Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Oh no, nobody claims they know that stuff.

And I'm going to say goodbye to you now.
    You always say that people are saying these things but when someone asks you about it you just change the topic of conversation.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Can't hear you, Byrd.

BANNED

Some old geezers on the message boards are still throwing fits because the New 52 took away their expertise in DC lore by wiping most of it out. But I promise you that DC doesn't care about that. What they care about is that movie tanking. And the Green Lantern movie tanking.

Astonishing Member

Dan Didio himself has said that the Rebirth initiative is about course correcting and winning back readers they've lost. The New 52 was a big sales success for a while, but as things currently stand, they're trailing behind Marvel - and have been for some time.

I think it's understandable there's a certain degree of scepticism towards the idea of a huge course correction being carried out by the same EIC (Bob Harras) and Publishers (Dan Didio and Jim Lee) as before. For the most part, Geoff Johns has been the "face" of DC Rebirth, which is a pretty smart move - his books do well both critically and commercially, he's their golden boy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Dan Didio himself has said that the Rebirth initiative is about course correcting and winning back readers they've lost. The New 52 was a big sales success for a while, but as things currently stand, they're trailing behind Marvel - and have been for some time.

I think it's understandable there's a certain degree of scepticism towards the idea of a huge course correction being carried out by the same EIC (Bob Harras) and Publishers (Dan Didio and Jim Lee) as before. For the most part, Geoff Johns has been the "face" of DC Rebirth, which is a pretty smart move - his books do well both critically and commercially, he's their golden boy.
    the rebooth is lee/didio idea, and they got burned hard with the readers because of new 52 failure.
    Johns got less burned on new 52, he did good things like darkseid war and aquaman, so he is fixing things and has a good rep with fans because he fixed many things on the past

the problem is that didio and co messed DC a lot on the last decade, this is not the first course correct they did and i don't think it will be the last on short term

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tayswift View Post
    the rebooth is lee/didio idea, and they got burned hard with the readers because of new 52 failure.
    Johns got less burned on new 52, he did good things like darkseid war and aquaman, so he is fixing things and has a good rep with fans because he fixed many things on the past

the problem is that didio and co messed DC a lot on the last decade, this is not the first course correct they did and i don't think it will be the last on short term
    Some of you do realize that DC has been the #2 company since Stan Lee had Peter Parker talk like a "real teenager", right? If you think the N52, where DC actually beat Marvel some months, was a failure you have no idea about the history of the company

Because I'm a Superman fan. And after actually managing to exceed the fears of the nightmare scenarios for things to do for Superman with Rebirth, they've proven they have absolutely no clue about him nor will they get a clue in the near future so I'm done giving them chances. A regime can get away with being clueless about 2nd or 3rd tier characters. Its always annoying but its forgiveable. You can't be clueless about the character that freaking made your company.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Well, comic book companies have positions called editors. These editors proofread material to ensure the highest quality for the reader. So, if a single issue has problems. It could be the fault of many factors.. But, when all of the comics have the same problems. Its company wide. And who gives the green light on the finished product at the company? That's right! The editors. And when these glaring inconsistencies are pointed out by the fan base and ignored for 5 years. That makes some fan boys very angry. And they want a regime change.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Some of you do realize that DC has been the #2 company since Stan Lee had Peter Parker talk like a "real teenager", right?
    Not quite. The Superman line was a force to be reckoned with even as late as 1969. http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomic...960s/1969.html

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because I'm a Superman fan. And after actually managing to exceed the fears of the nightmare scenarios for things to do for Superman with Rebirth, they've proven they have absolutely no clue about him nor will they get a clue in the near future so I'm done giving them chances. A regime can get away with being clueless about 2nd or 3rd tier characters. Its always annoying but its forgiveable. You can't be clueless about the character that freaking made your company.

I would say they have quite a clear picture on what they plan to do with Superman in Rebirth, which is far different then not having a clue. But I do agree he still doesn't quite get the same amount of respect from DC as the almighty Batman does.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Fans are fed up with PET characters getting pushes over establish ones like Shazam.
    I am not sure what a PET character is in this context,but this fan will almost always champion a new character over some silver or golden age relic.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    I would say they have quite a clear picture on what they plan to do with Superman in Rebirth, which is far different then not having a clue. But I do agree he still doesn't quite get the same amount of respect from DC as the almighty Batman does.
    It sure doesn't appear that way with what they're doing. Because what they're doing is convoluted as hell. Its a plan, but its a plan based on panic, a plan based on a complete ignorance of concepts at your disposal (the multiverse), and a plan that, considering their reputation, will be going through changes before the first issue even hits the stands.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-10-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    It sure doesn't appear that way with what they're doing. Because what they're doing is convoluted as hell.
    Eh, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anywho, on the topic of Regime change, while I wouldn't shed a tear if Didio was kicked to the curb, there's no guarantee whomever replaced him wouldn't be worse. Regime changes are always risky, Sure you could get someone 10x better then Didio ever was, but you could also get someone twice as bad.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

From Wikipedia...

In 1978, Schlosser was promoted to executive vice president at RCA, and a desperate NBC lured Fred Silverman away from top-rated ABC to turn its fortunes around. With the notable exceptions of Diff'rent Strokes and its spin-off The Facts of Life, Real People and the miniseries Shōgun, Silverman was unable to pull out a hit. Failures accumulated rapidly under his watch (such as Hello, Larry, Supertrain, Pink Lady and Jeff, The Krofft Superstar Hour and The Waverly Wonders). Ironically, many of them were beaten in the ratings by shows that Silverman had greenlit during his previous tenures at CBS and ABC.

During this time, several longtime affiliates also defected from NBC.

The press was merciless towards Silverman, but the two most savage attacks on his leadership came from within the network. The company that composed the promotional theme for NBC's "Proud as a Peacock" image campaign created a parody song called "Loud as a Peacock", which was broadcast on Don Imus' program on WNBC radio in New York. An angered Silverman ordered all remaining copies of the spoof destroyed, although some copies remain in circulation.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 04-10-2016 at 05:46 PM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Anywho, on the topic of Regime change, while I wouldn't shed a tear if Didio was kicked to the curb, there's no guarantee whomever replaced him wouldn't be worse. Regime changes are always risky, Sure you could get someone 10x better then Didio ever was, but you could also get someone twice as bad.
    Yep. Even with Didio gone, his successor could be a squeamish PC nut, or a chauvinistic meathead with a 90s obsession, or a corporate puppet who views comics as nothing but potential for merchandising/adaptations. I'm no Didio fan, but my main issue with him is a lack of good ideas and enthusiasm. There's definitely worse out there.