View Poll Results: Who is your favorite Latino character?

Voters
291. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aztek

8 2.75%
  • Aquagirl (Lorena Marquez)

4 1.37%
  • Bane

28 9.62%
  • Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

65 22.34%
  • Bunker

5 1.72%
  • El Diablo

9 3.09%
  • Fire

24 8.25%
  • Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

45 15.46%
  • Green Lantern (Kyle Rayner)

36 12.37%
  • Hawkgirl (Kendra Sanders)

9 3.09%
  • Pantha

1 0.34%
  • Renee Montoya

35 12.03%
  • Vibe

16 5.50%
  • Other

6 2.06%
Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    [...]
    Mas y Menos
    [...]
    Did they had ever more than just cameos in a Titans Book?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Did they had ever more than just cameos in a Titans Book?
    Not that I know of. They're kind of ridiculous characters that probably wouldn't work in a monthly title. They need to be holding hands in order to run fast.
    Maybe if they just charged up by linking hands and then could run fast separately for a limited time. That would be a lot better I think.
    Last edited by Robotman; 04-27-2016 at 02:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    I think Blue Beetle, Fire, Vibe and El Diablo deserve more attention. I'm glad El Diablo is appearing in Suicide Squad and Vibe is on the Flash show and as far as I know Jaime is going to appear on Justice League Action right? That's some progress
    As I'm not too familiar with him, what is the source of El Diablo's powers in the comics? Magic or science?

I wouldn't mind seeing DC incorporate Young Justice version of El Dorado into the DCU as I quite liked the character. He'd fit perfectly into the Teen Titans. Or you could make a revamped outsiders/runaways with El Dorado, Longshadow/Apache Chief, Wind Dragon/Samurai and Static (in place of Black Vulcan).
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

Extraordinary Member

LR Hot Rumor: Will 'GREEN LANTERN CORPS' Have 3 Lanterns From Earth?

March's BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE is the first step in assembling the Justice League for Zack Snyder's two-part movie event in 2017 and 2019. The Flash, Aquaman and Shazam! will all get solo movies in-between the two parts, then Cyborg and the Green Lantern Corps have movies slated for a 2020 release.
    The inclusion of a Green Lantern Corps movie, and the continuing assumption that there will be a Green Lantern in the Justice League at some point, means that casting for at least one Lantern should be starting soon. That feeling led us to ask our sources about the status of the Green Lanterns, and what we heard back wasn't what we were expecting.
    Kyle Rayner.
    The Green Lantern Corps movie in 2020 won't just feature Hal Jordan and John Stewart--the two most popular Green Lanterns--but also Kyle Rayner was name-dropped as a third Green Lantern from Earth to appear in the film. Another big takeaway is the age of these Lanterns, namely Hal Jordan. who the studio wants to be in the age range of, say, Matt Damon. The other two will be younger.
    To read more open here.
    http://www.latino-review.com/news/lr...ampaign=buffer

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    As I'm not too familiar with him, what is the source of El Diablo's powers in the comics? Magic or science?
    Usually his powers are magic based. He's possessed by an ancient demon who is also a spirit of vengeance. So he's a lot like The Spectre or Ghostrider.

Recently he appeared in Suicide Squad with a design very similar to the movie version. There was no mention of his demonic possession and all he said of his powers was that he has pyrokenesis. So there's a good chance the movie version won't be a super natural being and the comics are now following along.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Usually his powers are magic based. He's possessed by an ancient demon who is also a spirit of vengeance. So he's a lot like The Spectre or Ghostrider.

Recently he appeared in Suicide Squad with a design very similar to the movie version. There was no mention of his demonic possession and all he said of his powers was that he has pyrokenesis. So there's a good chance the movie version won't be a super natural being and the comics are now following along.
    That's an interesting origin. I feel like the whole being possessed by an ancient demon that's a spirit of vengeance seems more unique and cool but I can see why the movie simplified it to pyrokenesis. Its a whole lot simpler and doesn't overlap with Enchantress. I hope he doesn't die and he gets utilized more.

