Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Taking a Stand: I Support Janelle Asselin's critique of Teen Titans #1

Hello folks,

I just want to say that I fully support Janelle Asselin and her critique of Teen Titans #1, published by DC Comics.

I wrote about it on my blog, Comics Grinder. You can read that here.

Some of you know me and I think you'll appreciate this. There are so many good people out there. And we're all in this together. Many of you want to make a difference, take a stand, but don't know where to begin.

I was thinking about these things. What are the great causes of today? We think of some of the great movements in our relatively recent past, like the Civil Rights Movement. Well, that struggle continues as do others. Consider how women are treated today. And I'm just thinking about America and the media. We could dig much deeper. But, just considering American media, which seems pretty shallow, but still, it has its influence and relates to what all of you mostly discuss here. Specifically, I am referring to that mighty topic of Women in Comics. We clearly have progress to make in this regard. The distorted and twisted image that appears on the cover of Teen Titans #1 is a sign of deeper problems that bubble up to the surface. It is an old boys mentality that deeply hurts people.

So, I present you with my virtual sit-in. It's too bad this should be so controversial for some of you readers. It won't be some day. That's the whole point. Think of the Civil Rights Movement. Some beliefs will someday be clearly seen as hateful and primitive. Well, they already are now. But more people will come around. And more progress will be made.

Frankly, even beyond concerns about sexism, it's just a fugly cover.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"You're much stronger than you think you are." - Superman, on humankind

All-New, All-Different Marvel Checklist

All-New Member

While I don't like to talk bad about other people's work, I definitely support her right to do so without the awful backlash.

BANNED

I have been boycotting Detective Comics for years. It started with the complaints of sexual harassment against their employees. Then the books got progressively more disgustingly violent and, I felt, kind of mysoginist to the point it made me uneasy supporting them.

I feel that cover is small pickings compared to all the things that I find alarming about DC and while I believe anyone is free to enjoy those comics, I am not surprised they've attracted fans who would resort to personal threats when criticized.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

The world we live in has become very spooky. I hate this kind of crap. The poor woman did not deserve this.

Yeah, I agreed with Janelle...and loathed the hateful backlash she experienced as a result. She gave a reasonable critique, and didn't deserve the harassment and stalking.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    Frankly, even beyond concerns about sexism, it's just a fugly cover.
    Yeah, some major problems with perspective there.

But I think the concerns about sexism were spot on as well.

And there's nothing either in the article itself or in this thread so far that breaks the new rules, so for what reason would the mods lock it?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Yeah, some major problems with perspective there.

But I think the concerns about sexism were spot on as well.

And there's nothing either in the article itself or in this thread so far that breaks the new rules, so for what reason would the mods lock it?
    I think some were a little overblown, but that's something that could be politely discussed. Not now, because frankly, I forget what they were.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I guess my problem is that I went to high school with several girls that looked very much like what's being complained about, and the complaints sound an awful lot like the undeserved, sexist labels they were given simply for having that body type.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    It's not the OP that worries me. It's what it could lead to.
    GREAT! Then here we have the perfect litmus test; will the drastic changes make any difference? I'm excited to find out!

*sits back avec popcorn*
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I guess my problem is that I went to high school with several girls that looked very much like what's being complained about, and the complaints sound an awful lot like the undeserved, sexist labels they were given simply for having that body type.
    A lot of girls in your high school had bad boob jobs? Because that's the criticism I remember most from the article.
    "It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

"If you can't say anything nice about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

That's not how you take a Stand.

You aren't even named after a Song, Band Name or a Tarot Card.

Do you even Pose?

Yeah, only JoJo fans will get the joke. Anime forum I miss you.

BANNED

It's not taking a big stand to point out comics (like every other medium of popular entertainment) uses and overuses sex to sell content. Especially when the rest of the content is bad. Like cheap snack food, the more "sugar" you put in the less likely the average consumer is to notice your product isn't a quality one (or at least not to care, so long as you're stimulating their pleasure centers). Nobody "taking a stand" is a hero for pointing this out or rallying against it, and anyone comparing themselves to Civil Rights protestors seem more like trolls than anyone I've seen on these boards or the previous incarnation.

It should go without saying (sadly it can't) that the extreme fringe of entitled fandom who feel like threatening writers, artists, or anyone else associated with our little hobby because those people have done or said something they happen to disagree with should be dealt with in the harshest possible manner, up to and including reporting them to the authorities and pressing charges. But trying to lump everyone else who might disagree with those same creators/writers in with these disturbed individuals, or using it as an excuse to silence people you personally disagree with seems to be wrong to me as well.

I happen to disagree with the article in question not because I have a problem with the writer but because (like I said) I think this sort of thing is less a problem of sexist behavior among the companies and creators (though obviously that does exist), but more as a cheap distraction from lack of content. I lived through the '90s "Bad Girl" era where the shelves were full of covers that would make this one look tame. Heck, Zenescope does a pretty good job of keeping that tradition going every week. I get embarrassed bringing female friends to the comic shop and seeing the "Grimm Fairy Tales" covers lined up. But it's not much different from what you'd see on TV flipping through channels or watching movies (especially horror, fantasy, or sci-fi).

Well, it's not either/or. It can be a reflection of sexism in the culture AND editorial laziness. And there absolutely is sexism in the culture, both the comics subculture and the wider American culture at large. Pointing out how widespread it is isn't so much a refutation of the point as an amplification of it.

It's a pretty generic cover, and I say that as someone who's a big fan of Rocafort.

I remember a few years ago I was hoping to myself that he would do some more stuff, the workload hasn't done him any favors at least.