Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Heavy is the head that carries the burden of the KING.

Everything that happens falls under HIS watch. So yes he get most of the blame.

Dan's issue is he needs to separate his FANBOYISM from the BUSINESS side.

Fan boy behavior props up who YOU like and BURIES who you don't. See the REAL Wally West & the former Batgirls. Hal vs John.

Fan boy behavior is being HAPPY with the fact your favorites or PETS are selling and not caring about everyone else.

Dan has forgotten this is a BUSINESS. He is fighting MARVEL and the others for control of comics.

If folks asked you questions about stuff NOT in your books and about guys like Static-who is MIA year 5. The fan boy cap needs to come off. The business cap needs to be on.

A business man does not care what is selling and making him money. He wants to know how do I get MORE.

A business man is not happy that a biracial Spider-Man has done MORE than Cyborg. Falcon has done more. Luke Cage has done more. Black Panther.....
    Nobody talks about wanting to see Cyborg in Justice League movie-it's always JOHN STEWART. If this Cyborg's time ACT like it.

A business man understands if folks KEEP asking about Static, real Wally, Vixen and others way MORE than Baby Doomsday and others who are actually in books. MAYBE just MAYBE I need them in books.

A business man understands-I can LOVE Hal Jordan but my love for him should NEVER be at the expense of the other Lanterns.

Business man does NOT surround himself with people Dumber than him. When I say that I mean don't just listen to YES MEN or guys who like what you like ONLY. Get some diverse voices who are not afraid to tell NO and can at least give you an understanding of things. Someone to explain why you need x y & z or to think outside the box.

Dan has to be reminded of that. Yes everything is not going to sell like hot cakes BUT how many low selling comics have become movies and tv shows?
    correct on all points.

I agree that DC really tanked at Identity Crisis, when Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns really kicked their nonsense into high gear. Crisis after Crisis. Event after event. Grim darkness everywhere. Worship of old Silver Age characters and trashing of more modern ones. A seeming distaste for stuff that was considerably more successful than their comics and how general people see things, like Cyborg being a Teen Titan instead of Justice Leaguer, Shayera Hol as Hawkgirl, and John Stewart in general, because *in Dan DiDio accent* "We're the source material. We can't follow other media even though that's what general people know and expect, and even though they'll likely reject our stuff when they see it's different and worse." And so on. To me, that hasn't even ended yet. I'm waiting for new management over there. I don't think I'll be satisfied with DC until that happens. Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns just don't agree with my digestive system.
    Last edited by Desh; 04-06-2016 at 04:19 AM.

Amazing Member

Nice to see the costumes without those ridiculous Lee-lines. Would love to see supes wearing his Red underpants again on the outside. (where they belong).
    Last edited by CK99; 04-06-2016 at 11:48 PM.

Incredible Member Prisoner 6655321's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    *in Dan DiDio accent* "We're the source material. We can't follow other media even though that's what general people know and expect, and even though they'll likely reject our stuff when they see it's different and worse."
    I more or less agree with this. The comics ARE the source material.
    Did you know that every atom in our bodies was once part of a star? Think about that… EVERYTHING changes. Caterpillars turn into butterflies and stars turn into @$$holes.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    I'm waiting for new management over there. I don't think I'll be satisfied with DC until that happens. Dan DiDio and Geoff Johns just don't agree with my digestive system.
    Maybe you're right.

And talking about the piece, I don't give a damn about the race or gender of who is writing. I just want to read good and coherent stories, that's all I'm hoping to find in Rebirth.

"I think the argument has been-what is DC doing to look for those diverse writers and artists? You can't boast having great talent in comics if your roster is 100% WHITE STRAIGHT & MALE.

Folks have asked Dan CONSTANTLY how do you pitch to DC Comics? Dan gave a reply and had to be corrected by the POLICY his own company has about it.

Matt Wayne bought up this point after McDuffie died. McDuffie did NOT get to be lead solo writer on a book until the DOOMED Justice League of America run in 2007. This was AFTER Static Shock, Scooby Doo, Hellraiser, Fantastic Four, Deathlok, Damage Control, head editor for all of Milestone, Emmy nominations, writing joke for David Letterman, Hellraiser and editor for Marvel. 22 years.

Yet CM Punk does one story and gets a book. Liefield gets books. Scott McDaniel gets a book. Krul gets book after book after book. That is what irks folks. If white guys with no experience can waltz in why can't everyone else? "

I Agree on this and this attitude is an a front on creativity in general. But it's comic wide issue, seems less of a Marvel issue ... but an issue.... CM Punk more of a celebrity notoritycase thou.... they bank fans maybe follow his books media buzz etc.But this is the propaganda machine at work, the fear of AA and ethnic hacks coming to steal positions of the talented status quo. No it just means ppl who have busted their hump and who have a resume (McDuffie) just get a seat at the adult table. Thou divsity is a heathy biz model, lack of it prob in DCs case is not the major issue as to why they may have veered of course for some fans. The question is, how do they maintain the balance of using emurging voices, regardless of "race", while still keeping to their fundamental brand and identity going forward.
    Last edited by MangoldMoney74; 04-09-2016 at 01:02 PM.

"CM Punk does one story and gets a book. Liefield gets books. Scott McDaniel gets a book. Krul gets book after book after book. That is what irks folks. If white guys with no experience can waltz in why can't everyone else? "

Everyone groans at lodel and a few others but no major outcries of favortism .... no suggestion anyone demand heads on a stick but part of the mandate of these companies is to deliver to us fresh voices.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MangoldMoney74 View Post
    "CM Punk does one story and gets a book. Liefield gets books. Scott McDaniel gets a book. Krul gets book after book after book. That is what irks folks. If white guys with no experience can waltz in why can't everyone else? "

Everyone groans at lodel and a few others but no major outcries of favortism .... no suggestion anyone demand heads on a stick but part of the mandate of these companies is to deliver to us fresh voices.
    I have no issue whatsoever with that.

