• 2/5

2 2.53%
  • 1/5

0 0%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    BANNED

Finally,

Attachment 34678

NuAngel didn't have any story going on and there was nothing to be interested in. That said I like the healing powers and the energy wings better than poison metal wings of death. I don't think the powers are a problem, just that he was a blank character and nobody wanted to do anything with him. But I can't say I hate it as much as some, sometimes you just have to wait your turn. Look how long Jean Grey fans have had to wait for the real Jean! I am patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdsm24 View Post
    There is so much that is wrong and offensive in your response, that I'm not going to clutter up the thread trying to respond. You're free to have your head-canon and speculate and refuse to accept actual canon in the comics. But this is exactly why Cullen Bunn and this book (UNCANNY X-MEN) should stay far, far away from this mess; it would turn talk about the book into a battle zone (like what happened with Rogneto), and pretty much force one half or the other to drop the book. What made the MAGNETO book successful, and now UNCANNY, is that Marvel and the X-Office have walked the tightrope. Not letting the characterization of Magneto go to far one way or the other. It's been a balancing act, and so far they've done a fairly good job. (I prefer a more heroic Magneto, and I've been uncomfortable with some of the things Cullen Bunn has made Magneto do and say, but then Mr. Bunn has balanced that with times when Magneto shows that he can be heroic and is basically a good man, so I can't really complain.) Shen Xorn needs to be character in his own right, and the story needs to move forward. That's all there is to it.

BANNED

No chance in hell that stuff will ever fly. Magneto is Magneto and Jean was killed by a fraud. Planet X didn't even make sense. Magneto would never try to flip the world upside down....KICK or not.

But none of that actually happened in any comic books.
    ... NOT!

My own theory is based ONLY on evidence actually shown ON-PANEL. That's what makes it so great You read all these issues in this order and it will all make SENSE:

0. The Magneto War - The Magneto War 1, XMen Vol.1 86-88, Uncanny Xmen Vol. 1 366-368 - Magneto tries to reverse the magneto poles on Earth for the very first time.
    1. Planet X - New Xmen 146-150, especially New XMen 148, where Xorn confronts Magneto in his mind (or is it on the astral plane?)
    2. Here Comes Tomorrow - New Xmen 151-154, especially New Xmen 154, where Wolverine admits to White Crown Phoenix i.e. Goddess Mode Jean Grey that Magneto WAS Xorn "Magneto killed you on orders he never understood
    3. The Collective - New Avengers 16-20, especially New Avengers 20, where Collective|Xorn confronts Magneto again
    4. Xmen: Deadly Genesis 1-6 - especially XDG 6, where Darwin is revealed to have been secretly possessing|inhabiting Vulcan's body to give you an idea of just how Xorn would have done the same with Magneto
    5.Uncanny Xmen (The Bendis volume) 26-31, especially UXM 29, where Cyclops reveals to Matthew Malloy that Magneto was the (most recent) reason that Xavier was in a wheelchair, which Magneto grudingly admits ("Was anything I said a lie?" "No.")

Even if Marvel will formally never admit it, IT'S ALL STILL THERE ON-PANEL, even clearer than Bobby's in-the-closet-all-these-years-homesexuality (Remember all those yesteryears when literally half of the forum insisted that Bobby being gay never happened anywhere either, against the other half who insisted otherwise and listed all the evidence over the years? Who's laughing now eh?I personally took a neutral stance on the whole thing...)

Only this wasn't actually a Bendis retcon.
    It was a Gillen one.

Yeah, like the time that Quicksilver said that it was a Skrull posing as him that stole the Terrigen Crystals and caused the Silent War (rollseyes)

Like father, like son. Liars

Remember, did Magneto ever admit that he actually was Erik the Red who conducted the Trial of Gambit in Uncanny Xmen 350 or that he was Nestor who acted as the stereotypical-mysterious-and-cryptic-nagger of Pietro in the 1996 Quicksilver series? No!

