Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GodofBoredom View Post
    Well, it's finally been cemented.

I'm done.

I'll be reading Wonder Woman and I sincerely hope the people in charge of the Superman line get fired and the line plummets.

For the rest, Marvel it is.
    Agreed but for the last sentence. I don't like the Marvel properties. Tried to when I was a kid but not for me. Sticking with WONDER WOMAN for her 75th anniversary. I hope the SUPER books crash and burn hard.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NYCER View Post
    Jon is not a "legacy character." At best he's an Elseworlds relic. Wally West and Tim Drake are bona fide legacy characters. This Jon creature? Not so much.
    Everyone knows i prefer kon over any other,but jon it seems wants to be a hero like his dad,and wear the S like,his dad,thats kinda the defintion of legacy.

We need kon rebooted,and let me be the one to do it.

The real Wally west back.

A YJ book with
    Kon
    Tim
    Cassie
    Bart
    Ms martian
    Aqaulad
    Artemis
    Blue beetle
    Static
    Damage (grant emerson)

Quote Originally Posted by Will J. View Post
    Sorry, vasir12, but the circumstances surrounding Jon are not even remotely comparable to those of Damian, and I loathe that character, though I have warmed to him slightly in recent years.

For starters, Dan Jurgens is in no way, shape or form Grant Morrison, who'd clearly earned the good will from the fans to justify the character's creation, which was aided by the popularity of Batman, something the Superman franchise does not have. So the possible implication that this will even come close to generating similar interest is flat out absurd.

Secondly, we've already had stories with a half-Kryptonian/half-human character in Kon-El.

DC can claim plans for this character all they want, but sales will dictate if they actually publish those plans in whatever form they're intended to take.
    Kon being the composite clone and Jon being a natural born son of Superman and Lois brings very different stories. Kon's is angst, Jon's is more about wonder. Different possible powers, different ramifications, different upbringing.

Also... I have no idea what you're talking about with the Morrison thing. I really don't. You're talking as if you need some royal pedigree to make a new character. If Jon is good and accessible, he'll stick. We don't know yet if he is, we'll have to see. But to claim you know if he has legs or not cause of some arbitrary reasoning is pretty silly. Superman may not sell as well as Batman, but he is as well known. People will hear that he has a son. Only time will tell, if that holds any weight. It all depends on the stories written, among other, more variable, things.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    It's hard to talk about a "legacy" character for Superman. There is only one Superman, and that is Kal-El (from whatever universe we talk about).
    Yup. "Legacy" stuff regarding Superman has always been relegated to the alternate or imaginary tale arena. He IS the legacy. Well, one thing does count, and that would be the Legion. He's their inspiration so that counts to me. But of course they're not part of Rebirth anyway.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-09-2016 at 08:36 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

@Supercrab: Let me just say thank you for that post. It was a very inciteful read and I do enjoy the posts were it's very clear the poster involved has put great thought into it. We'll have to agree to disagree though. N52 Superman simply drove me away from the character completely. I simply felt he'd lost those connections and that has been a common enough complaint with regard to a lot of the N52 characters.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-09-2016 at 08:59 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yup. "Legacy" stuff regarding Superman has always been relegated to the alternate or imaginary tale arena. He IS the legacy. Well, one thing does count, and that would be the Legion. He's their inspiration so that counts to me. But of course they're not part of Rebirth anyway.
    Superman doesn't have to go away for Jon to rise and make something of himself.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    And yet there are still more Super sons than Bat sons. I think if the idea can't stay inactive for at least 3 years, it's pretty bona fide. Continuity isn't a perfect excuse since logically, Jon couldn't have come about at any time before now.

Of course, this is ignoring the most obvious character in the Superman legacy, Kara. Taking up the responsibility in the event of his death is absolutely a part of DC legacy. She is his Wally.

Quote Originally Posted by 666MasterOfPuppets View Post
    Some hard questions, really, like why kill new52 Superman off. Also, if the interviewer asked about the PF Suoes fans who left after new52, it was only fair if he asked about the new52 fans who are leaving because of rebirth.
    Not a good question to ask him since he's not killing anyone, if the character does in fact die.

As far as people who are leaving before it even begins and other "hard" questions, you have to remember that he's not a candidate and no one was voting in the first place. "People are jumping ship" isn't something he has any control over so it's pointless to go about making him uncomfortable for it. On the other hand he already has the job and as a professional, he's not obligated to divulge anything. If your job or hobby is to interview people in entertainment, you're not going to get very far asking questions that people can't or won't answer because it's counter productive on both sides. If someone is a storyteller, why would they bother writing a story if they're just going to tell you? And if you have half an hour to get information out, why are you going to ask dead end questions?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I think when everyone thinks of the word "legacy" their collective minds go to Flash or Batman (maybe Wonder Woman). Those guys (and gal) have mantels that are bigger than them. Bruce is a man trying to become an immortal symbol. Flash at points is literally inspired by someone else named Flash, and Wonder Woman wins the right to be a champion.

