Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The name "Superman" being a legacy title bothers me entirely. It's Kal-El/Clark Kent. That's who Superman is. The Legion is inspired by him. Supergirl is his family. A super son or daughter makes sense and should be a thing at some point. That said, none of those characters are SUPERMAN.

I'm not particularly interested in legacy characters anyway, it works well for the FLASH but outside of that? Eh. Characters can grow from other characters. BATMAN gives way to Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, etc. They aren't BATMAN but they're his legacy. I don't literally need a character to wear their mentor's shoes.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 04-10-2016 at 12:26 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I see him returning because I don't think the Post-Crisis family are going to be permanent residents of the New 52 Universe. As someone else already pointed out, they don't have the same connection to the New 52 characters that New 52 Superman does.
    I think Rebirth will fix that somehow. They already have Superman in Justice League right after Rebirth. It wouldn't make sense to have to keep reminding everyone that the one Superman is actually from another universe. Either there will be a small timeskip to make his relationship with everyone more natural, or some minor continuity change will integrate his history in the current world - Yeah, it'd leave many holes in his past, but one could say the same about Batman, really, who mostly kept his Pre-Flashpoint history in spite of many changes to the world around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The name "Superman" being a legacy title bothers me entirely. It's Kal-El/Clark Kent. That's who Superman is. The Legion is inspired by him. Supergirl is his family. A super son or daughter makes sense and should be a thing at some point. That said, none of those characters are SUPERMAN.

I'm not particularly interested in legacy characters anyway, it works well for the FLASH but outside of that? Eh. Characters can grow from other characters. BATMAN gives way to Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, etc. They aren't BATMAN but they're his legacy. I don't literally need a character to wear their mentor's shoes.
    And yet, Batman keeps talking about who is going to replace him and, in a lot of futures, he does get replaced. Be it Damian, or Terry. For Clark, I think it would play out differently but you can't say Superman can't have legacy. Especially since everyone that he inspires to fight can be considered just that.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I've thought about all this Rebirth stuff today during slow periods at work, and It occurred to me that perhaps everything we are being told is sort of a smoke screen to hide the " shocking events" that unfold in the REBIRTH special.

Perhaps what will actually happen is what I thought awhile back, I.E. the two Supermen merge, but maybe not as a result of a contrivance for just Superman, but as a result of the pre and post DCU timelines merging into one. Perhaps the solicits are fudging certain details and facts similar to how many of the solicits for the initial New 52 launch fudged certain details in order to preserve the mystery of just how profound the New 52 reboot was. Perhaps all this talk about Pre flashpoint Superman coming to Metropolis to take over the mantle is to hide the fact that after REBIRTH there are no preFlashpoint and post Flashpoint Supermen...just one Superman, a new Superman born from the merged DCU that just so happens to have more in common history wise with the Superman from Lois and Clark than Nuperman.

Somethng like this may still upset some, but at least we wouldn't have a situation where a Superman is killed and another taking over his spot. It'll just be a Superman in his native timeline, albeit a softly rebooted one. It still would be more Superdad than Nuperman but at least we wont have the awkwardness of Superdad "stealing" Another Supermans place, as this new universe is his.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 04-10-2016 at 02:15 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't mind that idea except if lex is gonna put on the shield there has to be a reason that he's paying tribute.

It seems like people are still mistaking Jurgens for having said that Jon will be the new Superman. Not happening, but the idea is there. Superman is all about legacy given that super inspiration is arguably his greatest power. He's the last guy to get bent out of shape about someone else inheriting his will. Again, Lex will be taking up his symbol in the next story.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post

I think I like legacy characters, because after awhile, I get kind of bored with the originals, and would like to see a different take on them.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Superman needs another reboot like he needs Kryptonite, but I'd honestly prefer a 'merged' version of the character timelines so long as it kept the essential New 52 stuff (we got a Batman almost exactly like his pre-52 self from the very different origin of Zero Year, getting a Superman more like his pre-52 self from Morrison's Action isn't too far fetched as long as they don't ditch the most important aspects of that) over the kind of shenanigans we're hearing about. But I don't think that's what we're getting.
    Buh-bye

Quote Originally Posted by beetee View Post
    I'm really wondering if Johns is going to end up merging characters / histories from pre-flashpoint / Nu52. I think it's the only way this works without "awkward" conversations between SuperDad and the rest of the 52 universe.
    Yeah, I have to wonder how the earlier superman is going to relate to the rest of the new 52. Is he going to reveal himself to the justice league? The trinity? Surely they're going to know something's up with him, if he doesn't know certain things.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I've thought about all this Rebirth stuff today during slow periods at work, and It occurred to me that perhaps everything we are being told is sort of a smoke screen to hide the " shocking events" that unfold in the REBIRTH special.

Perhaps what will actually happen is what I thought awhile back, I.E. the two Supermen merge, but maybe not as a result of a contrivance for just Superman, but as a result of the pre and post DCU timelines merging into one. Perhaps the solicits are fudging certain details and facts similar to how many of the solicits for the initial New 52 launch fudged certain details in order to preserve the mystery of just how profound the New 52 reboot was. Perhaps all this talk about Pre flashpoint Superman coming to Metropolis to take over the mantle is to hide the fact that after REBIRTH there are no preFlashpoint and post Flashpoint Supermen...just one Superman, a new Superman born from the merged DCU that just so happens to have more in common history wise with the Superman from Lois and Clark than Nuperman.