*Yes, I know that Pietro is supposedly not actually Magneto's biological son as per the most recent retcon based on the High Evolutionary's revelation in Uncanny Avengers Vol. 2, but nobody in their right mind (i.e true real fans) believes that nonsense anyway, considering that ALL of the HE's "revelation" on Marvel-616 over the years were eventually retconned, Rick Remender himself left a possible way out in the story itself when Marvel decides to stop acting so petty towards Fox in the future (just what did Vision see in HE's files that is so disturbing that he kept it secret from Wanda and Pietro? The truth that it's all nonsense after all), and lastly, the XMen Apocalypse Movie Next Month Or So where Quicksilver IS Magneto's son

Or to use another example, like that time when Mystique said that it was an "imposter" who killed Sunpyre (who apparently got secretly resurrected off-panel as she appeared in the crowd scene of Uncanny XMen 600) and crippled Banshee (rollseyes)

Brian Bendis did not establish anything. He had Scott Summers say that Magneto is why Xavier "lives in a wheelchair" which was a reference more to the movie-verse than X-verse, but in any case, could mean any incident that happened between Magneto and Xavier. It most certainly does not reference Kuan Yin Xorn's fake healing of Xavier, since the agency that made Xavier walk again was fake, and taking it away again is not the cause of Xavier living his life in a wheelchair. It was a vague reference that did not have anything to do with Planet X.[/U] (WRONG, see below). What Bendis affirmed in his Tumblr was that he meant what he said for comic book continuity, and it wasn't a mistake. Magneto had something to do with Xavier being confined to a wheelchair, which links back to the character Lucifer, not Xorn. Perhaps Mr. Bendis was referencing an incident he was planning to explore in the future. .
    ... NOT!

Ah, just who among the two of us is speculating now? I based my theory only on WHAT IS ACTUALLY SHOWN ON-PANEL IN VARIOUS CANON ISSUES. You're basing your refusal to believe purely on IDLE SPECULATION.

Oh, btw, Bendis posted the Bald Phoenix reply in RESPONSE to a question directly and specifically asking about Xmen 146 in Planet X! How's that now, eh?!

http://community.comicbookresources....ead.php?29120-Magneto-Finally-Fesses-Up-to-Being-Xorn

I quote from this old thread: Bendis confirms that this is what Magneto and Cyclops were discussing. http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com...ng-xavier-in-a

A character who is a Jewish Holocaust survivor did not put anyone in gas chambers and ovens.

And now we get to the very heart of the matter. Once again, why is it just so difficult for Magneto fans to believe that he could do something like this?

He was a classic Silver Age villain with ZERO regard for human life in the 60's and 70's and again in the 90's and arguably, he's back to that state in 2016.

He deliberately sunk a Russian submarine killing scores of innocents on the sub in the 1980's.

He deliberately sent an EM pulse across the planet killing thousands of innocents worldwide in the 1990's in Fatal Attractions.

He ALREADY deliberately tried to reverse the Earth's magnetic poles until he was stopped by the Xmen and Joseph at the turn of the century in The Magneto War.

He deliberately collapsed the mountain of Carrion Cove in Genosha killing hundreds of innocents on Genosha in the 00's in Eve of Destruction.

It is a known fact that childhood survivors of violence and abuse REGULARLY replicate the very same abuse and violence towards others, especially in the context of genocide. Look at what happened, what is happening, and what will happen in such places as Africa, the Middle East, Central and Eastern Europe.

It is a known fact that bipolar people in a manic "high" state are capable of literally ANYTHING.

It is a known fact that people in a drug "high" state are capable of literally ANYTHING.

Magneto in Planet X was in a double "high" state, manic AND on drugs, due to both the nature of his powers (as established by Chris Claremont to explain his Silver Age Villainy) and the nature of Sublime-as-Kick (Emma Frost herself said that a single puff of it made her feel angelically beautifully and homicidally violent for five hours and Magneto was using it much more often than that to boost his powers).

