Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Has anyone else been reading this series? I've really enjoyed it to date. The writing is fast paced and the art is earthy. Earthy? Is that a thing art can be?

Anyway, does anyone know if the Mark Waid series serves as a prequel to this series or whether the two are disconnected?

Thanks

Astonishing Member

Mark Waid's SHIELD isn't a prequel, there's no connection between the two other than sharing the same characters. Waid's SHIELD did have a guest Marvel character for each issue, because each issue was self contained. This current story structure is different and has an overlaying arc or two if you count the tie ins.

I enjoy(ed) both books.
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 04-08-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Thank you, that's very helpful.

I'm glad someone else is enjoying this series. A lack of love makes me worried for the series.

Just checked the books numbers. It's not looking great . Hopefully there's a larger plan in force on account of the TV show! It's really good writing!

I like it too! I can totally see Marvel keeping it because of the show, and I hope they do.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I'm just waiting for the issue where Grant Ward makes his official 616 debut (he did make a cameo in the Hail HYDRA Secret Wars mini), because that's the same issue Spider-Man guest-stars in, and I wanna see Spider-Man kick Ward's traitorous @$$.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I'm just waiting for the issue where Grant Ward makes his official 616 debut (he did make a cameo in the Hail HYDRA Secret Wars mini), because that's the same issue Spider-Man guest-stars in, and I wanna see Spider-Man kick Ward's traitorous @$$.
    That sounds like it's going to be great!

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I like the book, but it certainly doesn't hook me. If it weren't for the show, I probably wouldn't have gotten it. I'll stick it out through the first arc regardless, though. I just wish the Agents of SHIELD got a bit more attention (but there's still time for that).

It's kinda sad that Marvel isn't making more SHIELD books. I think that corner of the universe has huge potential.

It can have solo books with Mockinjay, Quake, and Nick Fury, you could even rope Hawkeye and Black Widow under the SHIELD umbrella

You get basic spy-fi stuff with Agents of SHIELD

You get super-heroics with Secret Warriors and Secret Avengers

You can get space stuff with SWORD (Captain Marvel is doing this though)

SHIELD has a magic division for supernatural stuff.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zolalnadia View Post
    It's kinda sad that Marvel isn't making more SHIELD books. I think that corner of the universe has huge potential.

It can have solo books with Mockinjay, Quake, and Nick Fury, you could even rope Hawkeye and Black Widow under the SHIELD umbrella

You get basic spy-fi stuff with Agents of SHIELD

You get super-heroics with Secret Warriors and Secret Avengers

You can get space stuff with SWORD (Captain Marvel is doing this though)

SHIELD has a magic division for supernatural stuff.
    I see you're a fan of The Hunger Games. Not a knock on you, I've heard great things about The Hunger Games, both the novels and the films. It's just that the name you're looking for is Mockingbird. I do like your premise for building up a S.H.I.E.L.D. corner of the Marvel Universe like there's an X-Men corner, an Avengers corner, a Guardians of the Galaxy corner, and an Inhumans corner, and that's not even including a solo franchise like Spider-Man, which has a lot of spinoffs, most of which have been argued to be more compelling than the main Spider-Man title has been.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

My main problem with Agents of SHIELD is how you they've changed Daisy for the sake of synergy. Outside of that I don't really mind it.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    My main problem with Agents of SHIELD is how you they've changed Daisy for the sake of synergy. Outside of that I don't really mind it.
    Seconded, I really liked the evolution they had made with that character over the past few years, and now it seems to have been largely ... slid to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth_Brower View Post
    Seconded, I really liked the evolution they had made with that character over the past few years, and now it seems to have been largely ... slid to the side.
    And on top of that, they now draw her to look like Daisy's actress in the MCU to the point that she looks like a completely different character. One doesn't just go from a short haired slightly tanned person to a long haired, fair skinned person with slight Chinese features. It doesn't make sense and just feels insulting to those who have actually followed the character. It'd be like instead of Nick Fury Jr. having had an origin story that brought him into comics that Nick Fury just walked out one day looking like Samuel L. Jackson and everyone just acted like that was how he always was.

What I find funny about the whole make Daisy look like her TV alternate thing was how the show tried at the very same time to look and be called after her comic alternate.

In the comics she grows her hair long and Coulson calls her Sky for one issue. The show at that same time the actress has a hair cut to look more like Daisy of the comics (which the fans responded positively about) and the cast now calls her Daisy (with only Coulson at times forgetting that detail calling her Sky when worried for Daisy). It's clear that the ones writing for the comics don't communicate with the show team and visa-versa as when both tried for synergy the two sides went in opposite directions. But the two sides not communicating can also be a good thing as both teams should be free to do there own thing and not feel obligated that much to being exact.

I do hope comic Daisy has a hair cut soon so her and May will have a further division in looks.

I prefer her short hair too, but honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Comic book characters change their hair all the time.