Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyboydalton21 View Post

It's so boring!!! No one wants to just see WW beat up Nazis, where's the threat?!! Plus it continues the belief that these are outdated, unrelatable characters, which especially hurts characters like Superman and Wonder Woman, who are many times treated like soulless paragons instead of characters.

It was dumb when Byrne tried to force WW into a legacy character with the JSA, and it's still dumb!!!

Actually, I love seeing Wonder Woman beat up Nazis but more precisely, Nazi super-villains such as Paula Von Gunther, Baron Blitzkrieg, Armegeddon, Red Panzer, Gudra the Valkyrie, and Zyklon. Plus if you rope in the other Axis villains such as Dr. Poison, Kung, and Sumo the Samurai, that's even better. I don't see the problem with someone with immortality/longevity such as Diana fighting in World War II. Plus - she was a member of the Justice Society and I'd like to see that reinstated.
    Last edited by Dr. Poison; 04-10-2016 at 09:11 AM.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Ultimate Member

-WWII is overplayed in fiction as it is (and they'd be accused of aping the first Cap movie to boot). WWI is no less interesting and important, but gets far less attention.

-Superhero period piece films are pretty rare, so it immediately makes the film stand out more.

-A character who is all about truth and compassion having to confront one of the most infamously pointless conflicts of all time, without losing her core values/goodness, could be really compelling if done well.

-It makes total sense if Ares is the main threat.

-Etc.

It's a really good idea imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    -WWII is overplayed in fiction as it is (and they'd be accused of aping the first Cap movie to boot). WWI is no less interesting and important, but gets far less attention.

-Superhero period piece films are pretty rare, so it immediately makes the film stand out more.

-A character who is all about truth and compassion having to confront one of the most infamously pointless conflicts of all time, without losing her core values/goodness, could be really compelling if done well.

-It makes total sense if Ares is the main threat.

-Etc.

It's a really good idea imo.
    I've warmed up to the use of WWI in the movies bcause it shows that WW has been around for a century lurking in the shadows. It makes sense from that point of view. WWII is the Street Fghter II of wars in the way it eclipses the first one by far.

Mighty Member

eh, some people hate history and find historical movies boring. I'm definitely not one of those people. given that I own hundreds of books on WW1 and have been reading about it for over 20 years I'm pretty excited about this.

I think it says more about the thread-starter than it does about the movie in development.

heck, I find sports movies to be tedious and dull on general principle. "why watch a movie about sports when I can just watch the ACTUAL SPORT?" then again, I don't really care for sports, LOL!

Spectacular Member

The huge fat@$$€d elephant in the room caused by WW's appearance in bvs not being her first, but rather her return, is that "where the frick was she when Zod showed up?"

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thor2014 View Post
    I've warmed up to the use of WWI in the movies bcause it shows that WW has been around for a century lurking in the shadows. It makes sense from that point of view. WWII is the Street Fghter II of wars in the way it eclipses the first one by far.

Lol I have never heard that comparison in my life.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

The huge fat@$$€d elephant in the room caused by WW's appearance in bvs not being her first, but rather her return, is that "where the frick was she when Zod showed up?"

Letting Superman handle things.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Why does this argument rear its head whenever there is a big threat faced by only one hero? Where was SM when First Born attacked London during Azzarellos run? Where was every other member of the JL during events of MoS? They were in Hollywood limbo because the producers hadn't contracted to make multiple films including the wider DCU. Turns out BM was busy being totally useless when Zod attacked, Aquaman was probably busy ruling Atlantis, I'm betting Diana was on Paradise Island and likely ended up heading back to mans world due in part to the events of the invasion.

Ultimate Member

The entire length of time from when Zod first arrives on Earth, and his death, is like two days at most (if that). And his actual attack (which was a surprise to everyone but Superman, Lois, and the immediate military people around them BTW) lasted like an hour or two at most. Simple, she wasn't anywhere near Metropolis at the time, didn't kno that it was coming, and thus couldn't get there in time.

Or she was busy dealing with her own problems at the time.

Or any number of other things.

Point is, not that big a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by icantstandthisindecision View Post
    In regards to the Legend of Wonder Woman, I know one of the writers himself circulates the board from time to time - if he sees this and I'm wrong, he can feel free to correct me, but.

