Super Moderator

Default ECCC: DC Entertainment - All Access

DC Comics, Vertigo and MAD are all in the spotlight on opening day of Emerald City Comicon, less than two weeks after DC's big "Rebirth" reveal.

Full article here.

DiDio started the panel by talking a bit about the previously stated motivations for Rebirth -- reconnecting with DC's core fanbase -- and called it "one of the most important relaunches of our line in quite a while."
    If DiDio understood what the fanbase wanted, he wouldn't have to be doing another relaunch in an attempt to reconnect with them.

Maybe after all this time they should put someone else in charge?

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If DiDio understood what the fanbase wanted, he wouldn't have to be doing another relaunch in an attempt to reconnect with them.

Maybe after all this time they should put someone else in charge?
    The fanbase doesn't know what it really wants.

What Didio means is that he wants people talking about what is happening in DC comics and he wants to sell more books.

Doom Patrol is back .

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Doom Patrol is back .
    Yes, in the "Young Animal" line.

Sounded a lot like Vertigo to me.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

This Young Animal line sounds interesting. Yay for the return of Doom Patrol!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Young Animal sounds like DC's attempt at mix between DCyou and Vertigo, which is not a bad thing at all. I like the idea that it could be possibly be set in the DC universe while also it's own independent series and do whatever it is they want. My one concern though is that Mother Panic sounds like another female Batman to me, but I could be proven wrong. Either way I'll at least try an issue or so.
    Last edited by sifighter; 04-07-2016 at 06:17 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Surprised and excited about this "Young Animal" line. Hope it lasts.

Astonishing Member

I was hoping the Doom Patrol would return to the DCU with the Titans and the League.

I guess not. I'm glad for its fans. Cave Carson too? I didn't expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    My one concern though is that Mother Panic sounds like another female Batman to me, but I could be proven wrong.
    She seemed more like a female Punisher to me. Like Jennifer Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    She seemed more like a female Punisher to me. Like Jennifer Blood.
    Perhaps but her appearance and description just scream Batman to me, not to mention that its set in Gotham.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Doom Patrol!

All-New Member

I'm glad that they said Midnighter will still be important. Excited to see where he, and everyone else in the DCU, will be headed after Rebirth

BANNED

While I will give them that it's atleast interesting they want to launch something like 'Young Animal' and atleast try to make something new(ish) and interesting simply by breaking away from all the big franchises... I can't say any of this is appealing to me personally.
    Doom Patrol; ok, but either I am going to wonder where Beast Boy is or lament it's not Morrisons greatness, thats the risks there.
    Shade... I'll be honest, Milligan appeared to be the only one who knew how to write the original, and I was rather relieved when Shade buggered off and the JLD never saw him again, dunno if the female version is going to be any different or better.
    Rest I know next to nothing about so can't say anything.

Kamandi Challenge: This is to me just another attempt at making a Kirby homage into a viable entity on it's own, which I don't see working any more than say Challengers of the Unknown did(n't). Great for people who are actually into that character, but I fail to see the appeal of the basic idea.

Another announcement! In the spirit of 1985-1986's "DC Challenge," a 12-issue series where 12 teams of creators told one story, round-robin style, DiDio announced the "Kamandi Challenge," where 12 writers and 12 artists were "carefully selected" and then paired at "random" to tell a story starring Jack Kirby's Kamandi, The Last Boy On Earth.

Here are the teams: Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham, Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams, Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti, James Tynion IV & Carlos D'Anda, Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis, Steve Orlando & Philip Tan, Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens, Keith Giffen & Steve Rude, Tom King & Kevin Eastman, Greg Pak & Joe Prado, Rob Williams & Walter Simonson, Gail Simone & Ryan Sook and Len Wein & José Luis García-López. (Yes, that's 13 teams.)
    Fry-Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I've waited thirty years for something like the glorious DC CHALLENGE! (still my favorite maxi-series ever created) to arrive again – all is forgiven, DC – do you guys take payment in the form of first-born children?