Extraordinary Member

# Renee Montoya
    Renee Maria Montoya is a fictional comic book character published by DC Comics. The character was initially created for Batman: The Animated Series, and was preemptively introduced into mainstream comics before the airing of her animated debut in 1992.

Reception
    Renee Montaya was ranked as the 80th greatest comic book character of all time by Wizard magazine. IGN also listed Montoya as the 87th greatest comic book hero of all time: a character representing ethnic diversity, who has undergone a tremendous personal transformation from humble beginnings.

In other media
    Television
    # Renee Montoya was a recurring character in Batman: The Animated Series, voiced by Ingrid Oliu. She is often serving as a more open-minded and tolerant foil to the more belligerent Harvey Bullock. Like Commissioner Gordon, Montoya is openly supportive of Batman and even works with him in the episode "P.O.V.".
    # Renee Montoya was a recurring character in The New Batman Adventures, voiced by Liane Schirmer.
    # Montoya is featured in the TV series Gotham portrayed by Victoria Cartagena. In this continuity, she is a recovering drug addict and the former lover of Detective James Gordon's fiancee Barbara Kean. She works in the Major Crimes Unit of the Gotham City Police Department where her partner is Crispus Allen. Upon learning that Don Carmine Falcone ordered Detective Jim Gordon to kill Oswald Cobblepot, she becomes obsessed with having him convicted, and in doing so, potentially winning Barbara back. She and Allen successfully find a witness at the Gotham pier who saw the shooting, and they promptly issue a warrant for Gordon's arrest at Barbara's apartment. However, her case is ruined when Cobblepot turns up, alive, at GCPD headquarters. She later saves Gordon during a shootout with Victor Zsasz, and promises to help him take on the mob. She and Crispus Allen did not return as main characters for season two, but they might appear as either recurring characters or often-appearing guest stars.

Renee Montoya, as she appeared in The New Batman Adventures.

Film
    # Renee Montoya appeared in Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero, voiced by Liane Schirmer.
    # Renee Montoya appeared in Batman: Bad Blood, voiced by Vanessa Marshall. In the film, she meets Katie/Batwoman at a bar where they two seem to get along. Katie gives Renee her contact info hoping to see her again. She later appears at the end of the film where she joins Katie and her father for breakfast.

Web series
    Renee Montoya was a recurring character in Gotham Girls, voiced by Adrienne Barbeau.

Video games
    # Renee Montoya, partnered with Harvey Bullock, appeared in a short cutscene in Batman: Dark Tomorrow.
    # Montoya as The Question appears in DC Universe Online.
    # Montoya is referenced in Batman: Arkham Knight, in the GCPD headquarters, there is a board listing detectives' shifts, including Montoya.

Radio
    Montoya was played by Lorelei King in BBC Radio's 1994 adaptation of Knightfall.
    Last edited by mace11; 04-28-2016 at 03:44 PM.

I wonder if Renee Montoya will appear in the Batman solo movie. I think she is a cool character.

I can't wait to see El Diablo on the big screen though. After that movie i believe he will officially become DC's most known Latino hero, surpassing Blue Beetle, Vibe and Renee.

Fire, Vibe, Tarantula, and Kyle Rayner are favorites of mine.

Loving Tarantula's new look here.

Last edited by Herowatcher; 04-29-2016 at 11:39 PM.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Herowatcher View Post
    Fire, Vibe, Tarantula, and Kyle Rayner are favorites of mine.

Loving Tarantula's new look here.

Damn, that is a great design! It may be an awful series but at least we get nice covers out of it!

Does DC officially recognize Kyle as a Latino? I know a lot of fans do but do the comics acknowledge his heritage?

