Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 251
  1. #31
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Wow, the level of bitterness here is surprising. So, let me see. When Superman first died and we had robo Superman, Kon, and Steel running around pushing the story forward, that was a-okay. When we had Roy taking the lead for some time and Conner Queen as Arsenal and Green Arrow, totally fine. We can have Damian playing a huge role in telling a complicated story over in batman and have several team books, and yet here, when a new character that could become just as popular as Kon and probably could be as popular as Damian, is automatically cut off at the legs because the writer decided, hey let's try to tell the story from what it was like for a very young superman to be discovering his powers in the main line rather then you know, redo yet another version of Clark gaining powers. This is something we haven't seen in a while, and the last time it was with Kon who was a lot older then Jon. Also, he's part human, what level does his powers go up to, and how does he react to things. Does Kryptonite even effect him? What happens under a red sun, etc.

    I get that people are disappointed in this change, but why not give it a chance? We're not even able to see in full writing what happens and between now and the date of the comic things might change up some.
    A good chunk of this bitterness would subside if Jon turned out to be the son of Superman and Wonder Woman when you get down to it,I didn't see anywhere near this level of bitterness towards that Wonderstar character that turned out to be Magog all along,it's no secret why. Looking at these boards I often think Superman should stick with just a Superman book because his own fans want to tear down his world. There's no point in having an extended family/line of books if haters are just going dismiss them. DC makes it worse by having different versions of the same characters in their attempts to please the haters.
    Whatever Supes they use post Rebirth I hope they stick with him,dont change the character to satisfy the fantasies of shippers and insecure fans,give a balanced and well rounded take on Superman that incorporates the best of his character from the decades of history.

  2. #32
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    A good chunk of this bitterness would subside if Jon turned out to be the son of Superman and Wonder Woman when you get down to it,I didn't see anywhere near this level of bitterness towards that Wonderstar character that turned out to be Magog all along,it's no secret why. Looking at these boards I often think Superman should stick with just a Superman book because his own fans want to tear down his world. There's no point in having an extended family/line of books if haters are just going dismiss them. DC makes it worse by having different versions of the same characters in their attempts to please the haters.
    Whatever Supes they use post Rebirth I hope they stick with him,dont change the character to satisfy the fantasies of shippers and insecure fans,give a balanced and well rounded take on Superman that incorporates the best of his character from the decades of history.
    Superman should be single.

  3. #33
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    Superman should be single.
    I wouldn't mind really,romance is overrated as hell and frankly all romance does in the days of tumblr is ruin superhero stories(look at Arrow) and generates unnecessary conflict among the fans themselves.

  4. #34
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Vinyl Mayhem
    Posts
    3,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darkseidpwns View Post
    I wouldn't mind really,romance is overrated as hell and frankly all romance does in the days of tumblr is ruin superhero stories(look at Arrow) and generates unnecessary conflict among the fans themselves.
    DC will never do it, but as far as I'm concerned it'd be great if Superman was asexual and aromantic, and had platonic love for everyone. The end of JLA/Hitman does a good job of how I feel Superman's relationship with the world should be.

  5. #35
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,412

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    DC will never do it, but as far as I'm concerned it'd be great if Superman was asexual and aromantic, and had platonic love for everyone. The end of JLA/Hitman does a good job of how I feel Superman's relationship with the world should be.
    Yeah that isn't happening lol,I wouldn't mind writers having him be in love with someone from time to time but it should be story driven like Batman's romantic entanglements are. It shouldn't be "lets have them in a relationship because it's iconic or because it makes sense or because some fanboys want to think their character is cool".

  6. #36
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,405

    Default

    Can't speak for anyone else but Jon's parentage is completely irrelevant to me and my problem with what seems to be the aim here.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

  7. #37
    Newbie Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    24

    Default

    I know this isn't the place but isn't Jon White(super sons) just a young Jon Lane Kent I mean "White"is just a cover up name and comicvine list JLK and JW as the same character so...

  8. #38
    Mighty Member JLH's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,002

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    I'm delighted. DC makes a lot of boneheaded decisions about their characters, but every now and then they do an about turn and reverse. It took a decade for them to repair the damage done to Hal Jordan, but this time it only took five years to bring back the version of Superman that I care about, and want to read. I said when I read Convergence Superman that it was great to see his and Lois have their story advanced, and to see the character move forward. I thought it would be great if they'd pick up that storyline at some point. They did, and now it look like he's going to be THE Superman again. The same Superman I started reading in 1988 with Exile, the Krypton Man storyline, Panic in the Sky, Doomsday, Death and Return, on and on... all of that is what this Superman experienced. This is the Superman I invested so much time reading about and collecting during the triangle era.

