Astonishing Member

Default Bloodlines #1 Preview And Discussion Spoiler Inside

While I won't get it for several more hours let's set up a thread to chatter about the issue for those inclined.

CBR has the preview of the issue up at

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...dc-comics-2016

Seems the issue (book in total maybe?) will be from Eddie/ Loose Cannon's point of view.

Always Rakzo

You know what? This was surprisingly solid.

I'm going to give this to Krul: He knows how to create sympathetic characters. Eddie's condition is explored in a quite clear way that makes you invested in the character and his relationship with his friend is nicely established in contrast to what happens at the end. The rest of the cast is also introduced in an effective manner.

Not bad at all, interested already.

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

It was interesting, wonder how its gonna reflect with Rebrith. I feel like its just gonna be brushed away when its done.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Astonishing Member

A solid start to the series. And definitely a re-imagining. All but Eddie have completely different stories/names etc...

So so far we have as our main characters

Eddie- Loose Cannon
    Blake- presumably Gunfire based on issue 1 and 3's covers
    Haley- Razorsharp (alas she really should just be Edge with that design but I digress)
    Faith- little girl from issue 2's cover. Unknown so far if she matches to anyone. Some have posited she might be the new Anima.
    Albert- super genius kid. Maybe a take on Prism who was a scientist.

The only other character who may be someone's stand in is Dana who I can't help but feel might be the books new take on Sparx. As that was a girl named Donna, a bit reachy I'll admit but given she had a bit more page space than normal she seems like she's being set up like the others.

As for the story itself it seems like a nice infection horror story beginning.

Also liked that Eddie was using crutches here like his old self. Seems however here it's a degenerative disease rather than from an accident.

I'm genuinely interested in seeing where the story goes.

I'm assuming given that gas scene Faith and mom will be attacked by the creeper gas station guy and Faith will activate her powers.

Might be amusing if Faith is in fact a new iteration of the JLA member Faith since issue 2's cover has her wielding purple energy.

I thought it was a solid start.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    It was interesting, wonder how its gonna reflect with Rebrith. I feel like its just gonna be brushed away when its done.
    That's been something of a fear regardless since the book was announced. Follow-through and usage of the characters outside of the story will be key. That's where the original Bloodlines kinda messed itself up in the first place in my view. Creating characters no one really had any plans for.

Astonishing Member

Bringing it back up.

I enjoyed it. Krul did a good job of introducing the main characters. An interesting idea to have Eddie's muscles be deteriorating because of his condition but have him become Hulk-like wall of muscles when he becomes Loose Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M Davis View Post
    Yeah I fear this will be the case.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I enjoyed it. Krul did a good job of introducing the main characters. An interesting idea to have Eddie's muscles be deteriorating because of his condition but have him become Hulk-like wall of muscles when he becomes Loose Canon.
    Yeah. It's a neat change. Last incarnation Loose Cannon simply had become paralyzed after a car accident. So it's fun seeing a different take on losing his leg functions here.

Hopefully Krul doesn't write that the powers "cured" him of it or something like that though. I'm slightly worried they might try that.

The change in Loose Cannon it was well conceived. The contrast between both physical appearances is more evident in that way, but as the story still unfolds, I think it will be revealed than the change is a curse in diguise.
    What will become the leeching guy in the gas station? I would be by Terrorsmith. Or maybe someone new.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Loose Cannon might be the only character I remember from the 90's Annuals Bloodlines. Remember some of the others names but not much else. :-/

I never read the original run but was interested in reading this one.

I thought the writing and art were excellent. The characters had some depth and the ending carried some punch because of the brief development.

I'm looking forward to more. This one is off to a great start!
    Pull list: Action Comics, Aquaman, Batgirl, Batman, Detective Comics, Earth 2: Society, Flintstones, Future Quest, Green Arrow, Hal Jordan & Green Lantern Corp, Harley Quinn, Injustice: Gods Among Us, Justice League, Justice League of America, New Suicide Squad, Nightwing, Red Hood, Scooby Apocalypse, Superman, Teen Titans, The Flash, Titans, Wacky Raceland

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    The change in Loose Cannon it was well conceived. The contrast between both physical appearances is more evident in that way, but as the story still unfolds, I think it will be revealed than the change is a curse in diguise.
    What will become the leeching guy in the gas station? I would be by Terrorsmith. Or maybe someone new.
    Hmm. The creepy dude COULD be someone I suppose but the scene, given the solicits, is there to really intro us to Faith.

Finally got around to read this thanks to very sub-par weather conditions on a Sunday afternoon. Ever since this was announced I was moderately intrigued by the concept of resurrecting a Nineties' concept like Bloodlines, knowing that at least it couldn't possibly end worse than the original -- heh! -- and I must say I was quite satisfied by what I read. In particular, having an "Eddie" in my group of friends (though his illness is spina bifida rather than a degenerative condition), the troubled life of Loose Cannon struck a very personal note with me.

After his bland pre-New52 TT run, JT Krul has made quite a solid comeback to my DC readings!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by PyroTwilight View Post
    While I won't get it for several more hours let's set up a thread to chatter about the issue for those inclined.

CBR has the preview of the issue up at

http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...dc-comics-2016

Seems the issue (book in total maybe?) will be from Eddie/ Loose Cannon's point of view.
    I signed on board because of the early cancellation of Telos and partly to support anything from DC that wasn't another Bat book. Also Ken Marion is a local artist on his way up. I never read the original Bloodlines but I thought Krul was cribbing from Ravagers. Whether or not this will get anymore support than Ravagers got or JSA All Stars got remains to be seen.