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    Does DC officially recognize Kyle as a Latino? I know a lot of fans do but do the comics acknowledge his heritage?
    In Tom King's amazing Omega Men book he included a controversial scene of Kyle saying the rosery in Spanish. The book has touched on war, culture, religion, totems, tradition, etc. So the scene worked with the themes that King had set in place. But fans were confused as Kyle has never shown that he could speak spanish or that he was very religious. He was raised by his mom who was white and didn't meet his Mexican-American father until he was already a Green Lantern. So the scene didn't make much sense.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-01-2016 at 02:44 PM.

Reposting this here-

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Probably the biggest push-of-faith DC can show El Diablo right now, is having him around in the books when the movie hits, yet it looks like he's being dropped from the comic for the Rebirth Squad.
    Which speaks to DC still struggling to see their first Latino character beyond a one note D list cliche ridden character.
    If there was any doubt about Santana's fate, the "new" Suicide Squad roster...

If anyone is still wondering or claiming otherwise how a Latino (and Native American) rose to be prominently featured in DC/WB film.
    It's ONLY because of the nature of concept THEY NEEDED A CHARACTER TO SACRIFICE!
    You can see above the characters they are genuinely interested in developing further.
    It it does not include Santana, whose identity will be used and left as a one note cliche.

And don't get me wrong, I love the expendable theme of the Squad, knowing they are there to die, it's what makes it work, the character role is important, I like this character, I'm ecstatic to see him on film and hoping he is a character you can root for, till hopefully his epic yet predictable end. And that he isn't just punked (see poor slipknot for that). I appreciate the arc (despite however horribly cliched it is) of a salvatrucha looking gang member trying for redemption, to do something right with the last moment of his life, it's tragic and powerful, a great theme and character rooted in some truths, that should be explored.

But the underlying (if it wasn't so disgusting it would be laughable) irony is that it is because the implicitly "expendable" nature of the role, that we get a Latino "superhero" on film at all, that they took that opportunity and reached into their pantheon of "who do we have that is most expendable" and that is where it defaulted to roles for native american and mexican american male on film.

Those are not the characters who get to survive, who you get to follow to other great adventures.
    That truth shouldn't be lost on anyone.

A look at their in development film properties, doesn't have roles for latino hero leads.
    They have none (because they never created one) to stand shoulder to shoulder with their biggest franchise JL.
    Vibe is a sidekick.
    Blue & Gold will likely default to the popular Ted Kord & Booster Gold
    Renee Montoya is dead in the comics, the next wave of Bat Films if she's used at all will be likely a background cop.
    And these are their supposed most prominent most pushed, well developed Latino characters they have, and they have no chance.
    Last edited by Güicho; 05-03-2016 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post

I wouldn't mind seeing DC incorporate Young Justice version of El Dorado into the DCU as I quite liked the character. He'd fit perfectly into the Teen Titans. Or you could make a revamped outsiders/runaways with El Dorado, Longshadow/Apache Chief, Wind Dragon/Samurai and Static (in place of Black Vulcan).
    I love the Young Justice update of Eduardo Dorado, and that's a beautiful take on him^
    With Dorado now being his given name, I'd make his hero name Desperado!

As well as their updates of the other Hanna Barbera created Super Friends: Apache, Vulcan(with Virgil as stand in) and Samurai (although I'd ultimately want to see Toshio Eto & Asami Koizumi as their own unique characters)

I've always been hoping the cartoon or DC would have followed up pitching them as their own Young Justice spin-off team:

I'd go even further adding all the Hanna Barbera creations Exor Twins as well, and with the few tweeks and name updates making them a team of 7

1. Tye Apache Longshadow
    2. Buster Volt Jones [named after the man who voiced Vulcan] /if vergil isn't available.
    3. Eduardo Desperado Dorado
    4. Toshio Samurai Wind-Dragon Eto
    5. Asami (Chi(氣) ) Koizumi
    6. Exor Twins Zan & Jayna
    7. Rima (the Birdgirl)

Last edited by Güicho; 05-03-2016 at 12:25 PM.