Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "The Walking Dead" Recap: "Last Day On Earth" Trolls Fans in Season Finale

A perfect introduction to Negan and overall solid episode gets undercut by yet another trollish cliffhanger in a season that's been full of them.

Full article here.

Lol. I still say "troll" is a term too far...to each their own I guess..

Cliffhangers have been around as long as I can remember. This one did it's job. I was considering quitting on the show after this season but now I will be tuning in next season to see how this all turns out.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    Cliffhangers have been around as long as I can remember. This one did it's job. I was considering quitting on the show after this season but now I will be tuning in next season to see how this all turns out.
    You literally just explained the issue: you were considering quitting the show but they focused on trying to make sure you came back rather than tell a good story.

Cliffhangers existing is not an excuse for one being poorly written.

This was something the entire season was leading up to and they upped the tension throughout this episode. I thought the episode itself was fantastic. It was frightening and really built up the sense that the group was truly in over their heads this time, leading to the scene everyone was waiting for. Instead, they took one of the most memorable moments in the comic series -- if not comics in general -- and turned it into a cheap cliffhanger.

It completely ruined the tension of that entire long final scene. Instead, season 7 will begin (likely) with the death from Negan's point of view and it won't be as rewarding without the tension that had just been built up the previous hour and a half.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I am glad that so far they didn't show the brutal beating of the Negan's chosen victim. We don't need to see it and besides it seems like there seems to be a sort of restraint imposed perhaps by the creative staff themselves. When I read issue #100 I gave up on the comic again after quitting it with the sadism of the governor. We get it Kirkman, it's the other humans are more dangerous and more evil than the walkers.

Writing on the wall The Celtic Batman's Avatar

Imo it was WAY too obvious an ending. I called it over a month ago. And in saying that im not saying that was 'genius' of me, I bet loads of viewers called it. The only thing that surprised me was how many of Rick's group were on their knees. But otherwise those last 10 minutes played out exactly as I'd imagined. Which is a shame as I thought the rest of the episode was brilliant
    We're all the Doom Patrol!!!
    Opinions come in all shapes and sizes.
    But they're still just opinions yo

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    You literally just explained the issue: you were considering quitting the show but they focused on trying to make sure you came back rather than tell a good story.

Cliffhangers existing is not an excuse for one being poorly written.

This was something the entire season was leading up to and they upped the tension throughout this episode. I thought the episode itself was fantastic. It was frightening and really built up the sense that the group was truly in over their heads this time, leading to the scene everyone was waiting for. Instead, they took one of the most memorable moments in the comic series -- if not comics in general -- and turned it into a cheap cliffhanger.

It completely ruined the tension of that entire long final scene. Instead, season 7 will begin (likely) with the death from Negan's point of view and it won't be as rewarding without the tension that had just been built up the previous hour and a half.

Couldn't agree more, the 8 months or whatever we will be waiting kills any of the tension that the episode had built up, the moment is gone, sacrificed for a ratings hook.
    shame

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I am glad that so far they didn't show the brutal beating of the Negan's chosen victim. We don't need to see it and besides it seems like there seems to be a sort of restraint imposed perhaps by the creative staff themselves. When I read issue #100 I gave up on the comic again after quitting it with the sadism of the governor. We get it Kirkman, it's the other humans are more dangerous and more evil than the walkers.
    That's literally the point of the comic and TV show so I'm not sure why you're watching it, let alone happy they didn't show the "brutal beating."

They will likely be showing it in the opening scene of season 7, by the way, but probably not as brutal what we saw in the comic.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeoVGM View Post
    That's literally the point of the comic and TV show so I'm not sure why you're watching it, let alone happy they didn't show the "brutal beating."

They will likely be showing it in the opening scene of season 7, by the way, but probably not as brutal what we saw in the comic.
    I can watch the show because they've toned down the comic quite a bit which is why I quit reading it. I find the show to be an improvement to tell the truth. Do you honestly think they would have shown the Governor torturing and raping Michonne like what happened in the comic? And they changed his victim to Andrea on the TV show.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I can watch the show because they've toned down the comic quite a bit which is why I quit reading it. I find the show to be an improvement to tell the truth. Do you honestly think they would have shown the Governor torturing and raping Michonne like what happened in the comic? And they changed his victim to Andrea on the TV show.
    You mean Maggie?
    Original join date: sometime in 2002

Quote Originally Posted by hulahulk View Post
    You mean Maggie?
    Michonne was repeatedly raped by the Governor in the comic. What she did as revenge was far more graphic also.
    On the TV show, he didn't rape Maggie, IIRC he just made her undress. Andrea is the one he strapped in the dentist chair and was going to torture like he planned for Michonne. She had seen him getting out all sorts of implements to torture Michonne with and ran away to warn the prison that the Governor wasn't going to go through with the truce. He caught her and brought Andrea back but he left her strapped into the chair with a dying Milton to take care of her.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 04-04-2016 at 09:24 AM.

WolfmanSlick

Are you new to television? Cliffhangers have been a part of TV way before The Walking Dead has been on the air. Ever hear of "Who shot J.R.?" There are shows that have ended every season with a cliffhanger. I am just tired of critics bashing shows simply because the creators choose to do things differently than they would. Here’s an idea, you don’t like it, stop watching.

I really liked the building up of tension throughout the whole episode. Though having a cliffhanger ending just leaves you with a bad feeling until October. There isn't any resolution (obviously) or release of the tension. So that kind of bothered me. I don't see TWD as a show in any kind of ratings trouble. So I don't think it was a stunt to pull people back in for another season. Perhaps it was to make sure people actually do come back for the next season. If the person they actually killed is incredibly popular, they risk loosing viewers with the death. If they reveal it in the first episode of next season, viewers may stick around to see if Negan gets his rather than bail on the show.

Stupid ending. Perfect jumping off point for me.

I used to love Lost. But after the flash forward crap, I lost interest. Congrats, TWD...you're now in the same boat.

Spectacular Member

Worst thing about the ending: It isn't the 80s anymore. The victim's identity is going to become apparent within the next 3 months as their agent tries to line up work for them. It will then be all over the place, spoiling any suspense they hoped to generate.