View Poll Results: Will X-men: Apocalypse outgross Deadpool?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 19.35%
  • No

50 80.65%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olivree View Post
    You know Alice who grossed over one billion before and still have Disney's endless money to heavily PR her? Yeah, that Alice.
    That movie only reached a billion because of the newly developed 3D. It's reception doesn't that good.

No. Too many dismarvel fan's who hate Fox's X-men that will say that the movie is bad even if it was good.
    ꦩꦒ꧀ꦤꦺꦠꦺꦴ ꦩꦺꦩꦁ ꦧꦼꦤꦂ

BANNED

I think it can. Keep in mind that movies in a franchise are largely impacted by the performance of its predecessor. While Deadpool certainly built a lot of its haul on its own merits, I don't doubt that Days of Future Past's success had SOME influence. I expect to see Deadpool's success to affect Apocalypse, bolstered by the overseas market Deadpool missed out on.

It still won't be as PROFITABLE, however.

Right now, I'm going to say no. I think Deadpool will be Fox's top-grossing movie of the year. X-men: Apocalypse may come close, but they aren't going to top Deadpool for a very specific reason. In the weeks following X-men: Apocalypse's release, they'll face competition from the Ninja Turtles and Independence Day 2. I think that's going to cut heavily into their gross. Deadpool had the luxury of coming out during a time when it had next to no competition. That allowed it to build up buzz after the release that kept it going. I don't think X-men: Apocalypse will be able to do the same. But I've been wrong about these things before.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

Or if you want, check out my YouTube channel, Jack's World.

No they won't.

Deadpool had fun, sexiness, explosive action and endearing characters. Singer doesn't do that.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post

No they won't.

Deadpool had fun, sexiness, explosive action and endearing characters. Singer doesn't do that.
    Actually, he did at least one of those with Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Quicksilver.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    Actually, he did at least one of those with Wolverine, Nightcrawler, and Quicksilver.
    Tiny bits sprinkled across 16 years of movies does not a blockbuster make.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I'm gonna have to say that I seriously doubt this film's ability to beat Deadpool because there are just too many thing against it. More so than there are things for it. But we'll just have to wait and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I could see it going either way, but I voted yes to be optimistic.

Maybe deadpool's success will give the x-movie a boost. Maybe it will have no affect at all. Maybe not having the "old cast" make an appearance will hurt sales. Then again DOFP was a huge success so maybe this sequel will be highly anticipated. It's hard to weigh all the factors and come up with a solid prediction.

I think the biggest hurdle is that it will be sharing sales with civil war, even if the latter will have already been out for a couple of weeks.
    Indeed, weighing all the variables makes it so that it could really go either way. Predicting this will be very difficult. Only time will tell how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by olivree View Post
    You know Alice who grossed over one billion before and still have Disney's endless money to heavily PR her? Yeah, that Alice.
    I still can't believe that that film really crossed over a billion!

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Domestic gross? Most likely not. No X-Men movie has crossed over 300M yet and I don't think Apocalypse can do that.

Worldwide gross? Possible. While I loved Deadpool I think some of the humor left international audiences wondering what the heck the jokes meant. Apocalypse should reach a broader audience worldwide.

I loved DOFP. Best X-Men movie IMO. But that only made a not so impressive 233M domestically. And people think the sequel will make 130M+ more the DOFP domestically? Can't see that happening.
    I don't know about the humor leaving non-American audiences all that confused. As a European who hasn't read much of Deadpool I can honestly say that I wasn't all that confused. And from what I could tell neither were many others. Theaters were pretty full and people seemed to enjoy the film pretty much. After all the humor overall was pretty universal. Or at least the type of humor that works for all westerners. Maybe if it had been shown in China then the humors not translating so well might have been a problem.

And besides, many western countries air US shows and consume a lot of media from US including movies and tv shows. And with internet having advanced the globalization I think that many references that might have been lost on Europeans while being funny to only Americans back before the internet are now at least almost equally funny to Europeans too since we usually hear about those things on the internet. Maybe if the movie had had a lot of jokes about NBA or Baseball or something very American like that then Europeans would have been more lost but there weren't really any jokes like that. And on top of all that, of course many people who have never read comics are familiar with Deadpool from the games and many people these days play video games, regardless where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    Nope. People are responding to fun superhero movies and, sorry, but X-Men AoA doesn't look very fun to me...
    Whether or not some people want to admit it, this seems to be the case. I mean, BvS received some quite negative reviews from the critics, the comics fans AND the general audience! And it certainly wasn't THAT bad of a film. It had pretty much even amounts of good and bad. But one for the things that probably hurt it was that it was too dark and grim and gritty for a film featuring Superman and Batman going at it.

