Default Is Superman Now a Hyperion Ripoff?

So, I've recently been checking into other Superman-like (And non-Superman-like) comic books that I might want to read instead of the adventures of SuperDad in the new52 universe when he takes over Action Comics and the main Superman title. Found a couple of promising ones that I've liked the first issue I've tried of- namely Rai and Black Science (Those aren't really anything like Superman, just titles that I've found or were recommended to me as I've tried to branch out and prepare for potentially dropping the Supermen Comics when SuperDad takes over).

One character that's been mentioned or recommended to me is a Marvel superhero named Hyperion, who is often considered a ripoff, homage, parody, or the Marvel equivalent of the Man of Steel. From what I'd gather, he's had a bunch of different incarnations running around through the years, and various different origin stories.

One website describes one version of him this way:

The Hyperion of Earth-712 is the last Eternal left on Earth. As a young child he was adopted by the Milton family and raised as their adopted son Mark Milton. His adoptive parents raised him very well, instilling in him certain values that led to his career as a hero and proactive approach towards human affairs. Upon finishing college, Mark decides to become a costumed hero to use his powers to protect others, he chooses the name Hyperion, after the greek titan. Mark chooses to move to the city of Cosmopolis and gets a job as a newspaper's staff cartoonist. Mark would later start a relationship with his work colleague Lonni Lattimer.
    You see where that would sound a bit familiar.

The funny thing is that, frequently, to differentiate him a little bit from Superman, but yet still sort of make him the same, he's been the last survivor of a different universe rather than a different planet in many of his incarnations.

Now, with SuperDad and his family being the last survivors of another universe, it's like the whole thing has come full circle. The rip-off has become the ripped off.

DC Comics is using Hyperion plot points for Superman, even though Hyperion is a character invented as a sort of alternate take on a Superman type character.

I'm sure it's unintentional, but it tells you just how bad this SuperDad taking over for new52 Superman thing is.

I am considering buying a Hyperion comic to see how I like him. If DC is going to flip me the bird on Superman, maybe Marvel is telling better stories with a similar character. He's just gotten his own book, with the #1 issue having come out within the last month or so.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-04-2016 at 05:05 PM.

Let me know how Hyperion is. I enjoyed this latest version in Avengers, but am hesitant to pick up the solo due to his connections to the new Squadron Supreme. The current Hyperion was a great character, free of the villainous aspects other versions have had. But it sounds like the Squadron Supreme book is moving those characters back into a morally gray, anti-hero tone, and anti-hero Superman proxies interest me less than the heroic Hyperion I came to enjoy in recent years.

But, since we're here, I meant to recommend Jon Hickman's Avengers runs to you as well, when you were asking for recommendations the other day.

Hickman wrote Avengers and New Avengers at the same time. The books stand on their own so you dont need to read both, but they are connected via the same threat that lead, eventually, to Secret Wars and the rebooted-even-if-Marvel-says-otherwise Marvel Universe.

I believe you may find these books to your liking. Avengers at least seems like it might be up your alley. Hyperion is a member of that roster from pretty much the very start, though you dont really get to know him until a few issues in.

Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the thread. So, to keep it on topic.....no, I dont think it was intentional, but a Superman who survived the death of a universe rather than just a planet is still badass as hell.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

On Hyperion solo, he gets a time away from SS because he think they might have crossed the line.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

The mindset of company does something I don't like so i'm going to the competition out of spite has always baffled me.

Anywho. to answer the actual question, No Superman is not a Hyperion rip-off. Though it is funny how DC and Marvel always seem to have at least a couple elements in their universes that feel similar.

Also I highly doubt DC or any publisher for that matter would do something for the sole purpose of giving you, an individual they don't even know the middle finger.

On a more positive note however, while I haven't read many Marvel books in quite awhile I do agree Hyperion and the Squadron Supreme look like interesting titles.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's off. Superman has been tied to the multiverse for many decades and is not coming to a world that doesn't know Superman. Their stories aren't the same aside from the absolute and intentional riff on the part of Marvel.

If you're going to just talk about Hyperion comics to dig at the current direction of Superman, this might as well be a Marvel thread at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Let me know how Hyperion is. I enjoyed this latest version in Avengers, but am hesitant to pick up the solo due to his connections to the new Squadron Supreme.
    Its very bland, standard story about some kid running away from someone and running into Hyperion for help. Doesn't help that the new kid got more pages and focus than Hyperion.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Ok, two things to be aware of SuperCrab, about Hyperion:

1: in the Squadron Supreme title, which has only been running for about 4 issues so far, Hyperion is responsible for killing Namor, the Sub-Mariner....this has been a highly controversial move by Marvel...and certainly doesn't endear the character Hyperion.....so you'd be jumping into a "should Superman kill?" scenario with this...and,

2. I understand the Hyperion book is only a mini series, about 6 issues, so not much to help get invested in a character that is new to you...you'd be better off going with Squadron Supreme if anything, but then you're just in Avengers/Justice League territory....

Jon

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman borrows utterly nothing from 1 issue of a HYPERION knock off character comic.

Amazing Member

I recommend Supreme Power if you want a good Hyperion story.