Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Default Things You Like About The Fandom

Because, we need a counterbalance and because I love some of you so much.

I love that, no matter how deep into comics I am, there's always something new and worth it that someone can recommend to me. There's always fans who remember or know stuff that I don't. It has to be a truly esoteric question not to get an answer from the broader comics community pretty fast.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Invincible Member

I like that there's lots of people who are willing to recommend things they like to new readers without being snobby about it.

I like that there's fans who are able to analyze comics they like or dislike on a critical or social level beyond just "power levels"

I like that there's folks who are into comics beyond the big two

I like that there's folks who are only into tights and fights but are able to talk about the stories and heroes smartly

I like that there's folks out there who are fans of the medium that I can learn things from

Now THIS is a thread I can get behind, kudos T Hedge Coke!

Things Kieran Likes:
    - talking to fans of a certain comic or character (none of my friends read comics, so I have no-one to get excited with)
    - our LGBT threads; such a great source of support and passion on CBR
    - fan-gasams whenever a writer or artist mentions something they asked or mentioned
    - the PASSION of fans when Gillen's Young Avengers came out, every issue was a joy of squeals, code-breaking and musical symbiosis
    - the few fans, brave enough and dedicated enough to take their passion and pursue it with their own work; I admire them all
    - being able to learn and discover wonderful things about characters we love
    - passionately debating (without ever getting rude) what they liked or didn't like about how a character was portrayed or used (healthy debate is a good thing)
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I love that, compared to other mediums, as a fan, you have incredible access to all levels of pros. They may not want to talk with you, but it's much easier to meet or contact comics pros and you're more likely to get a response.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

1) Nothing

2) No one

3) Forums

You can always have a good conversation with others about comics. I meet up with three friends of mine every few months and I think we basically talk about comics solidly for a few hours. That's always really fun.
    Last edited by adameastment; 04-09-2016 at 06:03 PM.
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

i like everything or at the least dont have anything i object to

BANNED

I thought I remembered posting in a similar thread here, from what I remember mine included cosplayers-who I respect because not only would I be too embarrassed but I recognize I just don't have that level of fandom and I envy it. Fan-fic/artist types- again lack the stuff and don't have the ambition. And of course many of the things stated above, mostly recommendations from those with similar tastes that allow me to experience comics I might not have gotten to if I hadn't gotten word.

I like talking to people who have knowledge of things I don't

I like that I can speak with the writers some times

I like introducing and being introduced to new things

BANNED

Two things:

1. Peoples' willingness to give. People will always fill you in or answer your questions regarding a plot point or a characters background.
    2. The depth of the conversations (especially on the X-Men forums). There's a great deal of analytical thought that goes into the opinions and views.

In general while I am sure that none of us are model material, we're polar opposite from the comic book guy on the Simpsons.

"The fandom"? I'm guessing it can vary.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

1. Getting and giving recommendations
    2. Seeing fans get genuinely excited for new books from their favorite writers/artists/publishers/etc
    3. learning something about comic book history you didn't previously know.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Things I like about the fandom?

The fan art and the fan fiction. I like seeing difference designs and story ideas from fans. For example, I came across a writer who did his own version of Civil War that took place before Justice League Unlimited. Wish I can say more, but the fandom totally killed my love and passion for comics.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Never really been a big fandom person TBH.

I do like how some fans write about comics and explore the themes they encounter in various works.

I like looking at fan art from time to time.

I like being able to talk to friends and family about comics.

I like the recommendations I've gotten over the years from strangers online. There are a lot of comics that I would never have known about were it not for forums I posted on.

I like seeing fans discuss comics on Tumblr. You see some pretty interesting things there that you don't see on other forums. They also seem to be more chill and not so obsessed with tradition.

Thinking specifically of Chicks Dig Comics, Beautiful Fighting Girl, Comics and Language and An Incomprehensible Condition: Reading something considered and revelatory and getting that feeling that you're not enjoying these comics alone. That people are seriously and fully engaging in very similar ways.

The same with reading side by side with someone. I honestly love reading a comic with someone, same copy or with our own, but sitting in the same room. Or, read-alongs. I love that stuff.