Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    I prefer the original.
    Can you explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by George Caltsoudas View Post
    See THIS is one of the other major problems I had with Janelle Asselin's complaints about the thickness of Wonder Girl's thighs and YOU did it here too. Aside from the breasts, you just gave LIPOSUCTION to the thighs of a healthy looking teenager. You reduced the fat on the outside and thinned out the insides (which also inadvertently draws unnecessary attention to an area that attention shouldn't be given to.

Some girls and women might object to the criticism of fat thighs and larger breasts as being too sexual and thin thighs/lanky legs being the ideal. Often times stating that the only way it's "okay" is if the female is drawn to be overweight.
    I like your assessment here on the thighs. I hadn't even noticed.

All-New Member

1st of all, what Asselin wasn't even that bad. It was a critique followed up by intelligent points. At no point did she insult the artist or anybody else.

2nd, even if what she said was that bad, even if she did insult the artists and their momma, the reaction was still insanely over the top. It was just words, and for that her bank account was hacked and she was threatened with rape.

People here have been talking about 1st amendment rights being taken away because posts were deleted. What about Ms. Asselin's right to speak her mind?

I really don't get the reaction she got. It was a cover!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Threats of any kind for doing a critique are juvenile and assinine and EVERYBODY should be better than that. Sadly this seems to be a thing in general in geek culture, just look at the insane and horrid reactions to Anita Sarkeesian's videos about females in video games. Geek cultures apparently need to grow up.
    Geek culture is infantile almost by definition, if the material was acceptable for consumption by adults then there would be no social stigma associated with it in the first place. The reason that media like comic books and video games exists is to feed adolescent impulses, expecting the audience to react to a perceived intrusion with maturity and consideration is a bit unrealistic, no?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Can you explain why?
    The greater bust is more attractive, therefore I prefer it.

Yeah, the outrage was a grossly disproportionate reaction to a reasonable critique! I read her article after it posted, agreed with most, and shook my head at the initial backlash. When I heard about the escalation, though...just horrifying. I hope that Janelle keeps the articles coming!

Amazing Member George Caltsoudas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tangent Man View Post
    Did one of G-Force defect to the Titans?!

Oh wait, that's just Nu-52 Raven!
    Yeah I'm not a fan of that costume either. And isn't it just too much white for such a dark moody character?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lax View Post
    The greater bust is more attractive, therefore I prefer it.
    Thank you.

Can you tell me why you prefer comic book characters originally created as disposable entertainment for kids to be sexually appealing, particularly 'underage' characters?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 50yearoldNovafan View Post
    The world we live in has become very spooky. I hate this kind of crap. The poor woman did not deserve this.
    Nobody deserves that garbage for making a comics-related opinion.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by George Caltsoudas View Post
    Yeah I'm not a fan of that costume either. And isn't it just too much white for such a dark moody character?
    "Go, Gatchaman!"

Oh, Nu52...an exercise in 90's nostalgia and overall bad taste...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    Geek culture is infantile almost by definition, if the material was acceptable for consumption by adults then there would be no social stigma associated with it in the first place. The reason that media like comic books and video games exists is to feed adolescent impulses, expecting the audience to react to a perceived intrusion with maturity and consideration is a bit unrealistic, no?
    no, it's not unrealistic. i expect better from kids, so i expect even better from adults.

I find the comparison to the civil rights movement in the OP to be laughable at best.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Brady View Post
    Thank you.

Can you tell me why you prefer comic book characters originally created as disposable entertainment for kids to be sexually appealing, particularly 'underage' characters?
    Because I'm not in the habit of voting against my own interest or lying.

I suppose I could have said "Both images appeal to me equally" or "The image on the right is such an improvement" but that's not actually the case. Had the image on the right been the original work I wouldn't have complained, but do I actually prefer it? No.

Quote Originally Posted by bruceleegreyhulk View Post
    there's Rachel Aldana who at the age of 18 was the largest naturally busty woman in Britain, even bigger now due to pregnancy .

not- there are women who tend to get bustier even past there teen years base on genetics like Stepmeber Carrino, pregnancy also a factor.

there are also another naturally busty women like Hitomi Tanaka, September Carrino, Jana Defi , Merilyn Sakova and etc.
    But, as was pointed out in the original article, naturally busty women don't have breasts that look like that. It's not that they're big, it's that they look like balloons.
    And, as a naturally busty woman, I can attest that natural breasts don't look like balloons and they didn't when I was 17 either. That was what I understood to be a big point of the sexism portion of the article.

And I still want to know if that is a wee little door underneath Red Robin or not...

What this critic went through was absolutely ridiculous. And I've seen that these kind of thoughts are very subtle yet pretty big in the comic book community. There is no place for behavior like that ever

I'm surprised to see this thread hasn't taken a horrible turn...Good to see...Considering this situation was one of the big catalysts for the forum change...I'm shocked...

On topic: I think what people did to her is wrong, and I agree about the cover...It did look silly to me, especially the Wonder Anatomy....