Legend of WW is supposed to be a love story to Wonder Woman and to Marston and to her origin, isn't it? She was created for much the same reason that Captain America was, in part to propagandize the war and to show that the nazis were bad and all that and that isn't a bad thing. As a narrative device, it's actually something that's entirely intriguing to see them to approach as something in retrospect; I don't know why the DCEU is tying her origin to WWI, because that seems entirely random, but just as people like the JSA to be tied to WW2, they like Wonder Woman to have those connections as well. And I'm enjoying it Legend of WW, at the very least.

For Renae De Liz (my wife and Writer/Penciller of LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN; I do inks/colors/letters/logo) she planned back in 2012 when we first pitched this to give Wonder Woman her own special time period rather than having her start in modern day or, say 5,000 years ago. Something relatable. And yes as a tribute to what Marston did and the era that she was originally created. So for us, it's just as if in history, that's when she rose to become WW, and if you read it, the war ties in to everything going on with Themyscira and the darkness invading it. All related. WW2 just felt like the right time period for WW.

As for the movie... I have no idea why they put it in WW1.

Been seeing a lot of similarities that are just slightly different in the previews of the movie...

Young-Diana-Wonder-Woman-In-the-Movie-Legend-of-Comic-Art.jpg
    Last edited by RAY DILLON; 04-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

1. It ties back to the characters origin.
    2. It makes her congruent with the woman's lib movement. Which the character embodies.
    3. WW has a lot of characters in her mythos that make a lot more sense in that context then they do being created in modern wars.

WonderWoman has less of a connection to the era then Cap but it's still there. And Cap becomes a completely different character if he's a product of Vietnam or the gulf wars. Completely different personality and world view. If you want a character that's a result of Vietnam and it's aftermath look at the punisher.

Astonishing Member

Well, Superman and Batman have been constantly reinvented since the Golden Age and the 'timeless' and 'contemporary' versions of them have emerged as the iconic images of those characters. Wonder Woman has had her reboots too, but the character simply hasn't had the same level of pop-cultural iconicity for the most part. The idea of her being associated with WW2 has stuck however, so it makes sense to emphasize that element.

Moreover, it does seem a bit silly to have an immortal Amazon protagonist and have her be the exact same age as the other relatively more 'mortal' heroes! Even Superman, while in many versions, is immortal, he is dependent on a supporting cast which is very much mortal and there is a huge part of his mythos which is tied to the idea of him having a normal human life as Clark Kent. With WW though, her supporting cast for the most part hasn't mattered as much and the idea of her leading a 'human' life isn't one which is explored at all lately, so embracing the full scope of what is afforded by her immortal nature makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Well, Superman and Batman have been constantly reinvented since the Golden Age and the 'timeless' and 'contemporary' versions of them have emerged as the iconic images of those characters. Wonder Woman has had her reboots too, but the character simply hasn't had the same level of pop-cultural iconicity for the most part. The idea of her being associated with WW2 has stuck however, so it makes sense to emphasize that element.

Moreover, it does seem a bit silly to have an immortal Amazon protagonist and have her be the exact same age as the other relatively more 'mortal' heroes! Even Superman, while in many versions, is immortal, he is dependent on a supporting cast which is very much mortal and there is a huge part of his mythos which is tied to the idea of him having a normal human life as Clark Kent. With WW though, her supporting cast for the most part hasn't mattered as much and the idea of her leading a 'human' life isn't one which is explored at all lately, so embracing the full scope of what is afforded by her immortal nature makes perfect sense.
    She's never really stated to be the same age as Bruce or Clark most of the time. She doesn't have experiences in Man's World like they do, but the implication was that she was still older than them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    do we really want to set this idea that Wonder Woman is the first DC Superhero and has been moving around since WW1 in the cinematic universe? seems to take the hype out of superman
    We don't know how active she's been since WW1. Besides they already took whatever superman hype they had by making it all about batman (again). I'm interested in this because not many films have WW1 as a plot point.

Spectacular Member

Did Superman really have hype? I mean, I love the big blue and all, but when I saw people getting hyped for MoS and DoJ, it was for reasons other than Supes (Nolan in the credits, Batman, Wonder Woman, JL cameos, etc...).