Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: The Wicked + The Divine, #18

"The Wicked + The Divine" #18 kicks off the series' explosive new story arc as Persephone performs her first concert, the gods choose sides and Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie give readers reasons to worry.

Full review here.

For me, the impressive thing about this issue is the effortless way it builds in mythic resonance. For example just as the UK is experiencing the first rush of spring we have a story that fits into the timeframe as if it was occurring right now. Somewhere in a dark dive bar in London a retro styled young singer songwriter is stepping onto the stage. Her mythological lyrics will literally explode across the music scene.

The stories warn us never to eat if we visit the underworld, and the fruit motif hints at an occluded sexual meaning in the same way Eve's apple does. Here we have life and death, food and sex, anger and joy, tentacles and flowers. I can't help feeling the joy of spring at the first sign of Jamie McKelvie's clean and unaffected artwork. In so many ways this is a joyous return, but like spring you never know what the weather will bring. Especially when the themes included in both the writing and the art are full of portents, and those dark hued clouds, from the home of the northen gods hint at sudden heavy showers.

The colouring, by Matthew Wilson, is an open and expansive playground, complementing McKelvie's art style in an almost invisible manner. The colour choices often telling the story and defining the characters in as clear a way as any other element. It is not surprising that this is a comic that inspires the most colourful and expressive cosplay or cosmetic ranges of multiple hues.

One of the most creative comics on the stands is back in full bloom.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-08-2016 at 12:11 AM.

BANNED

Man Morrigan and Baphomet are such hypocrites. Their mad because Morrigan got beat up for aiding and abetting a murderer? Inanna got killed. Which incidentally also makes Peresphone a pretty bad friend. All I need is Baal smiting Baphomet. As Gods smites Demons.

Spectacular Member

Incredible issue. And Persephone was dope af. Excited to see how things progress from here.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Man Morrigan and Baphomet are such hypocrites. Their mad because Morrigan got beat up for aiding and abetting a murderer?
    Seems a bit of a simplification to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Seems a bit of a simplification to me.
    Yeah. Baphomet was manipulated into going on a killing spree by Ananke. Sure, he's not a good guy (and I'm more than a bit angry that he killed Inanna), but he's not entirely to blame and I for one am a least a little sympathetic.
    XMenGold XMenBlue GenX Cable Iceman AstonishingXMen UncannyAvengers SpectacularSpiderMan SecretWarriors DoctorStrange
    TheFlash Nightwing Supersons TeenTitans Aquaman Deathstroke WildStorm Saga Wicked+Divine Low Descender KillorbeKilled SeventoEternity

Quote Originally Posted by Mathieu B View Post
    Yeah. Baphomet was manipulated into going on a killing spree by Ananke. Sure, he's not a good guy (and I'm more than a bit angry that he killed Inanna), but he's not entirely to blame and I for one am a least a little sympathetic.
    Actually we are not 100 percent certain he did kill Inanna. We have differing accounts and a lack of direct visual evidence. Certainly Woden seems to think differently. Also an exploding building is not guaranteed to kill a deity. He would need to be performing and possibly directly attacked not indirectly.

I suspect misdirection by Gillen, he had other characters killed in an explosion (Laura's parents) possibly so the reader naturally assumes that explosion = death.

We also lack any context for the weird internal dialogue he was having. There are so many things that could be open to interpretation in this story right now.

One thing we do know. He is very upset about how badly beaten Morrigan was, we don't even see that clearly but it seems she needed time to heal. What we do see was a tortuous, multiple blow beating, to the face, to someone that is not guilty of murder and may be telling the truth. Even his allies seem to think Baal lacked the appropriate restraint and Dionysus, who seems neutral, is actively calling for her release.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-08-2016 at 05:58 PM.

BANNED

Baphomet hasn't denied it. Ananke suggested it, she didn't force him to do it. He is a murder or at least attempted about and he is whining about his GF getting a beating for helping him. Sorry no sympathy. Sympathy for Morrigan and Baal sure. For Baphomet no, Baal needs to kill him.

Laura coming back was obvious. She is the main character plus you know her characters mythology.

Dionysus has always been loyal to Morrigan so he is hardly neutral.

Baphomet hasn't denied it. Ananke suggested it, she didn't force him to do it. He is a murder or at least attempted about and he is whining about his GF getting a beating for helping him. Sorry no sympathy. Sympathy for Morrigan and Baal sure. For Baphomet no, Baal needs to kill him.

Laura coming back was obvious. She is the main character plus you know her characters mythology.

Dionysus has always been loyal to Morrigan so he is hardly neutral.
    Nobody is asking for sympathy. Just pointing out your view isn't objective and can be diametrically argued against. I am trying to imagine an avatar of Baphomet that would plead innocence. Hmmmmm, no can't do it, mope and wallow with occasional righteous anger maybe. Trying to imagine a Baal not switching sides, hmm possible but he seems to be getting suspicious and a sky God being manipulated is a well trodden story that usually ends with realisation and retribution.

I have been trying to stay quiet about the reasonably obvious idea that Persephone was coming back. Sure it is predictable but the writing is perfect and nuanced here, not the standard myth cycle and a very interesting growth inspired power set. I am equally enjoying how it is possible to see her side of the story as dangerous and wrong. She has our sympathy from the first two trades but we don't really know this character right now.

I think you are being swayed by the myth as delivered by Ananke. Anyone that is not with her is explained away as against her. She has total control over the way the story is told about the longer history and we can see quite a few lies in her account. Not least how she probably converts youngsters of her choosing into gods rather than seek out gods hidden in people. It is hard to believe a single thing she says right now, and yet she could have good intentions.

BANNED

Swayed? Hardly Baphomet should die. I don't think Ananke is right. But she didn't force Baphomet to do anything. Obviously she is the major problem doesn't mean Baphomet deserves a free pass.

I am guessing you were never a goth.

BANNED

Nope. But its not that there is something about some pasty white dude getting away with killing a nice brown dude that resonates on a more visceral level.

Nope. But its not that there is something about some pasty white dude getting away with killing a nice brown dude that resonates on a more visceral level.
    And again, did we see that happen? No. And the body was conveniently removed.

If you study the Wodan issue you will note he has no idea about Laura being killed. He was asked to retrieve a body and then lists the deaths. The only possibility is Inanna, so why was Ananke there and why is she covered in blood? Did she blow his head up perhaps?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 04-09-2016 at 02:10 AM.

BANNED

Pretty sure he was suppose to clean up Laura.