Page 2 of 39 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    A lot of girls in your high school had bad boob jobs? Because that's the criticism I remember most from the article.
    I think one of the problems of the article was her hyperfocusing on "titties don't look like that!" while ignoring the inhuman physiques existing on a bunch of 17 year olds. If you're wrapping it up as just a sexism thing, fine. But she kind of came at it from too many angles while ignoring other ones. I think. It's been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I guess my problem is that I went to high school with several girls that looked very much like what's being complained about, and the complaints sound an awful lot like the undeserved, sexist labels they were given simply for having that body type.
    In Avengers: Academy i think pym explained that one you become a super your body sort goes the peak route and that's why heroes look all hot and stuff. He didnt actually say the last part this is what we are talking about. Anyway, is there something like that in DC? Also, im guessing that super hero women are going to wear very supportive clothing that stop things from bouncing around. Basically, just like olympic athletes and when you look at them stuff gets all squished.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    That's not how you take a Stand.

You aren't even named after a Song, Band Name or a Tarot Card.

Do you even Pose?

Yeah, only JoJo fans will get the joke. Anime forum I miss you.
    He didnt even say ora ora ora ora ora!
    Last edited by Sighphi; 05-01-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    He didnt even say ora ora ora ora ora!
    This guy gets it!

BANNED

It's an illustration, it's not a photograph and it's not a gym plan people need to adhere to.

BANNED

Of all the subjects that have been discussed the one that ultimately blew up CBR amounted to Wonder Girl's boobs being too large.

At any rate the cover is fine.

I like the cover. I think the figures are very well drawn and exceptionally colored.

Am I allowed to say that these days without being attacked?

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    Of all the subjects that have been discussed the one that ultimately blew up CBR amounted to Wonder Girl's boobs being too large.

It wasn't so much that as it was the ensuing conflict.

Sometimes a discussion is like a ball bouncing between two walls, only the walls hit the ball harder each time. You kind of forget about listening and are more concerned with attacking the other side.

This time one of the walls went and got the other wall's personal info.

Yeah, that metaphor ran away pretty fast.
    Last edited by Hazard; 05-01-2014 at 11:10 AM.

Fantastic Member 50yearoldNovafan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post

I heard that!. I had no problem with the cover. Comic's are a form of fantasy, and shapely women is one of those fantasies. Just a few fans went too far with threats and intimidation.

Amazing Member George Caltsoudas's Avatar

It's awful what was done to her and, more to the point, what seems to happen to some women in the industry.

At the same time I felt her essay was too facetious and her criticism was not built upon her editorial expertise or any sort of inherent marketing knowledge.
    Last edited by George Caltsoudas; 05-01-2014 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    A lot of girls in your high school had bad boob jobs? Because that's the criticism I remember most from the article.
    I don't know that the artist's style is photorealistic enough to conclude from their shape that they need to be implants... and even in the real world, I've seen a few (not many, mind you) exceptions to the general rule that real breasts aren't high and round like that, especially if supported properly. In somebody in a comic book world whose muscles might well be stronger than possible according to real world biology and physics... it's a bit of an assumption.

But only a bit, and I think overall her criticism of the cover was fair. Especially since regardless of whether there exist teenage girls with a bust that big, or even with that shape, it's still the artist's choice whether to use them as a model for the character or not, and strongly suggests (without being definitive) a certain degree of unacknowledged 'fan service'.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    It wasn't so much that as it was the ensuing conflict.

Sometimes a discussion is like a ball bouncing between two walls, only the walls hit the ball harder each time. You kind of forget about listening and are more concerned with attacking the other side.

This time one of the walls went and got the other wall's personal info.

Yeah, that metaphor ran away pretty fast.
    Sure, but upon reflection it's just embarrassing that of all the issues with that kind of potential it's Wonder Girl's bust line that ultimately did the deed.

BANNED

I stand by her statement so far as we are talking about a teens body. IF she were going to be that busty she should have been a bigger girl. They should have gotten one of the Hernandez bros to do the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Also, im guessing that super hero women are going to wear very supportive clothing that stop things from bouncing around. Basically, just like olympic athletes and when you look at them stuff gets all squished.
    Yeah, they really would, at least if they're doing any jumping around and hand-to-hand fighting stuff. Everything would be strapped down tight under the uniform, and pretty covered up. Comfort would be essential. That's why I tend to roll my eyes when I see female heroes with massive cleavage, unzipped catsuits, etc. Emma Frost or Scarlet Witch could get away with that if they wanted to, because they use psychic and magic powers, but Black Widow, Wonder Woman, etc? Not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    I heard that!. I had no problem with the cover. Comic's are a form of fantasy, and shapely women is one of those fantasies. Just a few fans went too far with threats and intimidation.
    I've just spend half an hour looking around at what was said. It was by no stretch of the imagination a 'few fans'. There's hundreds out there who were part of this.

All-New Member

I did jump the gun a bit by assuming everyone to be familiar with all the particulars but that appears to have been corrected by other comments. I am thinking of one key fact, that Wonder Girl is very distorted: tiny waist with breasts that look like silicone implants. I think Janelle Asselin gave careful consideration to what needed to be said and I would just refer you back to her article at CBR. That explains it all quite well. And then, of course, there's the backlash that she writes about in an article at xojane.com.

I don't care if someone thinks I am taking a stand or not. In the culture we live in today, yeah, I think I am by showing support, by not dismissing the issue. There's definitely more to be done. It's always good to take a step in the right direction.