Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920

Quote Originally Posted by robreedwrites View Post
    Just goes to show we have different senses of humor. I think the second one is the funniest one.
    It's definitely dark humor, and almost all from the Joker. But still hilarious.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by AcesX1X View Post
    yes, we know. perhaps it isn't the film that has the problem, but some parts of the comic book corner of the audience with their incredibly unrealistic expectations. money was certainly left on the table. i hope they can make it back in other ways!
    I'm sorry my expectations that it be a good movie was unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Foolery View Post
    It's not that BvS got knocked from first place, but rather the The Boss did it with such a meager showing. $23M is NOT a braggable amount for opening weekend.
    But its a Melissa McCarthy movie and she's a big draw now days. So i'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    That's actually quite a lot for a comedy.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmeyers View Post
    It's her second lowest opening. So we could say it is not her most successful outing.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    It's her second lowest opening. So we could say it is not her most successful outing.
    Sure, but comedies never make much at the box office in general is the point I was trying to make.

Incredible Member

Sure, but comedies never make much at the box office in general is the point I was trying to make.
    Oh, sorry.
    Comparatively her comedies have seen better opening weekends so on that basis it wasn't a lot. Excepting Tammy (her lowest w/21mm) and This is 40 (not as widely released) Her opening have been upper 20mm to even 40mm.
    But you are right most comedies settle around 100mm on average (domestic, of course). Which The Boss is right on line with making due to this opening number.
    It's funny that the majority of movies are either far above or below the "average" and very few actually hit that median. So even though a comedy makes x on average very few make that much with the exceptions going wildly over skewing the median line.

P.S. With an "average" 53.8% drop-off BvS Monday totals were 1.474mm which means it will crawl over 800mm sometime this coming weekend optimistically.
    Last edited by Charlie Rock; 04-12-2016 at 05:52 PM.

Oh, sorry.
    Comparatively her comedies have seen better opening weekends so on that basis it wasn't a lot. Excepting Tammy (her lowest w/21mm) and This is 40 (not as widely released) Her opening have been upper 20mm to even 40mm.
    But you are right most comedies settle around 100mm on average (domestic, of course). Which The Boss is right on line with making due to this opening number.
    It's funny that the majority of movies are either far above or below the "average" and very few actually hit that median. So even though a comedy makes x on average very few make that much with the exceptions going wildly over skewing the median line.

P.S. With an "average" 53.8% drop-off BvS Monday totals were 1.474mm which means it will crawl over 800mm sometime this coming weekend optimistically.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Do you agree with Frontino that the only way to do serious is without ANY humor whatsoever? Because really good movies mix a bit of character humor (not jokes) with the serious stuff. Its called relieving the tension. You have to relieve the tension every once in a while before you build it up again. Hence the statement "That move was a roller coaster ride".
    No, i dont agree with Frostino, i was just saying that thinking that a funny DC movie would bomb is like saying that a serious Marvel movie would bomb.

And was Catwoman in name only. It wasn't even Selena Kyle.

Green Lantern suffered a similar problem. The best parts of that movie were the GL Corps and Oa which took place off planet Earth and was also just a pretty lackluster movie other than those parts.

I really don't get why DC can't make a good live action movie, their animated stuff is used to be great. Copy that formula. The nu 52 animated movies seem to be following the same grim-dark formula that the recent live action movies are which is also mind boggling to me.
    Well, the New 52 is that dark, they killed the Hope/Blue Lantern corps, and then there is Future's end.

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    So, a subpar performing movie, in a genre known for not having big opening numbers to begin with, in a slow schedule period, managed to beat BvS. Again, $23M is a rinkydink amount to win a weekend with. Only one week this year was lower, and I'd wager last year there probably only a half dozen weeks where a number that low won the weekend. A tentpole film like BvS should've beat The Boss had it not been dropping like a WWI fighter plane in a tailspin.
    "You can talk your way out of almost anything." - Fortune Cookie Proverb

T. Foolery's unwieldy, yet not entirely unimpressive, collection of funny books.