Super Moderator

Default PREVIEW: Deadly Class, #6

Hunted through the streets of Las Vegas, Marcus is about to learn a valuable lesson: sometimes the only way to wash away your past is with blood. Stylized violence featuring teenage assassins on acid! Don't miss the climax of the first arc of the smash-hit series DEADLY CLASS by RICK REMENDER & WES CRAIG.

Full article here.

Really excited to grab this, I wonder how long Marcus acid trip is gonna last. It's been hella fun so far. Never done acid but seems like a trip.

I have really disliked most of Remender's work, but this series is so entertaining and really works on a personal level that I think his other works don't touch. Very excited to read the finale of the first arc and I hope this series continues for a long time and continues to bring the insanity in a big way.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Another great issue here. Craig's art felt a little rougher in places and I thought that was appropriate for how violent things were.

This was basically a one-scene issue but I loved it as that one scene was tense as hell throughout and you were hooked on every panel. I'm kind of bummed they killed Chico as I thought he had potential as a great villain to last the course of the series. I liked how the climactic scene gave each character a moment to show how they would react. I do hope Remender does a little more character work with Saya and Maria (the two girls, I think those are their names) in the future. They both seem strong and independent but are currently treated more like love interests than anything else (which I get, as Marcus is basically our POV character). I love F***face as a villain as he is such a disgustingly irredeemable bastard which we don't get enough of in this age of the antihero villain.

I hope this series is able to maintain its rollercoaster ride of insanity, as I imagine the kids are about to head back to the school now, and the issue focusing on the school (#2) I thought was kind of boring and stupid and the only real low point of the series thus far for me.

Craig did another outstanding job and I thought Loughridge's colors were extremely inspired as always. Great issue to close out a great opening arc.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Question for you guys. I picked up all 6 yesterday based off the preview of #1, and I'm totally hooked. My question is, where did the first 4 pages of that preview go? Was it a "deleted scene"? I hope we get to see it on a future issue.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

I gotta admit, I am loving Remender's Image stuff. Deadly Class is probably one of my Top 7 titles currently. Possibly Top 4. I have liked most of his previous Marvel stuff I've read as well.

I gotta admit in terms of dialog and storytelling techniques, Remender is fairly pedestrian to me. But one thing I've always liked of his, especially w/ Deadly Class and Black Science, is the heart in his writing. He pours it out and I just admire and enjoy it.