Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post

Diana, her fans, her teammates, and her authors don't benefit from a portrayal of Diana who's less approachable "when compared to her sister". Less fun "when compared to her sister". Less flirty(?) "when compared to her sister". I don't like reading about Diana when she's considered alien, aloof, antiquated, archetypal, or naive. The argument against is that no character should be infallible or faultless, but Diana's weaknesses should never be that she doesn't relate or cannot comprehend.
    It depends on how it is presented. Rucka, Perez and Jimenez wrote her that way and did well. Johns in his early days not so much.

Donna's core character trait shouldn't be she's a consistent silver medal winner "when compared to her sister" --but sure knows how to program a DVR. That's not a character foil, that's an echo chamber.
    I think you're really oversimplifying things here.

To compare: Robin(Tim) is optimistic compared to Batman. Robin(Damian) is draconian compared to Batman. Superboy(Connor) is frustrated compared to Superman. Speedy(Arsenal) is myopic compared to Green Arrow. Donna Troy is "human" compared to Wonder Woman?
    This goes back to my presentation statement. These descriptions depending on how they're handled can also be damaging to the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think you're really oversimplifying things here.
    I'll grant you I did simplify, but I think the character's thin nuances and compounded complications are what prevents her from finding a solid, consistent place in DC's universe(s).

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

I'll grant you I did simplify, but I think the character's thin nuances and compounded complications are what prevents her from finding a solid, consistent place in DC's universe(s).
    I think you're not only oversimplifying things, but also that you're decidedly against seeing Donna as anything more than a 'Wonder Woman-lite.' Both MTroy and I made wonderful points about exactly what made Donna different from Diana, and you basically glossed entirely over them. You even later tried to reference the same point I made, trying to twist it to better suit the one that you were trying to make, and frankly - to use your own words, you made our point for us.

To compare: Robin(Tim) is optimistic compared to Batman. Robin(Damian) is draconian compared to Batman. Superboy(Connor) is frustrated compared to Superman. Speedy(Arsenal) is myopic compared to Green Arrow. Donna Troy is "human" compared to Wonder Woman?
    Yes. Exactly. Donna Troy is human compared to Wonder Woman, she's 'normal' compared to Wonder Woman, she's the everywoman to Diana's Themysciran Princess. Frankly, especially compared to the comparisons that you've made here, this makes Donna more interesting in comparison to her mentor than the rest of them. And Tim is decidedly not the optimistic Robin, so it's not like you're entirely on point there, either.

At this point because you're so set in your ways here, for whatever reason, you're going to have to read Donna for yourself. Donna Troy, as a character and as a person, is... well... special. I love Diana, and I love Cassie, but there's just something that Donna has that makes her different than both of them. It makes her wonderful.

As a representative of the Amazons Diana has a lot more weight to carry on her shoulders than Donna.
    Donna being from Patriarch’s World and the younger daughter of Hippolyta makes thing less stressful for her...IMO.

Donna is able to be more relaxed, approachable and fun, whereas, Diana, though approachable and loving, needs to be more rigid and masterful.
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Her background seems to jumbled and messy. Why can't she just be an orphan or something rescued by Diana? If they wanna keep the tragic lives things make it occasional PTSD or something.

If it was up to me I'd make DIANA and DONNA cousins.QUEEN HIPPOLYTA had a sister ANTIOPE what if she and HYPERION the SUN GOD had a child (DONNA TROY) who now back as TROIA not on has INCREDIBLE GOD LIKE STRENGTH.IMMORTALITY.FLIGHT.SPEED and STAMINA but also has power to generation and manipulate LIGHT and FIRE but also a new nemesis in the goddess THIA.

Never liked Bryne sticking his hands into Donna's origin and making her a clone.
    Marv Wolfman had it right. He later tied the Titans of Myths to her, getting her powers from them.
    I like that the Olympians have an interest in Diana and the Titans of Myth have an interest in Donna.

The basics, for me, are that she was rescued from a building on fire in "Patriarch's World" and adopted and raised by Queen Hyppolyta.

From original Teen Titans #22

"History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.