My point is why are those fresh voices white guys and no one questions their skills. CM Punk with a job is not an issue to me. My issue is everyone got to question the black guys.

See Black Panther's writer. Despite all those awards and books he WROTE-all I heard was he can't write or can he write?

Yet no one did that with CM Punk. No one is belittling the sales of his book like they are Coates Black Panther. Which has a second printing.

Alex Kot was offered a book by Marvel and decline-he suggested letting a black writer do it. The reply he got? "I don't know any."

That is not delivering fresh voices. That is not doing your research to find them-especially if you are at a company the size of Disney where you have at least 3 already there. Huldin, Kevin G, John Ridley, Brandon Eastman & guys like Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross-who can get you some more.

My point is why are those fresh voices white guys and no one questions their skills. CM Punk with a job is not an issue to me. My issue is everyone got to question the black guys.

See Black Panther's writer. Despite all those awards and books he WROTE-all I heard was he can't write or can he write?

Yet no one did that with CM Punk. No one is belittling the sales of his book like they are Coates Black Panther. Which has a second printing.

Alex Kot was offered a book by Marvel and decline-he suggested letting a black writer do it. The reply he got? "I don't know any."

That is not delivering fresh voices. That is not doing your research to find them-especially if you are at a company the size of Disney where you have at least 3 already there. Huldin, Kevin G, John Ridley, Brandon Eastman & guys like Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross-who can get you some more.
    Can't be better said

DC is dead because it has no continuity. Even if you loved some series after Identity Crisis they just keep rebooting.

How can you follow a character with no continuity? Take Batgirl-Oracle- Barbara Gordon and Birds of Prey. Reboot. What is their history now?

I'll admit to being partial to Marvel but I loved many DC series like Birds of Prey and Teen Titans in the past.

I'm sorry..you can read and love a series for years with DC and in the end they will break your heart and reboot.

Marvel has tons of change but somehow the characters keep their history. This is why Marvel does it better.

DC has great characters but they turn them into generic brands with all the rebooting.

So you have a new Wonder Woman who will act somewhat like old Wonder Woman..but what is her history?

Rebooted every five years...you lose investment with the characters...

In the Marvel Universe even characters that have gone through total turmoil and change (like Scarlet Witch) still remember their past from 50 years ago.

DC rebirth? I think I'll pass unless they give back to the characters their silver age histories.

But they don't care..they just want to make money.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wellsoul2 View Post
    DC is dead because it has no continuity. Even if you loved some series after Identity Crisis they just keep rebooting.

How can you follow a character with no continuity?
    This worked quite well for dcades for DC; done-in-ones were the lifeblood of comics, particularly when they were focussed on kids (though adults still read). The focus was on telling a good story...and readers responded when they told complete stories in one sitting. Even now, while continuity is a concern, readers as a whole are more interested in getting a complete story.

BANNED

Co-signed as wel.

" I have no issue whatsoever with that.

That is not delivering fresh voices. That is not doing your research to find them-especially if you are at a company the size of Disney where you have at least 3 already there. Huldin, Kevin G, John Ridley, Brandon Eastman & guys like Anthony Anderson & Tracee Ellis Ross-who can get you some more. "

WELL SAID; I WON"T ADD TO THAT EXCEPT TO SAY COMPANIES WANT TO DELIVER STAR NAMES, SO IF FANS SUPPORT & INVEST IN TRUE TALENT...ALL TALENT... AND BREAK STARS THEY GENUINELY TRUST AND CAN GET BEHIND, THEN COMPANIES WILL NEED TO LISTEN TO READERS.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wellsoul2 View Post

How can you follow a character with no continuity? Take Batgirl-Oracle- Barbara Gordon and Birds of Prey. Reboot. What is their history now?

I'll admit to being partial to Marvel but I loved many DC series like Birds of Prey and Teen Titans in the past.

I'm sorry..you can read and love a series for years with DC and in the end they will break your heart and reboot.

Marvel has tons of change but somehow the characters keep their history. This is why Marvel does it better.

DC has great characters but they turn them into generic brands with all the rebooting.

So you have a new Wonder Woman who will act somewhat like old Wonder Woman..but what is her history?

Rebooted every five years...you lose investment with the characters...

In the Marvel Universe even characters that have gone through total turmoil and change (like Scarlet Witch) still remember their past from 50 years ago.

DC rebirth? I think I'll pass unless they give back to the characters their silver age histories.

But they don't care..they just want to make money.
    This!

This is the key point. I am a long time DC fan (as in decades) and I am just so tired of the reboots. I love the DC characters but every 5 years, I just don't recognize them.

I know when I read Captain America comic, that maybe right now Sam Wilson or Bucky Barnes are in the role of Cap, but Steve Rogers is around the corner and his story is what I read 10 years ago. Occasionally they'll remix the origin to bring it up to date but that's all.

I pick up the latest Superman and I have no idea what I'm reading. I've read Superman by Shwartz/Swan, Byrne, Geoff Johns, plus the latest new 52 version and I just can't keep track of the continuity anymore nor do I want to.
    Why should I try to follow a monthly book when I can neither keep track of the continuity, nor expect it to be around two years from now? I'd rather read one-off books like the "Earth One" graphic novels or watch the TV and animated versions.

So in the end, even though I was a massive DC fan and only an occasional marvel reader, I'm now reading twice as many marvels than DC books.
    And this IMO is what killed the DCU.