Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Poll: What Did You Think Of The First "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" Trailer?

What Did You Think Of The First "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" Trailer?

Now that we've had our first real glimpse of what "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story" has in store, what do you think?

Vote on the poll here.

The Man Without Fear. Batman#22's Avatar

The trailer looks really cool. I'm really into Star Wars right now and so I thought that was a pretty great trailer. I hope Darth Vader plays a role. It would be great to have Earl Jones reprise his role like in SW Rebel's.
    I plan on dying tonight!!!
    (Punches himself in the nose and cause bleeding)
    ... how about you?

The story doesnt look interesting.

They drag some .... rogue in to do this super sensitive missions? That's not very smart.

Rogue One is sort of a reference to Luke's squadron callsign in the battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back. In later (now non-canon) books, comics, and video games, Luke & Lando's wingman Wedge Antilles takes command of the squadron.

Kind of cool also that the Star Destroyer design is the ANH look, with the less detailed look and different thing between the 'globes'.

Speaking of EU, it looks like the villain has an outfit similar to those of the Grand Admirals (Although so does Yularen at the Death Star briefing in the original Star Wars)

Jyn Erso sounds a bit like Jan Ors, one of the protagonists of the Dark Forces series, which had the first mission involving the theft of the Death Star plans.

Looks like they're also using some prequel elements as well. There's a battle droid and the same Mon Mothma that is briefly in ROTS. Then again, the thought that Disney wants to hate and ignore those films is mostly fanboy wishful thinking, with little basis in any fact.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 04-07-2016 at 08:53 AM.

Mutant Bat on Speed Force Fuzzy Barbarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

They drag some .... rogue in to do this super sensitive missions? That's not very smart.
    Yeah, story doesn't seem that interesting. Then again, I jsut don't want the older era Star Wars stuff in film anymore. I'll read about it in comics, but for films, I just don't care. I hope it's more of a character-focused film, but then I expect the characters to live and get an ongoing for book or something.
    Favourite characters: Wally West, Dick Grayson, Cassandra Cain, Cyclops, Jay Garrick, Jamie Madrox, Stargirl, Bucky Barnes, Magik, Jon Kent, Kate Bishop, Booster Gold

Regular pulls:
    Adventureman, Cable, Fire Power, Green Lantern, Hellions, New Mutants, Thor, Vampire: The Masquerade, Venom, X-Factor, X-Men

Trade-waiting: Animosity, Black Panther, Captain America, Catwoman, Conan, Daredevil, DCeased, Detective Comics, Hawkman, Immortal Hulk, Redneck, Saga, Skyward, Snotgirl, X-Force

Perhaps they don't, and Luke's squadron is named in their honor. Kind of like the Force Unleashed game where Starkiller's family crest becomes the symbol of the rebels.

Interesting look at the planets too-one of them looks a bit like Tatooine, not the sand part but the Mos Eisley/Espa look. Then again people thought that about TFA too, and it turned out to be a different planet. Also there appears to be a battle on some kind of beach with the Walkers (Which look slightly different from the ESB versions-the heads and sides especially). I'm guessing the scenes with the rebels are meant to be at Yavin, the base from the original film though. Plus there appears to be action at some imperial base (The death star itself?)

Mighty Member

At least it is something new rather than a lot of recycled story elements. I think I might like this better than TFA.

To be fair though, the "Steal the Death star plans" story idea was used in practically every EU game, novel, radio play etc. set around that time period. Heck, they even tried to harmonize it by saying all the different missions to steal the plans only had 'pieces' of the plans that were then put together later on and given to Leia.

So far it looks interesting. I like that there is little involving Jedi and the Force, something I think is very much over saturated in Star Wars.
    Life is but a dream

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Rogue One is sort of a reference to Luke's squadron callsign in the battle of Hoth in The Empire Strikes Back. In later (now non-canon) books, comics, and video games, Luke & Lando's wingman Wedge Antilles takes command of the squadron.

Kind of cool also that the Star Destroyer design is the ANH look, with the less detailed look and different thing between the 'globes'.

Speaking of EU, it looks like the villain has an outfit similar to those of the Grand Admirals (Although so does Yularen at the Death Star briefing in the original Star Wars)

Jyn Erso sounds a bit like Jan Ors, one of the protagonists of the Dark Forces series, which had the first mission involving the theft of the Death Star plans.

Looks like they're also using some prequel elements as well. There's a battle droid and the same Mon Mothma that is briefly in ROTS. Then again, the thought that Disney wants to hate and ignore those films is mostly fanboy wishful thinking, with little basis in any fact.
    yup, at first i understood jan ors too and my mind went what what what?
    but it was to good to be true...
    ahh sweet memories...

i liked the teaser, but i wonder if that (blind?) ronin character will work in the star wars setting. i know of kurasawa´s influence, but that part felt awkward to me
    Last edited by abulafia; 04-07-2016 at 10:00 AM.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's a battle droid and the same Mon Mothma that is briefly in ROTS. Then again, the thought that Disney wants to hate and ignore those films is mostly fanboy wishful thinking, with little basis in any fact.
    Certain characters and character designs was never the problem with the prequels. Disney is smart enough to know that most people don't care for those movies, but they can cherry pick elements that worked or could've worked and utilize them. It'd be silly not to.

That said, I think this looks great. Very much looking forward to it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post

And you can make that assessment from a 1:45 teaser trailer? With no indication of if maybe, just maybe, we see her from her first first, early meeting with the rebels, and that a couple of years MAY have passed between that initial meeting and the mission. I mean, in the course of the story, she may prove herself multiple times to be a valuable asset to the rebels.

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    At least it is something new rather than a lot of recycled story elements. I think I might like this better than TFA.
    Me too. If it has Vader tearing through rebels on the battlefield, then I definitely will.

I'm interested in Jyn's character. Is she Rey's mother? Is she the daughter of Ben Kenobi? Is she Luke's future wife? Or, best yet....is she all of those?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    So far it looks interesting. I like that there is little involving Jedi and the Force, something I think is very much over saturated in Star Wars.

I don't see how you can separate the Force, and the Jedi from the story of Star Wars. It's like a package deal. While the Jedi don't have to and likely shouldn't be as prominent as in the Prequels, they should be a part of the tale. Just because the Jedi order were wiped out (although not entirely) doesn't mean that they will be in hiding forever.

Quote Originally Posted by graffiX View Post
    Me too. If it has Vader tearing through rebels on the battlefield, then I definitely will.

I'm interested in Jyn's character. Is she Rey's mother? Is she the daughter of Ben Kenobi? Is she Luke's future wife? Or, best yet....is she all of those?
    hope she has absolutly zero ties to existing characters...incest wars...