Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default "Batman And Robin Eternal" vs "Robin War"

So, now that both are over - which Gordon-era tale of Bruceless Robins did you prefer?

Both are definately imperfect items - and "Robin War" suffers specifically for ending on a cliffhanger that we haven't seen addressed at all - and both are guilty of sidelining characters who should have had a larger role.

BRE makes a commendable effort to introduce new villains and characters - Mother, Orphan, Sculptor - but, unfortunately, not a one of them is especially interesting. Whereas the Owl involvement in Robin War comes with some great iconography, and the return of Lincoln March, both previously popular elements. But there's not a lot too them - the Talons are footsoldiers now, and March steps out of nowhere towards the end of the event.

Both do a pretty good job with Damian - his scene in BRE where he sets the other Robins straight is a bit of a highlight, both for himself and for the clear emotional growth and openness of Bruce between the time spent training Dick in the flashbacks and his time training Damian more recently. Whereas Damian walking into a self-sacrifical trap in Robin War because he's taking Batman-sized responsibility onto Robin-sized shoulders is tragically believable and in character, as is it's place as the bait to give the Owls ownership of Dick.

So, what do we think? For me, Robin War has the edge. I came out of the final issue with greater affection for Duke Thomas, whereas I probably liked Harper a little less by the end of BRE, and although Tim and Jason are sidelined in both - their escape from the cages in Robin War has a kind of ridiculous joy to it that was lacking in their fairly irrelevant Bane/Azrael subplot. Dick is a fairly bland "pleasant person" in BRE, finding himself positioned as the lead but not actually taking much action by himself - and worse, often used as base for Mother or Harper to monologue about their own importance and significance. Robin War shows us Dick betraying his friends and manages to make it seem in-character, which shows a greater courage in writing.

Incredible Member

As far as a Dick Grayson story I will go with Robin War. If Nightwing Rebirth doesn't address the ending of Robin War I will have to re-evaluate my position on this.

Extraordinary Member

Both didn't really deliver what I would have liked to, which was the Robin really working as a team, giving each a similar important role, and highlighting his individual strength. And both sacrificed a logic and consistent plot to somehow get cool looking scenes in.

As a Robin story I would probably give the edge to Robin War. Since it was really Robin centred while Eternal was more a Cass and Harper Story, and sidelined the Robins to much in favour of other characters (like Midnighter, Azrael, Bane and the Spyral guys).

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    and although Tim and Jason are sidelined in both - their escape from the cages in Robin War has a kind of ridiculous joy to it that was lacking in their fairly irrelevant Bane/Azrael subplot.
    Even if I'm a big fan of Tim and Jason and liked the prison scene, I think it would have been probably better if they hadn't been in that event. Without them playing babysitter for the WAR-Kids, the Kids could had have done more on their own. It was after all supposed to be an event about them, but apart from Duke they were all sidelined. And appart from the prison break scene Jason and Tims role in this (end especially the way they were removed from the final showdown) wasn't really satisfying for me.
    The Bane/Azrael subplot gave at least finally Tim the opportunity to show off his skills, but failed to do the same for Jason and turned him imo basically in Tims sidekick.
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-04-2016 at 02:26 PM.

For me it's Robin War, despite it's faults, it wasn't the long drawn out mediocrity that was BRE.
    Robin War fleshed out Duke at bit more, created a plot line for Dick moving forward, and allowed issues in regards to Damian to be at least touched on, all in a short span. It had problems, but it also had a limited amount of issues, so I'm more forgiving in that regard. Also, it had some modicum of surprise to it, the double cross by Dick or Damian siding with the Owls weren't things you could see coming miles off. The series also added another layer to an already pretty good Gotham baddie in the Owls, by taking them to a global scale, that at least has potential.
    BRE had a lot more pages to work with and really didn't seem to actually accomplish much. Cassandra got reintroduced, and Harper's backstory got fleshed out, but in 26 issues, not much else of consequence really happened. Most of the story seemed really paint by numbers too, written with the subtle nuance of dropping anvils, every story development seemed to be called out by readers weeks in advance because they could see the twists coming in their sleep. Also, the villains weren't very good at all, Mother was a pale pretender to the al Ghul/Bond villain level mastermind figure and Orphan/David Cain was in no way more interesting than his previous incarnation.

