Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I see where you're coming from entirely. They've essentially mini-retcon'd her.

I liked Daisy originally during Secret War and Secret Warriors. I felt like after that, she became too similar to Maria Hill (which wasn't helped by Marvel actually giving her Hill's job), so I don't necessarily mind the change. I think I prefer this version of the character than her post-secret warriors / pre SHIELD self, but have enjoyed and will continue to enjoy the main stories she's been in since her introduction.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    What I find funny about the whole make Daisy look like her TV alternate thing was how the show tried at the very same time to look and be called after her comic alternate.

In the comics she grows her hair long and Coulson calls her Sky for one issue. The show at that same time the actress has a hair cut to look more like Daisy of the comics (which the fans responded positively about) and the cast now calls her Daisy (with only Coulson at times forgetting that detail calling her Sky when worried for Daisy). It's clear that the ones writing for the comics don't communicate with the show team and visa-versa as when both tried for synergy the two sides went in opposite directions. But the two sides not communicating can also be a good thing as both teams should be free to do there own thing and not feel obligated that much to being exact.

I do hope comic Daisy has a hair cut soon so her and May will have a further division in looks.
    They could always give her the not-quite-short hair her TV counterpart has.

Alternatively they could give her short hair, and is anyone gets upset, they can say they ran out of ink for long hair. Or give her long hair, and when people want short, they can say that they did too but the pencil slipped. Easy! :P

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    My main problem with Agents of SHIELD is how you they've changed Daisy for the sake of synergy. Outside of that I don't really mind it.
    I agree about the way she is drawn (although there's a brief moment she has long hair in Secret Warriors), but I haven't noticed anything dramatic with her personality - particularly because she doesn't have much personality at all in the run so far, so it's hard to say her personality is inconsistent. I think it's fair to ask whether she would be used at all if not for this comic.

Bluebird

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I agree about the way she is drawn (although there's a brief moment she has long hair in Secret Warriors), but I haven't noticed anything dramatic with her personality - particularly because she doesn't have much personality at all in the run so far, so it's hard to say her personality is inconsistent. I think it's fair to ask whether she would be used at all if not for this comic.
    I'd be hard-pressed to pin down any characterization for her other than "elite teen agent trained as Nick Fury's protege".

This goes towards my earlier point. The reason I don't mind 'Daisy 2.0' is because 1.0 was rather limited and inconsistent. There was mysterious OP daisy in Secret War, and then rookie becomes Fury protégé in Secret Warriors. Then she served as a young Maria Hill in Secret Avengers (I've only just noticed -- she likes her secret series!)...

This book hasn't done all that much for her either, but I wouldn't judge them too harshly just yet. It's early days on a tricky series undoubtedly forced into 'event' after 'event' which also has a counterpart TV show to boot. I suspect we'll get some character driven stories soon enough, though.

Thinking about it, I really hope that this doesn't turn into a Zeb Wells' New Mutants run. A great premise and interesting cast, forever the slave of 'event tie-in' initiatives. :s

Quote Originally Posted by Stars & Stripes View Post
    I'd be hard-pressed to pin down any characterization for her other than "elite teen agent trained as Nick Fury's protege".
    I think the biggest thing in Secret Warriors was the growing pains as a leader. Obviously, as a supporting member, that doesn't apply. Also, as an experienced veteran, that doesn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I prefer her short hair too, but honestly, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Comic book characters change their hair all the time.
    True but for her it's beyond just changing her hair. It's basically that they gave her a race lift.
    She went from this:

to this:

She doesn't even look like the same person anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    True but for her it's beyond just changing her hair. It's basically that they gave her a race lift.
    She went from this:

to this:

She doesn't even look like the same person anymore.
    And don't forget she also went from mutant to inhuman. (I know, is slighty off-topic).
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

She was never a mutant. The whole premise of Secret Warriors is they're the kids of supervillains whose own genetic modifications screwed up the genes for their kids (the only exceptions are Manifold, who was a Mutant, and Phobos, who was a god). Daisy Johnson never had the X-Gene.

Is it really fair to claim they changed the race of someone when they're drawing her to look like someone who literally is the same race? BTW, I'll do my best to find a close-up picture of her current look since, obviously, you can't see much there.

Untitled.jpg

This is as close as I can find, if it helps.
    Last edited by Adam; 04-09-2016 at 12:39 PM.

Here's a good one:

To be honest, one of my biggest complaints about this book is the female characters look the same. Daisy Johnson and Melinda May look indistinguishable because May looks so young. Jemma Simmons looks slightly different because her hair color is lighter. But I have to wait for someone to say a name and then backtrack before I'm certain who is who.

I agree! I can tell when they're together, but when apart, I have no idea who is talking.

Incredible Member

I just read the first 2 books. Really enjoyed it so far which was a total surprise since I wasn't expecting much but the way the dialogue is written totally matches what the characters would say on the show.(Makes it even better since knowing the characters you can add the tonal shifts in the voice since we are so familiar with them already). I never read anything before with Daisy in it but I agree so far she's just there. Maybe during Civil War 2 she'll get some major character development considering it involves the fate of an Inhuman.
    Last edited by Punjabi_Hitman; 04-09-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Yeah, sometimes it's really impossible to distinguish her and May, I think that even caused an edit mistake where May it's called Daisy or something.
    I think they should go with:
    May just stays how she is.
    Jemma with long hair, since her hair is brighter and she's not asian, she won't look like Daisy or May.
    Daisy with short hair, it can be the previous one or a bit like the show.
    Last edited by Wiccan; 04-09-2016 at 02:00 PM.