Clark Kent just happens to have had the name "Superman" stick while he was out doing nice things for people. His story isn't that of a man becoming a symbol or a champion taking a title. It's just, when it REALLY comes down to it, the strange story of Clark Kent, the alien who grew up in Kansas. BUT that's not to say others haven't taken on his example and created a "legacy" from it. Kara was originally given her Supergirl suit by her parents in the hopes that she'd follow in her cousins footsteps. Steel (yes he counts) was inspired by Clark's example and willing to fill the hole he'd left after his death. Superboy (Kon-El) was illegitimately created to succeed Clark's perceived position.

In all of those cases the one thread is that it's always other people ascribing meaning and grander meaning and importance to Clark's good deeds. This is parties outside of Superman creating legacy for him. Clark has never taken on a sidekick or a student of any sort. So it's not one born out of him directly. Even Morrison's Superman Dynasty is (if we go by All Star Superman's ending) a third party ascribing gander meaning to Clark Kent's life. So much so in fact they've turned his life into an equation to mass produce him and perpetually keep us safe. But again, it's a third party.

What about Jon then? Well this is the one instance where "legacy" has it's most organic application in regards to superheroes. You see, the fact of the matter is Jon is Clark's son. No "buts" he's Clark's honest to goodness son. So when Jon wants to follow in Clark's foot steps it's a whole other conversation than if John Henry, Kon, or even Kara want to fight the good fight in Clark's name. This isn't a fully formed clone or a long lost teen cousin from space. It's the kid you've changed pampers for, and fed. Clark's gonna kiss him on the head every night before he goes to bed, and pat his head every morning. Clark isn't training a successor anymore than any parent in the world is. Because it's like in a sense they are and they aren't.

So, for me at least, this is "legacy" for Superman, but just not the Batman, Flash, or Wonder Woman kind. It's maybe closer to the Mr Fantastic way in that Richards is his "legacy" title like Kent is Jon's (yes his name is Kent. It's confirmed in Convergence when he's born)

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I think when everyone thinks of the word "legacy" their collective minds go to Flash or Batman (maybe Wonder Woman). Those guys (and gal) have mantels that are bigger than them. Bruce is a man trying to become an immortal symbol. Flash at points is literally inspired by someone else named Flash, and Wonder Woman wins the right to be a champion.

Clark Kent just happens to have had the name "Superman" stick while he was out doing nice things for people. His story isn't that of a man becoming a symbol or a champion taking a title. It's just, when it REALLY comes down to it, the strange story of Clark Kent, the alien who grew up in Kansas. BUT that's not to say others haven't taken on his example and created a "legacy" from it. Kara was originally given her Supergirl suit by her parents in the hopes that she'd follow in her cousins footsteps. Steel (yes he counts) was inspired by Clark's example and willing to fill the hole he'd left after his death. Superboy (Kon-El) was illegitimately created to succeed Clark's perceived position.

In all of those cases the one thread is that it's always other people ascribing meaning and grander meaning and importance to Clark's good deeds. This is parties outside of Superman creating legacy for him. Clark has never taken on a sidekick or a student of any sort. So it's not one born out of him directly. Even Morrison's Superman Dynasty is (if we go by All Star Superman's ending) a third party ascribing gander meaning to Clark Kent's life. So much so in fact they've turned his life into an equation to mass produce him and perpetually keep us safe. But again, it's a third party.

What about Jon then? Well this is the one instance where "legacy" has it's most organic application in regards to superheroes. You see, the fact of the matter is Jon is Clark's son. No "buts" he's Clark's honest to goodness son. So when Jon wants to follow in Clark's foot steps it's a whole other conversation than if John Henry, Kon, or even Kara want to fight the good fight in Clark's name. This isn't a fully formed clone or a long lost teen cousin from space. It's the kid you've changed pampers for, and fed. Clark's gonna kiss him on the head every night before he goes to bed, and pat his head every morning. Clark isn't training a successor anymore than any parent in the world is. Because it's like in a sense they are and they aren't.

So, for me at least, this is "legacy" for Superman, but just not the Batman, Flash, or Wonder Woman kind. It's maybe closer to the Mr Fantastic way in that Richards is his "legacy" title like Kent is Jon's (yes his name is Kent. It's confirmed in Convergence when he's born)
    This was very well written.