Robin war was better. It wasn't a great story but it was short, had some good moments, didn't ignore Damian existence and actually was about Robins.

Wasn't perfect but Robin War was the better of the two. It kept my interest till the end. Where with Batman And Robin Eternal there came a point where i was just waiting for it to end.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

It's Robin War for me as well. Overall while some issues has their faults it told a decent story and one that I was able to thoroughly enjoy. It fleshed out Duke Thomas's character, which is important for him going forward as a potential partner to Batman. It added more depth to the Owls and in so doing made them seem more formidable then they have been. It also developed a new plot line for Dick that is seemingly going to figure in the new Nightwing series. I was also genuinely surprised by the twists in it and both the Court of Owls and the Councilwoman felt like very real threats.

B&RE was better then BE so I'll give it that. Having said that though I came away from it feeling pretty disappointed in the villains, who I thought were lame and because a lot of the time I felt like I knew what was going to happen before it happened, which made all the so called twists in the story fall flat to me. It still lacked a bit of subtlety and it probably would have worked out better as an even shorter stories then it was to tighten things up a bit more. In the end this one left me coming to a decision to avoid weeklies in the future because every one of them had been a disappointment to me in one way or another and I've ended up feeling like I've wasted both my time and my money.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-04-2016 at 07:03 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I will continue the consensus. Although Robin War was uneven and it's central developments are as yet unexplored, overall it was clearly the superior story. That's especially true with regard to the characters of Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne, but in general it was simply better plotted, more thematically rich, and potentially more impactful for the Bat Family and beyond.

Batman and Robin Eternal had a lot of ups and downs, with some good writing and a lot of very mediocre writing, although no truly bad writing. The flashbacks to the early days of Dick as Robin were generally good. The development of Harper, Cullen, and Cassandra was effective. But the villains were not impressive and the plot was extremely predictable. In addition, like Batman Eternal it was forced to carry continuity threads and plot seeds that had little to do with the story at hand. Finally, the ultimate theme, while certainly welcome, could have been handled better than just having Damian lay it out bluntly in a memory-cum-sermonette. Even the final conversation between Dick and Bruce was much too on-the-nose (or maybe on-the-snout since we are dealing with bats) to be really resonate emotionally.

Incredible Member

In my opinion:
    Batman and Robin Eternal > Batman Eternal > Robin War.
    Batman Eternal was meh, IMO...Batman and Robin Eternal had its lows, but it was all around good IMO, i enjoyed alot all issues of B&RE minus issues: 3,4,5 and the other one that Seeley wrote (20,21 or 22, can't remember which) on issue it seemed almost like a non-cannon story, then we have some issues that gave way the impression of being fillers, but the story dragging out a big its expected for a weekly series with 26 issues, so it's OK for me...Also, Batman Eternal gave us the return of Stephanie Brown, while Batman and Robin Eternal gave us the return of Cassandra Cain, plus 2 more great villains in David Cain and The Mother (sure, they are dead, but we all know that no-one important stays dead for long in the comics) not to mention the development of Harper and Cullen Row on both Eternals...the only real major flaw of the first Eternal was getting too many characters from which the writters had no real plans for in the book, but that was mainly DC Editorial fault, and Babs appearing on B&RE issue 4 and 5 was nothing more than marketing strategy, it actually looked like DC was telling us, to remember to read Batgirl, lol. But story-wise B&RE gets no complaints from me.
    Robin War, on the other hand, was downright bad...Tim and Jason were made look awesome in one issue, so that they could job and make Damian look even more awesome while beating them on the final issue...the issue that Gleason wrote (a very good writter in my opinon) was completely off in a lot of ways...The Talons were butchered, we seen Tim telling the war kids to not hold back (like if it should matter, lol) and then they can actually hold their own against them, wereas at first the Talons were considerable threats being able to dominate several bat-family members (Jason, Damian, Catwoman and Batgirl, had penty of trouble, when the Talons first arrived)...Also, The Court was a Gotham City threat, and now its retconed into being international, thus losing the "people rich of Gotham trying to portect the city, for its best interest's" angle, which was the way they were introduced...And the final reveal of the arc, is meh, in the sense that it really doesn't set up anything, because we already know that Dick is taking down Spyral as Grayson is ending, plus giving the Robin War arc credict for devolping the multiple robins running around plus Duke, isn't really fair, considerng that the We Are Robin monthly did just that, and its the main responsable for it.
    In the end, if anything, amoung other things, Batman Eternal will be remembered as Stephanie Brown return, B&RE will be remembered as Cassandra Cain's return, and both of them as the start of Harper Row, while Robin War was pretty forgettable, IMO.
    Last edited by bat_girl_cc; 04-05-2016 at 02:37 AM.

