Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Superman #51 Discussion

Considering how convoluted things have been recently, I was pleasently surprised by this issue. Good characterization here and there from all the cast while also showing an interesting premise.

Having Janin on art helped A LOT though.

(Then again, I don't know if I should be too excited about it considering that this is pretty similar to recent arcs. Good beginning, incredibly contrived and underwhelming ending).

That was a lovely scene; will check out the collected edition.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Well I've officially ended my main Superman book sabbatical with this issue.

Great art firstly. If this is how New 52 Supes was always drawn, there wouldn't have been any complaints.

The premise feels like something that used to be common to the Superman books in the past, I.E. taking an old silver age imaginary story , in this case " The Last Days of Superman" and bringing it firmly into continuity with a modern spin.

It's still the first chapter, but based on this , if this is the last story of Nuperman, then he is getting a much better send off than his predecessor ( or successor depending on how one looks at Superdad.)

All-New Member

I never realised Superman had his own Harem in Diana, Lana and Lois lol.

I also found it strange that Diana is not the first person he told, seeing as shes his lover.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GXRevolution66 View Post

I also found it strange that Diana is not the first person he told, seeing as shes his lover.
    How is it strange that he told his childhood friend before Diana?

This was a very lovely, yet sad, issue. Didn't think when they said all those times that his actions would back fire on him, they actually meant it. I like that. Can't wait to see everyone's reaction to his state. Especially the trinity's.

Still wonder who this mysterious woman is. Seems like she's trying to make another superman?

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    Great art firstly. If this is how New 52 Supes was always drawn, there wouldn't have been any complaints.
    I agree with this statement 100%. The art on this issue was phenomenal, and had Nu52 Supes been drawn like this from the start it would feel much more like Superman, but updated for a new age. Hell, that's part of the reason why I haven't really bought any of Nu52 Superman. Followed along, but never committed to buying. Really excited to see where this last storyline is going, and where we go from there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to see "my" Superman back though (despite my account name, Post-Crisis is my defacto Superman).

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    How is it strange that he told his childhood friend before Diana?
    Because the latter is his lover. I would have expected that he would have told her first. Not only did he tell Lana first but Lois as well

Suddenly continuity counts for this wretched storyline. Not feeling Superdad. Bye, SUPER books!

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Hard to tell how much came down to Janin being generally amazing, but this is the best Superman issue in a long, long time. If this is any kind of indicator of how the new Superman book will go there might be a shred of hope left, and if this maintains its quality it'll very possibly be a legitimately fitting sendoff for this version of the character.
    Buh-bye

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Suddenly continuity counts for this wretched storyline. Not feeling Superdad. Bye, SUPER books!
    bye then! No need to constantly complain, especially for such a good issue.

BANNED

Superman broke ith WW, they aren't together anymore.

well they tried to make superman just like batman, and that is really horrible, that is why new 52 superman failed, the "kewl" thing is not for him. who would say that zack "sucker punch" snyder would do a romantic hero superman?
    of course ww is just another one

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

On a side note, I love the additions of the Kents monument in the fortress. Note they have to use both hands to hold up the earth.

Issue reinforces why I like new 52 Superman so much. Unlike Superdad, who was always a character much about this own comfort I felt even in old canon. And it follows on to what he does while he is on this earth hiding to have his comfy life. This younger Clark knows where his priorities lies as a hero. It just really aggravates me they doing this, pushing him out for that bore. The art by Janin is so great but of course to Batman he goes. Kudos to Tomasi for getting characterization spot on for everyone. Nice to see Krypto too.

Lana is prob the person he trusts the most because they grew up together and she's know his secret longer that anyone else. Makes sense to me he tells her first. Love that scene between them. Really touching. Clark also pushed Diana away. He prob tell her when he has no choice maybe. But yes, it would be interesting, as much as it is maddening because of this contrived arc to bring in Superdad, to see the reactions of Diana, Bruce, Jimmy, Kara, etc that he's dying. I mean many people thought he died in Doomed too...but ya know, lather, rinse, repeat.