Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Spider-Fan View Post
    Claiming it's "more than others have been able to offer" is not saying much. You've spent a good chunk of this thread demanding evidence of people, but then when you produce some of your own it comes from an online poll. Quite frankly, using something as statistically invalid as an online poll to back up your argument makes you look foolish and intellectually shallow.
    So, what of those that make the same claims, but offer no proof of their statements other than their own opinions passed off as fact, hyperbole, and misleading statements?

And, again, why should we go by your definition of what counts or does not count as a valid poll? Why not provide that scientifically accurate poll that shows your side of the issue.

Once again, you cannot prove there is a "right" view and a "wrong" view regarding the Spider-marriage. There is no way you can know how the majority of fans feel on the subject. This is all about each fan's own personal preferences and their view of what's best for the character. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
    You're right. I can't.

But I'm not the one who is arguing there is one. Those would be the people who are saying that being single is right and being married is wrong.

I don't know about others, but when I talk about Pete being single I'm just talking about the times he wasn't married. As for not being in any type of relationship at all, the two periods that come to mind immediately are before he started dating Gwen (did he and Betty ever actually date?) and after BND before he and Carlie got together. My memory is fuzzy about how long he was single between the time he and MJ broke up the first time and when they finally got back together. I know he had relationships during that period, but there were also stretches of him being single.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Single generally refers to Peter being not married rather than to Peter not being in any relationship.
    I'm sorry, but that is literally the dumbest thing I have read on this page (not the thread though).
    Single should refer to Peter not being in any relationship, not when he's not married.
    Gwen died because Gerry Conway felt the relationship wasn't interesting, and marrying Peter wasn't worth it. Does that not count as a reason why Peter should be single? Or is it only in the context of his relationship with Mary Jane?

If that's the case, then the thread should be called "Reasons To Keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson apart" or "Reasons Not to Bring back the Spider-Marriage".

Seriously, Peter being single can refer to any point in his life. The marriage can only work when Peter is an adult.

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    So, what of those that make the same claims, but offer no proof of their statements other than their own opinions passed off as fact, hyperbole, and misleading statements?

And, again, why should we go by your definition of what counts or does not count as a valid poll? Why not provide that scientifically accurate poll that shows your side of the issue.

You're right. I can't.

But I'm not the one who is arguing there is one. Those would be the people who are saying that being single is right and being married is wrong.
    People on the other side of the argument shouldn't be doing it either. Does them doing so make it ok for you to do the same? Stop using other peoples bad behavior to justify your own.

And it's not my definition of a valid poll, it's science's definition of what a valid poll is, as determined my mathematicians, statisticians, pollsters, and others who research these things. It's not my fault you're ignorant of the facts concerning basic polling and statistical analysis. If you're not going to recognize basic facts when presented with them, then continuing this discussion is pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is literally the dumbest thing I have read on this page (not the thread though).
    Single should refer to Peter not being in any relationship, not when he's not married.
    Gwen died because Gerry Conway felt the relationship wasn't interesting, and marrying Peter wasn't worth it. Does that not count as a reason why Peter should be single? Or is it only in the context of his relationship with Mary Jane?

If that's the case, then the thread should be called "Reasons To Keep Peter Parker and Mary Jane Watson apart" or "Reasons Not to Bring back the Spider-Marriage".

Seriously, Peter being single can refer to any point in his life. The marriage can only work when Peter is an adult.
    It's not dumb, you would have understood the context of how we were using the term "single" if you had bothered to read some of those previous pages which you so proudly claimed to have ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Aruran. View Post

The term single has multiple definitions.

In this context, it means unmarried. It is often used in that way.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/maritalStatusF4c.htm

There are few readers who don't want Peter Parker to ever be in a relationship.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

You have no idea how much it tickles me to see you use the FAFSA site to prove a point.
    Good form!

BANNED

People on the other side of the argument shouldn't be doing it either. Does them doing so make it ok for you to do the same? Stop using other peoples bad behavior to justify your own.
    Asking people to back up their arguments with proof is bad behavior?

And it's not my definition of a valid poll, it's science's definition of what a valid poll is, as determined my mathematicians, statisticians, pollsters, and others who research these things. It's not my fault you're ignorant of the facts concerning basic polling and statistical analysis. If you're not going to recognize basic facts when presented with them, then continuing this discussion is pointless.
    But why are the scientific polls the only ones that we are supposed to count? When did we agree to that?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMacQuarrie1 View Post
    Asking people to back up their arguments with proof is bad behavior?

But why are the scientific polls the only ones that we are supposed to count? When did we agree to that?
    You do the same thing that they do, stating your opinion as fact and making misleading statements. Live up to your own standards.

Scientifically conducted polls are the only ones that have any real meaning because their results are backed up by a tested and proven methodology. You can cite any poll you want, but if there is no scientific methodology then the results don't really tell you much of anything. Looking at that poll you cited, it just tells us that of the people that chose to take it, a majority preferred Spidey being married. You can't even assume that the over 5,000 votes cast in the poll represents the views of that many different individuals, considering how simple it is to vote multiple times in an online poll. Online polls are a novelty, useful for encouraging discussion and getting hits on your website, not for gaining a real understanding of a population's opinion on an issue.