There's a reason why mindless action flicks with mostly positive and joke-y nature (MCU, Transformers) make a big buck and are seemingly popular with the audiences. People like dumb and fun action flicks! And they expect to have have fun and be entertained while watching a film and I can't really blame them for that because I honestly would much rather watch a fun action flick like Deadpool than a serious action flick that has very little or no fun to be had like BvS or X-Men: DoFP. And X-Men: A looks much closer in tone to those 2 than Deadpool.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Sin View Post
    That movie only reached a billion because of the newly developed 3D. It's reception doesn't that good.
    I really hope that this is the reason because that movie was annoying! It was so by the numbers that I couldn't believe it! For me it's like Avatar. It made a ton of money and while it might have looked impressive visually there was nothing original or engaging in it beyond the look! I guess one could call this the Avatar effect.

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelMaster616 View Post
    Right now, I'm going to say no. I think Deadpool will be Fox's top-grossing movie of the year. X-men: Apocalypse may come close, but they aren't going to top Deadpool for a very specific reason. In the weeks following X-men: Apocalypse's release, they'll face competition from the Ninja Turtles and Independence Day 2. I think that's going to cut heavily into their gross. Deadpool had the luxury of coming out during a time when it had next to no competition. That allowed it to build up buzz after the release that kept it going. I don't think X-men: Apocalypse will be able to do the same. But I've been wrong about these things before.
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot about those factors as well!

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Tiny bits sprinkled across 16 years of movies does not a blockbuster make.
    16 years? Singer only directed three of the X-films.

No. Deadpool had appeal beyond comic-book fans as it also worked as a funny comedy movie and word of mouth spread fast that it was hilarious.

The X-Men films, especially Singer's X-Men films, have become increasingly dull and dour. They'll bring in the hardcore fans, but I don't see them getting any traction on casual viewers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by genki_desu View Post
    The X-Men films, especially Singer's X-Men films, have become increasingly dull and dour.
    I don't see this at all. DoFP had quite a few ROFL moments in the 70s scenes (because of course they weren't going to play anything in the future for laughs).

It just wasn't a day-glo quipfest like the MCU films. You want dull and dour, go check out the Snyderverse. The only moment in that entire movie that drew a chuckle out of the audience was Bats' "Oh ****." when Doomsday first tried using his heat vision on him. The amount of comedy in the main X-Films has largely been consistent since the first one.

Wolverine was mostly used as comedic relief in DOFP. Out of all the Singer films, that one had the most humor.

As for BvS, I do remember people getting a laugh out of "granny's peach tea", Alfred, and Martha's line to Batman.

The marketing and hype just isn't on par with what Deadpool was generating prior to release. Throw in some very stiff competition at the box office and I can't see it at all domestically. Globally I'm assuming it's being released in China, so that might even it up some.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusanagi View Post
    The marketing and hype just isn't on par with what Deadpool was generating prior to release. Throw in some very stiff competition at the box office and I can't see it at all domestically. Globally I'm assuming it's being released in China, so that might even it up some.
    You definitely have point with the marketing. The movie is one and a half months away and what do we have? A few trailers and posters. Compare that to all the stuff that Deadpool had and it really pales in comparison.
    I can't even understand that. It's like Fox is not interested in really selling this movie. They could do way more promotion in all kinds of avenues but they don't really do that despite this being supposedly a big blockbuster type of production.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by Galerion View Post
    You definitely have point with the marketing. The movie is one and a half months away and what do we have? A few trailers and posters. Compare that to all the stuff that Deadpool had and it really pales in comparison.
    I can't even understand that. It's like Fox is not interested in really selling this movie. They could do way more promotion in all kinds of avenues but they don't really do that despite this being supposedly a big blockbuster type of production.
    There is also the Empire Magazine covers and cars. But yeah, it's nothing compared to Deadpool's pomotion. That is probably because the movie was so cheap that they spend the rest of the money on advertisment.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 04-10-2016 at 01:09 PM.