GonzoThe912TH

Default Best Spider-Man Series?

Please help, I'm thinking of starting spiderman, i just don't know where i should start...
    So what is the best spiderman series, what i mean by that is The Amazing Spiderman (OG)
    The Ultimate Spiderman Etc so please rank some of them so i know which one would be a good read, which one did you enjoy reading the most? And is there anything i need too know before I venture into this? Thanks.

It depends on the kind of comics you like.

There are a lot of options.

The best approavh for a new reader I think it to get a stretch of issues, perhaps a complete creative run. There may be some questions about the backstory, but it will be much easier to follow transitions issue by issue, rather than trying to figure out how things changed from one comic to another, as enemies become friends while villains died and came back. Rather than being worried about understanding the material in the past, the reader can focus on the character’s present, following various subplots from beginning to end.

One option is to go with the classic comics (Amazing Spider-Man #1-150) but you may find it dated.

Ultimate Spider-Man is a more recent look at what it would be like for a kid in high school to become a superhero, and had about 212+ issues by the same writer.

You could also go with the current comics since either Amazing Spider-Man #546 or #648, two points at which the status quo recently changed.

If you have a tablet, I highly recommend a subscription to Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, which includes most of the above comics.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Just read Mark Millar's Marvel Knights #1-12 collection.

As Mr Mets said, the best----and by far most economical----approach is to get a Marvel Unlimited digital subscription. Only about $60 for a whole year (special deal right now) and you get access to thousands of comics which all read very well on tablet devices. You can easily sample different titles and they even have collected story lines for you; easy to search and very well organized. Give it a try; the only "downside" is new comics take about 6 months to show up there.

I'd say go with Marvel Unlimited too.

Just keep an eye on the dates next to the series titles. The Amazing Spider-Man is up to volume 4 at this point.
    Last edited by Tuck; 04-08-2016 at 02:52 PM.

And it's easily Amazing, that is the best series.

Ultimate for me didn't really get good until after the stupid Carnage arc.

Spectacular was good during the 80s.

And if you want something different check out Spider-Girl

What the others a saying better go with marvel unlimited you can buy/collected what you like afterwards.
    And maybe this will help to figure out what to read on unlimted 50-greatest-spider-man-stories-master-list/

Just, like, buy some comics, man.

-Pav, who does it himself from time to time...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

If you're interested in reading through his entire history, from 1960s-early 90s, definitely Amazing Spider-Man, with some good storylines on Spectacular as well (i.e. Black Cat and mob stories of the 80s, the Harry Osborn stories of the early 90s). Starting with Kraven's Last Hunt in the late 80s, big events tend to run through all the comics on the Spidey line, including the Clone Saga and post-Clone Saga, pre-reboot era (1993-1998-ish, not a very good era though). The first reboot was initially trash so start reading JMS's run on Amazing starting at issue 30 (year 2000-ish) until One More Day in 2007. Other notable satellite books include Mark Millar's Marvel Knights run and Peter David's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (Bendis's very good Ultimate Spider-Man run also starts around 1999 or so and survives today as "Spider-Man" featuring Miles Morales).

Post-One More Day, it's been all Amazing Spider-Man really, with Superior Spider-Man replacing the title temporarily recently.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    You could also go with the current comics since either Amazing Spider-Man #546 or #647, two points at which the status quo recently changed.
    Don't you mean #648? #647 includes the caption "Brand New End", because it's a finale, while #648 was the first issue of Big Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Roxas View Post
    Don't you mean #648? #647 includes the caption "Brand New End", because it's a finale, while #648 was the first issue of Big Time.
    Yeah. My bad.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Probalus View Post
    pre-reboot era (1993-1998-ish, not a very good era though).
    I seriously don't get the negativity on this era of Spidey comics. My bias is probably showing, but the stories from this time period were really enjoyable; and I liked how each title had a unique tone.

Despite my adoration for its better parts, I get why people don't like the Clone Saga. And I TOTALLY get why people didn't like the reboot (because I'm one of them). But the in-between stories? They were fun.

-Pav, who thinks the Peter/MJ dynamic was often portrayed really excellently...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

i would recommend unlimited as well. im currently getting it for $10/month (instead of the year deal), and i can easily make up a month's cost in one sitting. that way you can explore (pretty much) all the spidey stories ever and choose your favorites. i really want to read the upcoming dead no more storyline in floppies, so im currently reading everything from #648-current. right now only #1 of the new amazing spider-man series is available on there, but you could always pick the beginning of the new series as a good starting point for buying monthly floppies
    Last edited by rellum; 04-10-2016 at 09:51 AM.
    Current Pull List:
    DC (Rebirth): All-Star Batman, Aquaman, Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lanterns, Justice League
    Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man, Black Panther, Black Widow, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Power Man and Iron Fist, Spider-Gwen
    Image: The Walking Dead
    Dark Horse: Dept-H

Titles that I wish I could afford to also follow
    All-New All-Different Avengers, Scooby Apocalypse