And lastly (and I'm risking being censured again here, considering the averse-to-controversy nature of this forum in recent years but whatever), it is a known fact that the Jewish state of Israel (which Magneto has used as his template for his mutant-nations) despite being founded and populated by other Jewish victims of Nazi genocide during WW2, are themselves deliberately engaging in behavior against the Palestinians that has consistently been condemned as "genocidal" by the rest of the world (just look at what happened to Gaza in 2014), and THEY JUST SHRUG THEIR SHOULDERS.

* True, arguably, it's provoked, but there is a reason why Israel has become a textbook example of the phrase "Disproportionate Retribution"

Is Magneto sooo PERFECT that he is above and beyond all of this ? Not at all !

Again, this is the self-appointed totalitarian fascist dictator (who died and made him god-king?) who solely because they happened to be of the same genetic subspecies as him, unilaterally decided to force other mutants against their will out into a dangerous world even with and especially with the mutant-killing T-mists freely circulating the globe, and even threatened them with lethal force if they chose to hide for self-preservation, in Uncanny Xmen (2016) 1!
    If Magneto has no regard for life, how is Rogue still alive? Because she wouldn't be alive without him.(Uncanny 269) Why is Briar alive? Or Lee Forester? When was he ever a monster to Isabella? You pick and choose when Magneto is the villain of all villains. Cute.

Ultimate Member

You could say that they're still alive because they're still useful to him in one way or another, or that he likes having people owe him a favor or more...he wants to protect mutants but has no problem with commiting murder to do it...

Honestly, Magneto is probably one of the most inconsistently written characters in comics. He tend to be something different under every writer that writes him. They mold him into the character they want to fit the story they are trying to tell. He's good, he's bad, he's noble, he's a tyrant, he's old, he's young again, he's an X-Men, he is a villain for the X-Men, he's a murderer, or a savior. So given all the changes I think everyone sort of looks at the character differently now.

Quote Originally Posted by Izanami View Post
    Out of curiosity I would like to know what it is that made NuAngel an annoying character for you. If anyone wants to pitch in as well, they are welcomed.
    His 'Whee! I'm an angel!', totally naive to the point of stupid personality; the fact that his oldest friends didn't much seem to care what had happened to turn Warren into that; the downright offensive Betsy/Fantomex relationship tying into that; being just another idiotic joke character in a book populated by idiotic joke characters... SO many reasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Honestly, Magneto is probably one of the most inconsistently written characters in comics. He tend to be something different under every writer that writes him. They mold him into the character they want to fit the story they are trying to tell. He's good, he's bad, he's noble, he's a tyrant, he's old, he's young again, he's an X-Men, he is a villain for the X-Men, he's a murderer, or a savior. So given all the changes I think everyone sort of looks at the character differently now.
    Inconsistent? Like Storm and Cyclops haven't been for years...they got Cyclops acting like Lorna from 2003. What the hell is that all about? Has to do with the fact he has no charisma and was a background lead character that was defined around Jean Grey for years. Gambit is a traitor one week and a hero the next...everytime Doom does something that doesn't make any sense, there's a Doombot excuse. Everytime Thanos loses to Thor, Drax, or Kazar, Starlin says it's a clone. U got Peter Parker acting like Tony Stark. Tony was pretty much a villain after Captain America got killed.

Magneto is inconsistent but these characters are the champions of the earth when it's convenient? The Xorn thing was explained in Excalibur and people are lying and acting like it wasnt. 12 years ago. Crazy. Chris Claremont is not a credible writer now? His canon don't matter? Magneto is who he always been...using extremes to save mutantkind in the way he sees fit. That's put him at odds with Rogue, Storm..everybody. Because he wasn't hiding in mansions when it was time to face the international community and fight for mutant survival. Those kind of characters don't have the layers....the complexities of Erik Lehnsherr. So in truth..they are inconsistent. Not Magneto...the character all the editors run to when they need a status shake up for the whole X line.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    You could say that they're still alive because they're still useful to him in one way or another, or that he likes having people owe him a favor or more...he wants to protect mutants but has no problem with commiting murder to do it...
    What can humans offer him? Use them? He's genetically superior. That makes no sense. Never have. U can say all that rhetoric but it's not canon nor reality.