both were terrible stories, but at least robin war was short. I think both stories will be forgotten quickly.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Robin war was better. It wasn't a great story but it was short, had some good moments, didn't ignore Damian existence and actually was about Robins.
    Did you even read B&RE until the end? or did you dropped it after issue #1?...i'm asking because, Damian appears, he has at least one defining moment, which its more than i can say for Robin War...and B&RE was, well, ALL about the Robins...even Harper, Steph and Cass are referred to as Robins in some moments...it was basically a story, about what means to be Robin...Robin War was about making Dick, Damian and Duke look cool, and it did, sadly at the expense of others (poor Jason, Tim and the Talons, i feel for them) but it did little else.

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    the issue that Gleason wrote (a very good writter in my opinon) was completely off in a lot of ways...
    The might be because Patrick Gleason didn't really write an issue of Robin War, because he was sick at the time. Gleason gets credited with the plot, but Ray Fawkes did all the dialogue and any fine tuning of what was likely a rough outline Gleason had passed on to him, so he could step into Gleason's shoes as Gleason was out of commission for a while. Scott McDaniel handled the art for Gleason on that issue as well.

Didn't read B&R:E because I didn't like all the talk of Harper and Cassandra going into an event that was supposed to celebrate Robins (and from what I've heard, I have no regets.) Picked up Robin War and thought it was horrible, so the fact that people liked it more than B&R:E is telling to me.

Extraordinary Member

Did you even read B&RE until the end? or did you dropped it after issue #1?...i'm asking because, Damian appears, he has at least one defining moment, which its more than i can say for Robin War...
    Damian gave one talk, that was only needed since the other acted really out of character. And was completely forgotten afterwards untill nearly the end.

and B&RE was, well, ALL about the Robins...
    No it was mostly about Harper and Cass.

Robin War was about making Dick, Damian and Duke look cool, and it did, sadly at the expense of others (poor Jason, Tim and the Talons, i feel for them)
    And B&RE didn't do that? Just think of that dumb scene were mother suddenly one shots Jason, Tim and Damian (after she had been barely able to held her own against Harper) so Dick could rescue them or Midnighter saving everybody else in the battle before.
    And after his fight with Cass, Jasons only function in this story was to make other characters look good.
    Even the Orphans went within on issue from to good to been taking out by some of DCs strongest non powered heroes, to easily taken down en mass by Spoiler with a taser.
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-05-2016 at 04:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Didn't read Robin War due to a lack of interest, but I want to sum up my opinions on Eternal 1 vs B&RE.

In the finale for both, a major character/characters is seconds away from being killed, when a projectile is used by a character from off-panel, followed by the reveal that it is Spoiler. In Eternal 1, the moment was a culmination of themes the issue and the series had been building towards. In B&RE the corresponding moment was played as a joke. I'm not saying that it had to be the same, but it is emblematic of what I feel the differences between the two series. Whatever their problems, the first Eternal gave me something to think about while the only thing that stands out about B&RE is the occasional good joke among the bad ones.