independent personality of it's own.
    Her interactions with her ring kind of remind of Jaime's interactions with his scarab. The ring (like Jaime's scarab) is it's own character with a distinct personality. Makes reading her books more fun.

I now want to see Jaime and Jessica meet!

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Her interactions with her ring kind of remind of Jaime's interactions with his scarab. The ring (like Jaime's scarab) is it's own character with a distinct personality. Makes reading her books more fun.

I now want to see Jaime and Jessica meet!
    haha, and have Jaime's scarab and Jessica's ring make snarky comments at each other, that would be hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    haha, and have Jaime's scarab and Jessica's ring make snarky comments at each other, that would be hilarious.
    Now I need to see this happen! Lol both her ring and his scarab are so sassy

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I'm not trying to get too much into this argument but from my understanding the idea that Hispanic and Latino are synonymous is a common misconception. Although, you can be Hispanic AND Latino and you can be either/or. Latino means of Latin American origin which would include places like Brazil and other Portugues speaking Latin nations, whereas Hispanic means Spanish speaking/Spanish (as in Spain) in origin which would exclude places like Brazil who were colonized by the Portuguese and not the Spaniards and thus doesn't always necessarily mean Brazilians can claim Spanish origin. However, Latinx communities have pretty mixed ancestry so there end up being overlap which is where the confusion comes in. Mind you, for transparency sake, I am neither Latino nor Hispanic; just heavily associated.
    Indeed, Hispanic is a broader (and thus less clear) category. As I understand it, it refers to peoples who are at least partially related by ethnicity and/or culture to the Iberian Peninsula, which obviously included Spaniard and Portuguese, their descendants in Europe who can be "mixed" (as in, one parent only from Spain or Portugal, which is my case), and the inhabitants of the North, Central and South American former colonies from those countries (the actual Latinos). Now, I don't know if it would include the peoples born into the former Portuguese colonies in Africa in the last two centuries or if they are only considered Black.

Then again, I'm not as adept as US citizens when it comes down to all those categories. Unlike North America, with only two countries in its massive landmass, Europe is filled with 50 countries (a quarter of the total number of countries in the world!) and a lot of conflicting and conflicted history. Which usually boils down to the fact that while in each country, cases of racial abuse often fall along the same lines than in the US there is also a relatively high level of racial prejudices between White peoples from different countries. Plus, I'm French and it's forbidden to have censuses about religion and ethnicity here. In fact, if you're in France and you use the word race to describe someone, well, it basically paint you as a racist.

According to reports, Carlos Valdes may be leaving The Flash after season 5.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/carl...lash-season-5/

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    According to reports, Carlos Valdes may be leaving The Flash after season 5.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/carl...lash-season-5/
    And there goes Vibe. I wonder who they'll replace him with?