Default How many non-mutant things are actually part of the Mythos??

Yeah, because I'm counting quite a few. Would be cool to see us list all of them, here, to lay out what parts of X-men are not actually about Mutants in one form or another, as such:

Stan and Jack:

The Savage Land
    The Stranger
    The Z'nox
    Juggernaut (Cyttorrak, Crimson Cosmos)
    The Quists (humanoid aliens ruled by the Super-computer Dominus - Dominex, Lucifer)

Claremont:

The Sh'Iar (Gladiator, the Imperial Guard)
    The Phoenix Force (well, I suppose this one is arguable... but Claremont himself said in Excalibur that SORCERORS can wield it as well)
    Mojoverse
    The Technarch
    Limbo (Soulsword, Belasco, S'ym, Elder-gods)
    Brood
    Sidri (Sidrian Hunters - intelligent alien insectoids)
    N'Garai (demon-spawn of the elder-god Chthon, resides in parallel hell-like dimension)
    R'utai (demonic former slave-race of the N'Garai, Pilgrim is a member of their species)
    The Siege Perilous (mystical mirror and door-way, alters the very fate of those who walk through it)

Everybody else:

Krakatoa (sentient eco-system)
    Sublime (sentient primal bacterial colony)
    Trion & their Realm (mystical extra-dimensional principalities - beings that are neither gods nor demons, similar to Cytorrak, Ejulp is an inhabitant for instance.)
    The Phalanx
    Breakworld (Ord, Powerlord Kruun)
    Last edited by L.R Johansson; 04-09-2016 at 01:06 PM.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Belasco
    Limbo
    Soulsword
    Brood
    Sidri
    N'Gari
    X-Men Forever

Moira Mactaggert.
    Lee Forrester.

When I read the title, "Moira!" was the first thing I thought

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

The Imperial Guard

Breakworld

Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, apparently :^)

BANNED

I don't think you can list characters like Moira considering they were so directly involved with the X-Men themselves. IE Moira was Wolfsbane's guardian/mother figure, besides the fact that either she or Lilandra were the love of Xavier's life. You can't really say she's "not about mutants."

The Siege Perilous
    The World

Cheers for the help, guys! = ) I've made some updates to the list.

You know... looking at this list, it's kind of crazy how many concepts Claremont introduced that doesn't really have anything whatsoever to do with the basic core-concept, the story-engine of the X-men - human mutants with incredible powers living among us, hated and feared by the normal population.

Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, since there's a lot of fun comics in there, but why do you guys think that is? Why does Claremont stray from the core-concept the second he has a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, since there's a lot of fun comics in there, but why do you guys think that is? Why does Claremont stray from the core-concept the second he has a chance?
    He wrote about things he came across and liked.

For example, the Brood was added after he saw Alien.

I know Mutant Master and Lucifer (and the Quists) were both pretty minor villains but they were still non-mutant elements in the early x-books so they would count. Especially Lucifer since he was the one responsible for crippling Xavier.

Also, would Alpha Flight count? I know that the team has featured mutants pretty regularly but it has rarely been mainly about the mutants. Mostly and mainly they are just the Avengers of Canada so to speak.

Also do elements that have been heavily involved in the X-Men like Captain Britain count as non-mutant elements. Granted Captain Britain is his own property but unlike most other properties he has been heavily featured in the X-Men comics and teams. And so has Carol Danvers at one point but her involvement was pretty period specific whereas CB has been in and out of x-books for decades, ever since his first introduction to x-books.

I was also going to mention Sentinels as a non-mutant element but they are still created as anti-mutant weapons so if we go by the definition stated in the OP then they are mutant related. But then Moira probably wouldn't count either since she has been pretty heavily involved with the mutants (being a researcher on all things mutant) since her introduction. But what about Starjammers? They're not mutants and their closest relation to mutants is that they are led by the father of two prominent mutants (and at one point had some mutant members).

And what about characters like Lady Deathstrike, Donald Pierce and Reavers who are not mutants and were not really (at least originally) motivated by mutant related things (like hatred of mutants specifically) but have later become more anti-mutant? Do they count or not? I have to say that the original definition of listing things that are not mutant related is kind of hard to classify. It would be easier to just list non-mutant characters and elements.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    Cheers for the help, guys! = ) I've made some updates to the list.

You know... looking at this list, it's kind of crazy how many concepts Claremont introduced that doesn't really have anything whatsoever to do with the basic core-concept, the story-engine of the X-men - human mutants with incredible powers living among us, hated and feared by the normal population.

I think that part of this was that Claremont knew that if he only focused on mutants and their struggle it would soon get repetitive and boring. So he liked to mix it up by telling all kinds of different stories while keeping the mutant struggle in the background as a backdrop element that he only occasionally fully tapped on. And if you ask me that's much better! If the books focused solely on the mutant struggle while ignoring everything else (like they tend to do these days) it does get really annoying because it makes the stories feel repetitive and boring. Honestly, that's one of my major issues with the FoX-Men films as well! They focus only on X-Men as civil rights activists/mutant search adn rescue unit which is fine for a story or two but it's not the only thing X-Men do! X-Men are so much more than just that! And what originally drew me into X-Men was that they were so diverse and multifaceted. Sometimes they fought anti-mutant extremists or mutant terrorists and sometimes they fought space invaders or evil demons and sorcerers! It just makes for more exciting and interesting stories when there is some variance in them!

BANNED

Brood Saga was inspired by abortion, NOT Aliens. Practically every X-Man in it gets a spectacular abortion. Brood Queen was fierce. Perhaps one of the best villainess CC has ever written.

For on theme, CC also came up with Genosha which was great (great as in shocking entertainment value, not a great place lol). While it was a neat idea inverting it with Magneto. I think it was a lot more powerful as originally made. Especially with other governments unable to do anything much. I was actually scared for the X-Men during the first storyline.
    Last edited by DDD; 04-09-2016 at 04:15 PM.