Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

It would be nice to explore more his relationship with Mags or that version of Mags. I also liked when he was first introduced he felt discomfort with his digestive system consuming things.

Maggott was great. He was a black male character with a flirty personality. Too many black men are given the "straight man" personality because writers don't know what else to do with them. Maggott was the opposite of that, and he had a great look and power set. I get why people treat him as a joke, but I feel like making fun of him when you could be using him to spice up the books is unnecessary. I mean he's better than Fantomex.

All I know of Maggott was from Tieri's Weapon X. His story was a very sad one.

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I know Marvel reads the boards.

I have been for a while but my anger flared up when I saw Goldballs in Spider-Man. Like, stop trying to convince me he's cool.

Do you know how many characters you could call trash if you just look at the packaging? Glob Herman? Shark Girl?

Maggott was my favorite character when I got into comics and he gets numerous cameos. But writers take every opportunity to shit on him in CBR interviews.

Like, damn. He was one of the only black xmen who was African but could speak with contractions and not sound like a total robot. Dude had an actual personality. Bring him back.
    everything about this screams Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    It is laughable when they keep pushing:
    -The 05
    -Deadpool
    -FantocheX
    -X23
    -"Dark" anything, especially Dark Angel
    Ugh Yes, I am so sick of these ultra white characters with their copy and paste powers getting more page time and more "development" than black characters with interesting powers and personality

I agreed 200% with the poster talking about the "straight man" personality of black characters like damn why can't they actually have differing opinions/outlooks...YOu had Tag.....but oh he died....and Sunspot but....yeah hes not black anymore.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    It really is a tragedy that many awful, awful characters who are way worse than Maggott (Eye-boy, Glob Herman, Goldballs, etc.) get used while Maggott has to be the butt of every joke. Also, I feel like x-books have become more about strange and bizarre freak characters (like the aforementioned ones) whose only purpose is to be a sight gag while the actual characters with more than 1-dimensional personalities and actual potential as characters are left in the limbo. I don't know why that is but that's just how it seems to be.

And I'm not even opposed to utilizing funny and ridiculous characters, heck, I would probably be first to defend them IF they weren't so numerous, didn't appear so often and didn't take as much space as they do these days! I mean there are tons of cool characters (New Mutants, Generation X, NXM kids AND over half of the actual X-Men/X-Force/X-Factor characters!) being left in limbo while writers use walking jokes like Glob Herman and friends!

But if they want to use them then fine, they can do that. It just gives me one more reason to not buy their books ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well no character besides Fantomex of course. He's completely without any worth. But other than that I agree with this sentiment whole heartedly.
    Not saying this is the case, but maybe they are trying to show that getting a useful / cool power is the exception not the norm? That a greater percentage is oddball or weird powers.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Not saying this is the case, but maybe they are trying to show that getting a useful / cool power is the exception not the norm? That a greater percentage is oddball or weird powers.
    Thatd be true if Glob or Eye boy or shark girl actually got some development sans their goofy appearance

I'm sorry, but I don't like any of those freaky characters. The worst one, or the one I usually think of as the worst, is Eye-Boy. He's got to be the worst X-man ever (he should be in that book)...

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Um Maggott is the new Dazzler. He is actually v. Cool. Was waaaaay ahead of his time fashion wise (seriously, john lemon shades, cowboy boots, pastel jeans, and a trenchcoat?? You betta work you malnourished south African) and he was gloriously pansexual (he def hit on Storm, Cannonball, and whatever Marrow identifies as) I actually like him being a cameo king lounging around in whatever digs the X-men call home. Here's hoping he accidentally saves their bacon one day.

It's a character with interesting potential given a truly poor name as a character. Same thing with other such names. Glob, Snot, Goldballs, Eyeboy. Those names really don't generate interest. To be honest more often more ridicule than anything else. Marvel tried their damn best to try and push Goldballs. All many fans could see is his name rather than the character. I wish the writers would actually brainstorm more as opposed to putting on paper the first name that comes to their mind. It's like if I created a character whose powers worked around wood and called him the Carpenter. See how silly that is.
    Jean loves me this I know because the church says it so.

Havok and Emma were right.

So, after the years of disuse, the years of slander, the years of being regularly toted as the worst X-Man, how does a writer (even though I'm sure editorial would never stand by and let him be utilised as anything more than a punchline) re-introduce Maggott?

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

They should have pushed him as a mutant with insectoid senses. His eyeballs should be able to fly out of their sockets like dragonflies. His earlobes should be like eartworms. He should be able to unleash his taste buds like gnats.
    All of the ways he experiences the world from a sensory pov should manifest as an insect without him actually looking like an insect.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    So, after the years of disuse, the years of slander, the years of being regularly toted as the worst X-Man, how does a writer (even though I'm sure editorial would never stand by and let him be utilised as anything more than a punchline) re-introduce Maggott?
    Well, we can start with his bugs, we don't know if they evolve into something bigger? But with the name as Maggott, who say's they can't. Lets see the last time we saw him he died at the Weapon X camp. Then slowly he appeared as background character, so lets work with what we know. Eany and Meany feed Maggott whatever he eats by going back inside him. But what if he is dead or wounded, what will the Bugs do? What if Eany and Meany make a cocoon around him to heal his wound or revive him.
    The dream is dead, so wake up and fight!

BANNED

Back then in the late 1990s in 1995 or 1996 I think thats when Maggot came around in the X Men comics. I actually liked him because of his maggot pet things. I still remember his maggot pets going after Wolverine for no reason lol and Wolverine had two big holes in his body or whatever.

I still need to catch up on some old X Men issues that involve Maggot's backstory with Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
    I know Marvel reads the boards.

I have been for a while but my anger flared up when I saw Goldballs in Spider-Man. Like, stop trying to convince me he's cool.

Do you know how many characters you could call trash if you just look at the packaging? Glob Herman? Shark Girl?

Maggott was my favorite character when I got into comics and he gets numerous cameos. But writers take every opportunity to shit on him in CBR interviews.

Like, damn. He was one of the only black xmen who was African but could speak with contractions and not sound like a total robot. Dude had an actual personality. Bring him back.
    I'm going to make a thread talking about how much trashing a character upsets me... by trashing OTHER characters I don't like.

Do you not see the irony?
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."