Somethng like this may still upset some, but at least we wouldn't have a situation where a Superman is killed and another taking over his spot. It'll just be a Superman in his native timeline, albeit a softly rebooted one. It still would be more Superdad than Nuperman but at least we wont have the awkwardness of Superdad "stealing" Another Supermans place, as this new universe is his.

Good thought except that their practical worlds were so far apart that they idea may be completely unworkable

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I don't mind that idea except if lex is gonna put on the shield there has to be a reason that he's paying tribute.
    Isn't Lex already wearing the shield during the Darkseid War story? I'm a few issues behind, but from what I understand Lex has ended up with Superman's powers somehow after Darkseid "died" and Supes went all firepit infected, right? Plus the cover of JUSTICE LEAGUE #51 shows Lex on a throne wearing the shield. Perhaps he's not wearing the "S" out of reverence for a "fallen" Superman,but out of pure arrogance after ending up with powers. I could see Lex wearing the shield and declare himself Superman just to piss the "real" Superman (whatever form he takes) off.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't touch JL with a ten foot pole tbh, so I didn't know that. I'll be impressed if he's in a position where the other heroes don't wanna rip that thing from him once Superman "dies" but if there's a team up by the end of June I guess it won't be too hostile.

Quote Originally Posted by ManSinha View Post
    Good thought except that their practical worlds were so far apart that they idea may be completely unworkable
    It would be a fuster cluck,but if they treat it like DISPENSER OF TRUTH mentions,it may be the best solution to get to where DC wants with the Superman franchise. I.E. approach it like Post-Flashpoint Batman where they kept most of his canon,but swapped out YEAR ONE for ZERO YEAR. Meaning, this is still Superdad with most of his important history (Died and returned, eventually Married Lois Lane, they have a kid etc,) but instead of his "early years" being the Byrne/Secret Origin/Birthright mess, it's essentially the Morrison run of ACTION COMICS, with cherry picked bits of the New 52's other runs intergrated into this Superman's history (JOHNS and Lee's JUSTICE LEAGUE, Scott Lobdell's Krypton stuff,even say some of the SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN stuff occurred several years ago in the past of this Superman, keeping the Power Couple stuff as canon). It wouldn't be perfect,but it's a better alternative and would at least attempt to preserve the things that worked from the New 52 instead of tossing it all away.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I didn't read through all nine pages so forgive me if this has already been brought up but I kind of wonder if WB corporate isn't mandating this from on high. They have a new movie out and want the comics to align with the new movie. In said movie, Lois and Clark are an item. Now, that isn't to say that they sent someone to guide the transition but if they point blank said "Get Lois and Clark back together!" then it would make sense to use the version that already is together than force some elaborate excuse for the main versions to hook up with Lois after establishing he is in a relationship with WW for the last three years or so. And keep in mind, Henry Cavill isn't exactly in his twenties anymore. So there's that.

As for Jurgens not liking the New Superman, it's already been established that he was left out of a lot of the creative decisions in regards to world building that Morrison was doing and had his hands tied a lot but was still forced to go along with what Morrison had established. So I'm guessing there was a lot of catch up involved that he had no say in. I can see why that would leave a bad taste in his mouth. That having been said, to simply jettison the New Superman and just assume that all fans will just accept it is an odd approach to be certain. As for asking "tough questions" keep in mind that he, or anyone associated with DC, might not be allowed to answer said questions. Especially if Warners is being heavy handed about things. I am of the opinion that they aren't just getting rid of New Superman and but are holding him in reserve until they can, quite frankly, figure out how to fix him.

But that comes with a danger. If Superdad really does catch on again, and they leave New Superman out of his own book for too long, it becomes harder to bring him back. It still seems odd to simply not acknowledge him and just assume fans will be okay with that. At least give us a hint that he is still alive somewhere. All of this is very odd given that Superman was one of the main reasons for the reboot back in 2011 to begin with. We basically lost the JSA for this version of Superman and now he's gone too. I honestly don't think DC knows what to do with Superman anymore. Testing out the waters on a "Superdad" seems like a new approach.

As for what I will do personally, I will still pick up things like Earth One but that's probably it for me in terms of DC. It's obvious they don't know what they are doing with the character and barring some top down firings, that probably isn't going to change. If you were to make a list of all the things I thought they'd do with the Super-books a year ago, bringing back the old version wasn't even on the list. They are clearly out in left field in terms of ideas. I will get the Rebirth one shot and see if that answers a few questions but I'm done with monthlies.
    To be honest, I don't know why they would. At the end of the movie, superman is dead, and soon to be resurrected in the justice league movie.unless Lois is going to have a part to play in his resurrection, why would them being together in the comics matter?

Back for noon feeding The Shredder's Avatar

I've already posted something similar in another thread in theorizing what sort of DCU is going to continue to go forward in the Post-REBIRTH. To me, it would be like what Alexander Luthor Jr. was doing with worlds during Infinite Crisis. Merging them together in order to get the "perfect" earth. Taking out the whole "perfect" earth subplot, something similar could be going on with Rebirth where it's revealed that both timelines are unstable to some extent, and that a merging of the two is the only hope where reality can become stabilized, and as a consequence, events/characters/essential continuity that transpired from both Pre-Flashpoint, and the New52 are now both apart of the Post-Rebirth DCU. Only there would be some serious retconning in what stays and what goes.

This... could be possible. I've actually thought about this too. With what little information we've been given, we just don't know what these guys are planning. We'll just have to wait for all of Super League and Rebirth to come out.