We had a poll on it last Thursday. You weren't there.

(then we deleted the poll)

BANNED

It was a good poll. There was pudding.

And a dolphin. But he kinda turned into a dick when someone brought up tuna and Mets had to shut it all down.

At least it didn't thread-drift, though.

BANNED

You do the same thing that they do, stating your opinion as fact and making misleading statements. Live up to your own standards.
    Where have I done that?

Scientifically conducted polls are the only ones that have any real meaning because their results are backed up by a tested and proven methodology. You can cite any poll you want, but if there is no scientific methodology then the results don't really tell you much of anything. Looking at that poll you cited, it just tells us that of the people that chose to take it, a majority preferred Spidey being married. You can't even assume that the over 5,000 votes cast in the poll represents the views of that many different individuals, considering how simple it is to vote multiple times in an online poll. Online polls are a novelty, useful for encouraging discussion and getting hits on your website, not for gaining a real understanding of a population's opinion on an issue.
    Again, I don't really remember agreeing in this conversation that we'd only accept polls that were done in a scientific manor. Why do we have to follow the standards you are setting down as to what counts and what doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by cyberhubbs View Post
    It was a good poll. There was pudding.

And a dolphin. But he kinda turned into a dick when someone brought up tuna and Mets had to shut it all down.

At least it didn't thread-drift, though.
    I missed the dolphin?! Son of a...

It's not dumb, you would have understood the context of how we were using the term "single" if you had bothered to read some of those previous pages which you so proudly claimed to have ignored.
    Ok first off I wasn't reading the comments between you and RobertMac on sales and preferences.(I'm still not)
    I reread everything else after I made my comment.

Second, that logic is flaw. If being single just means Peter isn't married to MJ, does that mean when he dated Carlie he was still single? or what about when he was with Gwen in the past? Or the first time with MJ? That logic means pre-marriage and post-marriage has Peter single, even if he's dating someone else.

Still doesn't change the fact your saying if he's dating someone he's then single.:/

This was the feeling I got from most of the posters on this thread.
    For the record I don't think if Peter's not with the preferred love interest of the fan, they wouldn't want him in a relationship at all.

The truth is, there are a ton of potential stories for Peter's personal life if you go in either direction. The franchise moving forward and still being fresh and creative has nothing at all to do with the main character being married, and much more to do with the level of creativity and the overall quality of the people Marvel hires to write, edit, and art the books.

The reason Marvel chose single Peter over married Peter is a simple one. Single Peter can undergo changes, be shifted from situation to situation, namely in his love life, and never noticeably move the needle of time. Similar level changes that would occur in married Peter's life DO move the needle of time noticeably.

The most obvious development, once MJ and Peter repaired their marriage, would be having a child, which introduces a whole PLETHORA of new story angles that a single Peter can't possibly experience. It creates new conflict on EVERY level of his life. Internal. Within his marriage. New challenges in balancing his time as Spiderman. Any number of things that new parents go through. I, personally, would have loved to read those stories, to see Peter take the next step of his life and develop as a character that much more. That interests me because I'm thirty, married, and have a one year old. Those stories are relate-able to me and the sector of the fan base that I represent. I understand that those stories aren't something that a teenager might have necessarily cared about, but honestly I think a good, quality story trumps relate-ability.

IMO (just my opinion, no facts to found here), OMD showed me a few things about the Spiderman franchise. One, from this point forward, no love interest that Peter ever meets matters, because editorial wants, ultimately, a single Peter, so the relationship will eventually end. How it ends is up for debate, but it has to end, because long term commitment ages the character too much. Two, it overall showed me that Spiderman is, right now, exactly all he will ever be allowed to be. Yes, there will be periods where things are very different, like Doc Oc taking over his body, but those changes will be temporary. Other than those brief periods, Spiderman will be no different.

Basically what I'm saying is, OMD proved to me that Marvel wanted this character to be static so that he appealed to a demographic that they had set in their heads as being their primary fan base, and so that writers would have an "easier time" writing the character. I have no interest in a franchise that does either of those things, and since that happened I haven't spent a dime on a Spiderman related product. Not because I have sour grapes, but because, IMO, the truth of the situation is one that holds no appeal for me what so ever.
    Last edited by Goggindowner; 07-17-2014 at 09:15 PM.
    I co-host a podcast about comics. Mostly it's X-Men comics of the 90's.

Billy and Dan Read Comics!

Second, that logic is flaw. If being single just means Peter isn't married to MJ, does that mean when he dated Carlie he was still single? or what about when he was with Gwen in the past? Or the first time with MJ? That logic means pre-marriage and post-marriage has Peter single, even if he's dating someone else.
    Yeah, that's pretty much how it works.

Basically, you're either single or your married. You could be dating somebody or involved or whatever, but that's still being various degrees of "single."

If you've ever had to fill out any paperwork that asks for your marital status, there's usually not an option for "dating somebody right now".