BANNED

I just hope the SUPERverse can expand and we can have these new characters,but also old ones like kon and linda around.this could be great or a train wreck.

Didnt they say in Convergence that superdads earth already replaced him with another superman? And wouldnt that mean superdad is a free agent,no place to go? So i wonder if that might be why DC is ok with a alternate superman taking over,when its clear he isnt from here.can you imagine all the new bios for superman giving his origin,then putting in the swerve that he isnt even from this universe.

I wonder if DC will just have pre lois and clark drop being lois and clark completely and be the SUPER family while there is a normal lois and clark there working at the daily planet

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Very nicely put. Hats off to you.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

God, this book could scarcely sound more uninteresting. We've literally got a dude steering the line talking about how Superman doing anything too epic or amazing makes it too silly. I wanna wanna wanna love this setup, because it's King S#it of F*ck Mountain beloved Superman married to Lois, and they have son who's Superboy, and the Multiverse is involved, all of which is exactly my jam. But the moment I heard the phrase "he's more than his powers" I knew there was no hope, because while that's an entirely true sentiment, it's also become an unwitting codephrase over the last few years for "expect him not to do anything especially cool or interesting, but I'm not competent enough for any solid character work either, so mostly I'm just going to have people talk about how great he is". God, Jurgens shouldn't frustrate me so much because he's in no way actively bad, merely aggressively mediocre, and apparently he's a nice guy. But he's also basically the symbol for everything that can go wrong for Superman as a character in terms of making him just plain boring as hell on every possible level, and they've given him the keys to the kingdom. It's no wonder Tomasi is writing the Rebirth special; Jurgens may be leading the line, but they at least nominally want to rope in new or returning readers, and Tomasi is the one who's any damn good.

And given he's going out of his way to make clear that this Superman will be the big leader (which buries New 52 Superman even further - fascinatingly, this is basically the Infinite Crisis story of the old version of Superman coming back and not really seeing the new world as up to snuff, except here he's symbolically being treated as right, at least by Jurgens. Which makes him a sensible Superman for a DC built on returning to the 'good old days'), that kills most of the stuff Superlad thought they could do with it in the cradle outside of maybe Trinity, unless different books take different philosophies, which seems unlikely given that Jurgens emphasized interconnectedness. I really can't believe they're taking a premise as gonzo as, essentially, Power Girl replacing Supergirl, making that same basic principle apply to the main character of the entire publishing line, and then going out of their way to make clear that they're going to do nothing interesting whatsoever with it. But then, that's how it's been going for Lois & Clark too.
    Last edited by Dispenser Of Truth; 04-09-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Buh-bye

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Kon being the composite clone and Jon being a natural born son of Superman and Lois brings very different stories. Kon's is angst, Jon's is more about wonder. Different possible powers, different ramifications, different upbringing.

Also... I have no idea what you're talking about with the Morrison thing. I really don't. You're talking as if you need some royal pedigree to make a new character. If Jon is good and accessible, he'll stick. We don't know yet if he is, we'll have to see. But to claim you know if he has legs or not cause of some arbitrary reasoning is pretty silly. Superman may not sell as well as Batman, but he is as well known. People will hear that he has a son. Only time will tell, if that holds any weight. It all depends on the stories written, among other, more variable, things.
    Fair point regarding the story telling possibilities, even if I don't see anything but superficial differences.

As far as the Morrison comparison, I was merely pointing out the differing circumstances since you made the comparison to Damian. Nothing more than that. You inferred I was suggesting some sort of royal pedigree to create a new character when I was actually pointing out the factors that led to Damian's eventual acceptance and popularity may not in fact repeat themselves for Jon, though I probably should have phrased it as such. So that's on me.

But like you said, we'll see if he sticks.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Of course, some readers think that Superman getting married is a natural and organic development in the life of the character. And that there are good stories to tell about an older, more experienced, and married Superman. And that they would prefer to see the character continue on in his life, rather than TPTB hitting the reset button so that suddenly Superman is younger, less experienced, and doesn't have any of the history he acquired over the years.

Of course, if you want to,you can dismiss their opinions by saying "some fanboys want to think their character is cool." But that doesn't seem to have much to do with what people are actually thinking.
    That clearly falls under story driven relationships that I was referring to and one which I have no problem.

BANNED

Are people seriously thinking that Jon is going to replace Superman? wtf. Oh and Grant used a Chris/Damian Super Sons team up in Multiversity,if Jon was created a few years back Grant would have used him,Secundus also featured in a Damian team up.