The link does not work.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

I really liked this issue my favourite part was the Magneto and Xorn talk it was very interesting

Uncanny X-Men (2016-) 006-027.jpg

Uncanny X-Men (2016-) 006-028.jpg

Uncanny X-Men (2016-) 006-029.jpg

When I saw Xorn I feared Bunn would try to explain all the mess that surrounds the Xorn brothers and Magneto so I was very happy to see he rather went to a much more interesting place, with Xorn being a healer with hidden motives and Magneto kind of trusting in him out of neccesity. We will see how Magneto survived after he tried to save the earth during secret wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I kind of agree with this but then again, this can be said for every marvel character, specially since some marvel decided that continuity is a choice of the writer rather than the development of the character.

I donīt have any wish to delve much into the Magneto/Xorn bussines, afther 12 years I am tired of talking about it. I will just said that Bendis did an entire New Avengers arc in which Xorn I tries to "posses" Magneto and it was leave very clear they were different ppl. Also Gillen was talking from a PR pov. not if it was Magneto or he wasnīt the one who did that in NY.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 04-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    What can humans offer him? Use them? He's genetically superior. That makes no sense. Never have. U can say all that rhetoric but it's not canon nor reality.
    Genetics doesn't matter at all, having people owe you a favor is a good thing to have no matter who you are, humans could get into places without making a scene or if the place has security to keep mutants out...sure Magneto could just bust in but that's big and messy...what can say a human politician offer him...there's plenty that humans could offer him if used correctly...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Inconsistent? Like Storm and Cyclops haven't been for years...they got Cyclops acting like Lorna from 2003. What the hell is that all about? Has to do with the fact he has no charisma and was a background lead character that was defined around Jean Grey for years. Gambit is a traitor one week and a hero the next...everytime Doom does something that doesn't make any sense, there's a Doombot excuse. Everytime Thanos loses to Thor, Drax, or Kazar, Starlin says it's a clone. U got Peter Parker acting like Tony Stark. Tony was pretty much a villain after Captain America got killed.

Magneto is inconsistent but these characters are the champions of the earth when it's convenient? The Xorn thing was explained in Excalibur and people are lying and acting like it wasnt. 12 years ago. Crazy. Chris Claremont is not a credible writer now? His canon don't matter? Magneto is who he always been...using extremes to save mutantkind in the way he sees fit. That's put him at odds with Rogue, Storm..everybody. Because he wasn't hiding in mansions when it was time to face the international community and fight for mutant survival. Those kind of characters don't have the layers....the complexities of Erik Lehnsherr. So in truth..they are inconsistent. Not Magneto...the character all the editors run to when they need a status shake up for the whole X line.
    Sure, pretty much every character is written differently under different writers, but I think the swings in changes with Magneto from writer to writer tend to be a lot more broad and widespread than changes in a character like Storm. That was my point.

Yeah, but Claremont didn't create Xorn. Morrison did and it was his story so he wrote Magneto to fit that. Some liked it and other didn't. Claremont didn't like it so he changed it so he could bring back a version of Magneto closer to his own. Sure, Magneto isn't "hiding in mansions" but he also bent a knee and was following around Cyclops for years taking a backseat to the mutant plight, which never felt right. Now he is a leader on his own again.
    Last edited by Badou; 04-12-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

If anyone is interested in Bendisīs take on the Xorn story

New Avengers #20 vol. 1

And Gillen story

UXM #1
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

Quote Originally Posted by DayDreamer009 View Post
    Good read this was a good issue all around even the extra stuff at the end. The Callisto vs Creed was cool too. Who was the guy in the big chair? The room looked purple or something.
    My guess is that it's Stryfe. He has had a base that looks similar to this in the past, has links with Apocalypse and a long standing grudge against the X-Men.