Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Justice League: Darkseid War Special #1

The massive "Darkseid War" epic continues to set the stages for the future of the DC Universe as we reveal the secrets behind its newest major player: Darkseid's daughter, Grail! And if the Justice League is not careful, the spoils of war will all end up with her! See the truth behind Grail's role in this war and the future of the DC Universe as she tears her way across it. Don't miss this extra-sized special offered at the regular price of $3.99!
    Plus, world-renowned visualist Kim Jung Gi puts his stamp on the DC Universe with a wall-to-wall-to-wall action triptych featuring the Big Three!

Full preview here.

Always Rakzo

Eh, it was just another chapter of Darkseid War really, nothing "special" about it.

Sure, Grail's background was further explored but she's not that interesting of a character. The Jessica segments were a bit better and Johns is clearly preparing her for her ongoing but they also weren't that compelling.

Fine art from Reis and Pelletier though.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

I think they want to book to climax at 50 so hence the one shot, otherwise it did feel like an ordinary issue which isn't a bad thing.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

This is about the seventh one shot featuring a character from this event.
    The Batman issue had quite the ending.
    Last edited by dogwelder; 04-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Spectacular Member

It was alright. Got more done that doesn't have to be filled in on the next two issues thankfully.

Didn't like it, too much of backstory and stuff that we already knew for basically two new scenes that will be played out in regular issue anyway.

There were a few important things in this issue. Wonder Woman's age was retconned. She was apparently 18 in Justice League: Origins but here we see that she was born a few thousand years ago. Johns made the movie origin into canon.

Seeing Cyborg as Victor Stone again was great. Hopefully Johns brings Cyborg's ability to transform into a normal looking person into his story.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

I really liked this, mainly because IMHO Grail is the most interesting new rogue WW has had in 20 years (50?). She has a seriously short bench of villains and I think Grail can become part of it

Also, it heavily implies that Wonder Woman has a male twin. And he was the first man to step foot on the island.

I enjoyed the Green Realm section will all the souls of the previous Power Rings - good to see Harold Jordan of Earth-3 again! I suspect Earth-3's Abin Sur would be in there as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    There's a universe where everything is Luchadores.

I WANT TO GO TO THE UNIVERSE WHERE EVERYTHING IS LUCHADORES.