View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27333435363738394041 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think she falls under indigenous american representation not latino

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...ers-In-The-DCU
    Ah, so Indigenous peoples of the Americas doesn’t apply to South America then, nor can they be Latino at the same time?

While Latinos have a high percentage of Indigenous heritage in their veins, culturally speaking, they are quite distinct from Natives who have usually managed to at least preserve elements of their culture (religion, role of the elders, etc.) which are quite distinct from Latino. In fact, some groups in the Amazonian region have preserved a lot more than that and I think it the case for Ya'wara (even if I guess she could also be Bushinengue and not Native).

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    While Latinos have a high percentage of Indigenous heritage in their veins, culturally speaking, they are quite distinct from Natives who have usually managed to at least preserve elements of their culture (religion, role of the elders, etc.) which are quite distinct from Latino. In fact, some groups in the Amazonian region have preserved a lot more than that and I think it the case for Ya'wara (even if I guess she could also be Bushinengue and not Native).
    That’s interesting, because I’ve seen multiple sources mentioning of Ya'wara being Brazilian, thus from South America, but yeah, I suppose it isn’t quite as defined for her.

I guess it would depend on what the sources meant by Brazilian. She could be from Brazil but not a citizen (some native groups are not considered citizens of Brazil, for instance) or she could be a member of a tribe who recognize themselves as citizens of Brazil. Or she could be a non-native (probably Black/Native biracial, they are relatively common in some parts of South America. Or she can be part of one of the group of former slaves who managed to flee from their masters and became the Bushinengue, if some of them live in Brazil (but I'm not sure they do, I think they are mostly in Suriname and French Guyana).

There's probably zero chance of it happening, but I propose Cisco Ramon joining the DMA (Department of Metahuman Affairs) book.

Bunker is my favorite. He's cute, fun and one of DC's most prominent gay men. I wish he was in a monthly team book again, like Titans or Young Justice.
    I also have a lot of love for Renee Montoya and Hawkgirl, I'd love to see them both with bigger roles.
    I love Cisco/Vibe on the CW.

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    Bunker is my favorite. He's cute, fun and one of DC's most prominent gay men. I wish he was in a monthly team book again, like Titans or Young Justice.
    I also have a lot of love for Renee Montoya and Hawkgirl, I'd love to see them both with bigger roles.
    I love Cisco/Vibe on the CW.
    I liked Bunker too just wish theyll go beyond ..."loook at how many stereotypes I can break" with his character
    GrindrStone(D)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    I liked Bunker too just wish theyll go beyond ..."loook at how many stereotypes I can break" with his character
    One thing I thought was potentially interesting about Bunker is that we never *saw* his past, only heard him talking about it. He could just be making it up, not wanting to dwell on something unpleasant, like a less-than-accepting family or community. As it stands, he speaks of growing up in some wonderful loving place of tolerance, and yet he's far, far away from that place, by choice...

I just wish Blue Beetle would be included in group shots of DC heroes. Make him one of the “regulars”.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I just wish Blue Beetle would be included in group shots of DC heroes. Make him one of the “regulars”.
    Well, he was in that group shot teasing him turning into one of the Secret Six...

https://dc.fandom.com/wiki/Maria_de_Guzman_(Impact)

Does DC still have access to this character (Maria de Guzman aka Jaguar). I understand she was part of their Impact imprint which now defunct.

Does DC still have access to this character (Maria de Guzman aka Jaguar). I understand she was part of their Impact imprint which now defunct.
    ...I've never even heard of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    ...I've never even heard of her.
    I only recently found out about her today myself. I once proposed a Latin-American female character named Jaguar in one thread here. Imagine my surprise when I found out DC already had one.

That whole line had a lot of potential and I liked several of the characters. I'm pretty sure DC doesn't have the rights anymore as I've seen the line rebooted twice at a different company.

What if Yolanda Montez was re-imagined as a nagual?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagual