Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Default Wonder Woman Earth One: Discussion Thread

Apparently this title is on sale today, and not April 12th like Amazon and Barnes and Noble say on their websites.

http://www.dccomics.com/graphic-nove...arth-one-vol-1

Morrison gave an interview about it in Vulture Magazine, and I felt it was worth making a discussion about this title. Since we've been waiting for year to get it, despite delays.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/03/grant...der-woman.html

I plan on picking it up on Thursday, when I get paid. If anyone else has read it, please feel free to share your thoughts. Spoilers welcome.

comixology has it at april 12, not able to buy it there until then.

Diamond says today, but my comic shop did not have it today.

I read it. I am not going to spoil anything.

Well, it is a first book of an Earth One book featuring Wonder Woman. This is an origin story showing the lore of this version of the amazons.

I had very high expectations, and I may be wanted more than what the book is. Perhaps Morrison was not confusing enough ?
    We are mostly discovering Wonder Woman and the amazons lore and see how they think. About the "Man's world" parts, I would have wanted Diana interacting with it rather than simply experience it.
    I see why it could turn out to be a controversial book in the next days. The prologue, bondage stuff and using Steve Trevor as a black guy might make some people angry.
    Anyway there were good stuff in it, it was far from bad.

I hope Morrison will actually continu this series and we will have to wait less than three years before a second book.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Yeah Amazon usually release books later then they're supposed to be out for reason.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    Yeah Amazon usually release books later then they're supposed to be out for reason.
    And they sell it at a lower price.
    Seems like a fair trade off.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Picked up my copy at the comic shop today. Overall I would say it was decent. It's as mentioned pretty much just an origin story for the E1 version of Wonder Woman.

And I agree with above posts, I hope Morrison will continue to work on the book and that we don't have to wait three years for the next one.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    And they sell it at a lower price.
    Seems like a fair trade off.
    Yeah that is true, My LCS was selling it for £16.99, AmazonUK currently has it £11something but releases on 21st we waiting this long what is a few more weeks lol
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Incredible Member

I've read it a few times now. Very interesting, I'm taking my time to process my thoughts on it....

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    I hope Morrison will actually continu this series and we will have to wait less than three years before a second book.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    And I agree with above posts, I hope Morrison will continue to work on the book and that we don't have to wait three years for the next one.
    He says he's 25 pages into the script for the sequel. Aiming for a trilogy.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    He says he's 25 pages into the script for the sequel. Aiming for a trilogy.

Good to hear.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I was overjoyed when I saw this in my LCS today, I had no idea it would be out early. I grabbed it immediately (my poor wallet). I still need to process it and probably read it a few more times, but overall I think I loved it. I can definitely see this piss off several WW fans, but not me. It brings back several Marston era concepts and characters and deconstructs them in an interesting way while still celebrating Diana herself.

Hippolyta and the Amazons are a bit difficult to like in this story. Hippolyta may be the closest thing this book has to a "villain." I'm ultimately ok with it though, because it was done to emphasize that she was an authority figure that Diana must confront and overcome to start her own life. It's basically a bizarre coming of age story, and an interesting one at that. We get cameos from a lot of obscure Golden age characters. Can't wait for more.
    Last edited by SiegePerilous02; 04-06-2016 at 12:36 PM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Speaking as a Morrison fan, this was pretty intensely disappointing. A few solid moments aside, this felt like the same motivation behind Geoff Johns taking on Aquaman - a desire to see if they can make a 'difficult' character work rather than any real interest or inspiration. If nothing else I expected this to at least be distinctive, but both Legend of Wonder Woman and DC Bombshells completely outshine this.
    Buh-bye

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

So, some of the more interesting details as they come to me that I can't wait to see some reactions towards;

spoilers:

- Diana is the daughter of Hippolyta and Hercules, with the intent being that Hippolyta wanted to create a weapon to use against Man's World. Her rage quickly subsided when she began raising her child, and now her intent swung in the opposite direction: keep Diana sheltered and protected from Man's World.
    - It's implied that Hercules is just a mere man whose legend has been exaggerated, and the voice of Aphrodite informs Hippolyta that he is only so mighty because he is holding her Girdle. This does seem to make things more unclear in regards to Diana having super strength compared to other Amazons. Maybe she got it from Hippolyta instead?
    - Aphrodite's voice is the only "appearance" from a god in this book, and it may possibly even only be in Hippolyta's head. Though the appearance of the Fates, the immortality of the Amazons and Medusa all reveal that the Gods must exist in some form or another.
    - Ares is only referenced once, as Diana addresses a group of soldiers as "Boys of Ares."
    - Not only is Diana confirmed to be bisexual, but so is Etta!
    - The black Amazon who acts as Hippolyta's adviser is actually Nubia, not Philippus. She's probably the most sympathetic Amazon after Diana, though Althea seems ok as well.
    - Steve is sent to investigate a mysterious signal from the Bermuda Triangle, which turns out to be from Hippolyta's Magic Sphere. He crashes, etc. Phil Darnell cameos as his superior.
    - Amazon cameos: Mala, Dr. Althea (creator of the Purple Ray), Artemis and Donna (here named Troia, with nothing else revealed about her).
    - There are apparently at least two cities on Paradise Island: Hippolyta, Diana, Nubia and Mala all live in New Athena, while Artemis and Troia are among the Amazons from New Sparta, who are described as "super warriors" and Hippolyta makes it sound like they hate men even more than the main group. They are possibly an answer to Bana-Mighdall. Maybe they are ruled by Antiope, though she isn't mentioned.
    - One of the unnamed New Sparta Amazons has a cheetah fur pattern tattooed on her shoulder. Hmm.
    - The three Fates are present for the trial, and they appear to be the ones who spin the Lasso from gold. Whether or not Diana is given the lasso remains to be seen.
    - Hippolyta is apparently able to just waltz into the Underworld and bring back anybody she pleases, in this case Medusa. This Hippolyta is certainly more ruthless than prior versions in keeping her daughter at home, and thankfully the men turned to stone by Medusa are healed by the Purple Ray.
    - These Amazons have the intent to kill Steve when they find him, though they clarify that they have "humane" ways of doing it. But it's possible they've never actually carried out such a thing if Steve is the first man to arrive on the island.
    - Really curious to see who the antagonists will be in the next two books. This was purely a Diana and the Amazons show. I wouldn't be surprised if Paula von Gunther makes an appearance. Also want to see if Ares and his minions will receive more than just a passing reference, and if that New Sparta Amazon will indeed become Morrison's take on the Cheetah.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    So, some of the more interesting details as they come to me that I can't wait to see some reactions towards;

spoilers:

- Diana is the daughter of Hippolyta and Hercules, with the intent being that Hippolyta wanted to create a weapon to use against Man's World. Her rage quickly subsided when she began raising her child, and now her intent swung in the opposite direction: keep Diana sheltered and protected from Man's World.
    - It's implied that Hercules is just a mere man whose legend has been exaggerated, and the voice of Aphrodite informs Hippolyta that he is only so mighty because he is holding her Girdle. This does seem to make things more unclear in regards to Diana having super strength compared to other Amazons. Maybe she got it from Hippolyta instead?
    - Aphrodite's voice is the only "appearance" from a god in this book, and it may possibly even only be in Hippolyta's head. Though the appearance of the Fates, the immortality of the Amazons and Medusa all reveal that the Gods must exist in some form or another.
    - Ares is only referenced once, as Diana addresses a group of soldiers as "Boys of Ares."
    - Not only is Diana confirmed to be bisexual, but so is Etta!
    - The black Amazon who acts as Hippolyta's adviser is actually Nubia, not Philippus. She's probably the most sympathetic Amazon after Diana, though Althea seems ok as well.
    - Steve is sent to investigate a mysterious signal from the Bermuda Triangle, which turns out to be from Hippolyta's Magic Sphere. He crashes, etc. Phil Darnell cameos as his superior.
    - Amazon cameos: Mala, Dr. Althea (creator of the Purple Ray), Artemis and Donna (here named Troia, with nothing else revealed about her).
    - There are apparently at least two cities on Paradise Island: Hippolyta, Diana, Nubia and Mala all live in New Athena, while Artemis and Troia are among the Amazons from New Sparta, who are described as "super warriors" and Hippolyta makes it sound like they hate men even more than the main group. They are possibly an answer to Bana-Mighdall. Maybe they are ruled by Antiope, though she isn't mentioned.
    - One of the unnamed New Sparta Amazons has a cheetah fur pattern tattooed on her shoulder. Hmm.
    - The three Fates are present for the trial, and they appear to be the ones who spin the Lasso from gold. Whether or not Diana is given the lasso remains to be seen.
    - Hippolyta is apparently able to just waltz into the Underworld and bring back anybody she pleases, in this case Medusa. This Hippolyta is certainly more ruthless than prior versions in keeping her daughter at home, and thankfully the men turned to stone by Medusa are healed by the Purple Ray.
    - These Amazons have the intent to kill Steve when they find him, though they clarify that they have "humane" ways of doing it. But it's possible they've never actually carried out such a thing if Steve is the first man to arrive on the island.
    - Really curious to see who the antagonists will be in the next two books. This was purely a Diana and the Amazons show. I wouldn't be surprised if Paula von Gunther makes an appearance. Also want to see if Ares and his minions will receive more than just a passing reference, and if that New Sparta Amazon will indeed become Morrison's take on the Cheetah.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I'll admittedly need to read this to judge for myself but the description of Hippolyta and Troia sound worrying. The latter in particular because of the New 52 version of Donna
    end of spoilers.