View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

https://comicbook.com/dc/news/blue-b...AVEkr2JF1yWHN8

Xolo has done a costume fitting! He also had some great things to say about diversity and POC inclusion.

It's gonna be important, not only for Latinos and to see people of color, brown people, represented onscreen, but also show a story that we haven't really seen before."

Previously, when talking to Variety, the Cobra Kai star sounded ecstatic about being introduced to this comic book world. "The only thing that is on my mind right now is just the fact that he's Latino. I have so much pride in getting to be a part of this project with Angel, someone like him," Maridueña observed. "I think it's so important, and I don't want to stand on the soapbox for too long but representation is so important."

DC Comics Tries To Fix Its Hispanic Heritage Variant Covers Again

These Hispanic Heritage month covers have been a disaster. The originals ranged from cringe to straight up racist.

I get what they were trying to do. Food is hugely important to every culture. It’s become a big part of anime and I’m guessing they wanted to try to carry over that trend. But to an outside observer it just looks bad to have Blue Beetle, a character set to be the first Latino superhero to star in his own movie, flying through the air with a taco in his hand. And the less said about Kyle’s space tamales the better.

All cultures/ethnic groups are proud of their cuisine and it’s something that brings people together. Unfortunately these covers just came off as bad stereotypes.

In the updated cover Jessica is no longer holding a burrito.

And Jaime’s is a totally different image.

Apparently the scarab can grant him the ability to grow his leg super long.

other media outlets like NPR were commenting on these covers.

https://www.npr.org/2022/08/30/11199...-green-lantern

Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez, who is the creator of his own comic book series La Borinqueña and has collaborated with DC Comics in the past, told NPR that he believes these covers are "tasteless."

"I feel that it is incredibly tone-deaf — almost like a parody of our culture when we're reduced down to food, you know? And that, street food," Miranda-Rodriguez said. "It's very, very codified for me. But it also speaks to how unaware they are that this is coded, that this is offensive, that it is tasteless. And it feels very exhausting."
    Last edited by Robotman; 09-15-2022 at 12:43 AM.

Spectacular Member

Is Hawkgirl Cuban?

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling View Post
    Is Hawkgirl Cuban?
    Umm... hmm... well.. some of them are from Thanagar. The reincarnations born on Earth? hard to say for sure.