    I'm so looking forward to being able to read about him again. I'm so looking forward to seeing his story continue.
    Ditto on all of this. After 35+ years I dropped the Superman titles roughly a year after the New 52 launch but have loved the Superman & Lois title and just added all the Super-titles to my pull list. Can't believe I'm actually excited about the character again.

  9. #39
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    282

    Default

    Well, it's finally been cemented.

    I'm done.

    I'll be reading Wonder Woman and I sincerely hope the people in charge of the Superman line get fired and the line plummets.

    For the rest, Marvel it is.

  10. #40
    Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Don't Know Anymore
    Posts
    3,117

    Default

    Rebirth can't come fast enough. Can't wait for Dan's run on Action!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

  11. #41
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,197

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Talking about anyone becoming a "possible future Superman" is nothing more than a gimmick having nothing to do with getting the character. In fact it leans more in the direction of not getting him if one truly believed that, which I don't think Jurgens really does. Superman is not a legacy character. That's just code for "DC wants to hype this kid up and shove him down the collective's throats so get ready for it; this is the justification". The "future" Superman is the same guy. There is no replacement or heir outside of imaginary tales (well, I guess now that's not true anymore since they're replacing Superman right now). Didn't fly when they tried to force it with Kon-El and it won't fly with this kid. If creatively they're serious about the character then have him forge his own identity.
    Did you actually listen to the part concerning Jon? That's not the point he was making at all. DC has the idea of legacy at its core and there's no escaping that. The idea that a son of Superman will be carrying on the never ending battle is really old, canon or not. But he wasn't suggesting that Jon is intended to replace his father for the audience.

    And speaking of Kon, the super line has a very pronounced failure in the fact that the three characters had zero chemistry despite several shared stories. I think it's strange to see pushback to correcting that and enhancing it (the ultimate bond with Superboy, and Jurgens did also mention Kara and Lois) .

  12. #42
    Astonishing Member misslane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by etamogrey View Post
    I know this isn't the place but isn't Jon White(super sons) just a young Jon Lane Kent I mean "White"is just a cover up name and comicvine list JLK and JW as the same character so...
    Jon White's full, real name is Jonathan Samuel Kent. He is not Jon Lane Kent. Both are definitely sons of a version of Lois and Clark and both will have been Superboy (Jon Lane Kent was via time travel and cloning), but Jonathan Samuel Kent, whose undercover name was Jon White, is the son of the Lois and Clark from the pre-Flashpoint era who merged with the New 52 as a result of Convergence. Jon Lane Kent was from another timeline.

  13. #43
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,544

    Default

    The growing hate for Jon, here, is like the hate for Damian that started a while back. If you listen to the interview, he's not shafting Superman for Jon. He's giving Superman a son cause DC clearly has plans for stories in that regard. The point of having a child in the story is to see how they grow to influence that future. A half Kryptonian/Half Human? The stories one could tell basically write themselves.

    As for the other Supercast... New 52 Supes didn't have chemistry with them at all. Couldn't have a conversation with Kara without some form of hostility. If classic Superman can make the greater superfam work, more power to them. Again, we don't know what they're gonna do. The Trinity might be trickier but I guess that'll get to know one another in Super league but they might not even hit it off until that TRINITY book comes out in the fall.

  14. #44
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    4,461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I'm not sure why you see The New 52 Superman returning, instead of another Reboot (or whatever they want to call it for PR reasons) that will give us another new version of Superman. They're coming pretty quick these days. (Which makes it very difficult for me to get interested in each new iteration of the new DCU - I have no reason to believe they're going to follow through on it rather than just junk it. Again.)
    I think if whole DCu start sinking we will have another hard reboot and a new version. if only superman line fails, maybe they will hire better writers to get better sales. DC needs to commit to something on ebirth and seems like they already made their choices

  15. #45
    Ultimate Member Sacred Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,405

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Did you actually listen to the part concerning Jon? That's not the point he was making at all. DC has the idea of legacy at its core and there's no escaping that. The idea that a son of Superman will be carrying on the never ending battle is really old, canon or not. But he wasn't suggesting that Jon is intended to replace his father for the audience.

    And speaking of Kon, the super line has a very pronounced failure in the fact that the three characters had zero chemistry despite several shared stories. I think it's strange to see pushback to correcting that and enhancing it (the ultimate bond with Superboy, and Jurgens did also mention Kara and Lois) .
    I didn't find there to be any lack of chemistry with Kal and Kara. Indeed, I felt there was a lot of it they just chose to focus on the angst too much. Kon, well, that was part of his overall failing as a revamped character. Wasn't the character of Superman's fault.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-09-2016 at 10:07 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

    "Now why don't we step up here and everybody get stepped up, and let's get some stepped up personal space up in this place." - Phillip Jacobs

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •