Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    It honestly does not matter when a movie makes money. What matters is it makes money. Do you actually think the people who make transformers care how frontloaded it is?
    Transformers is an exception to the rule. People who make other movies care because it build their brand. Having legs proves good word of mouth which helps home video sales and the next movie in the franchise. A survey of movie goers to BvS opening weekend said 62% went for Batman. That was because the DKT build the Batman brand back up. So yes legs matter a lot.

Extraordinary Member

Marketing...if you factor that in basically every movie is a failure. Studios dont go by that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tighelander View Post
    I'm sure that Age of Ultron was was a disappointment to Disney; it didn't deliver close enough to what the first movie did. Yawn of Justice isn't even in the ballpark of AoU, and WB still hasn't had an Avengers level success from DC yet.

I love talking about movie performance! It's like sports for geeks!
    Right. There's no shame in admitting Age of Ultron was a disappointment. Civil War is expected to pull in money and it's a good comparison to Batman V Superman. If Civil War falls short of expectations then we'll never hear the end of it. It would be a dangerous indication of a decline in interest in the MCU. If people don't come out to see what amounts to the Avengers and Spider-Man in the same movie, that's a very bad sign.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    Transformers is an exception to the rule. People who make other movies care because it build their brand. Having legs proves good word of mouth which helps home video sales and the next movie in the franchise. A survey of movie goers to BvS opening weekend said 62% went for Batman. That was because the DKT build the Batman brand back up. So yes leg matter a lot.
    So if a movie does about 800 mil in roughly 3 weeks it doesn't have legs? Lol

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Rock View Post
    It's not going to make 800mm in two days time. Last Monday it made 3mm domestically dropping over 70%. Even if it drops only 50% that makes it 1.5mm domestically with maybe another 2-3 internat'l.

I'm just nitpicking a bit because when it comes to numbers I like to be exact. If someone says "a lot" I don't care. A lot is different to whomever says it. But >800mm is the same to everyone and this movie is not over 800mm. And with the legs it has it will take all week or even till Friday to get there.

As a comic book fan and a nerd I used to think that comic book readers were some of the most forward thinking people. And when 'mainstream' tried to make comics to take advantage of us and line their pockets with nerd money we had no problem telling them they sucked. But now there are so many comic book people lining up to defend Hollywood, the place that made fun of comic book readers through their geeky portrayals through the ages for so long it became THE stereotype. Just because they were 'nice' enough to put our favorite characters on screen? They want our money, plain and simple. And we should demand, nay expect, better before we fund their next botox treatment.
    Maybe but heres the thing ppl defending the movie liked it maybe thought it was great. Not just because batman/ supes was in it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    It's being held to the standard that they chose. Warner's wants the DCCU to be competition for the MCU. So if Warner's has DCs top three characters to play with and cannot EASILY break a billion, and stay atop the box-office for more than two weekends, when a movie NOBODY would call a blockbuster beats it at the box-office... there is something wrong with their movie making process. BvS, made well, should have already cracked a billion globally, and should be able to stay on top of the box-office even against The Jungle Book.

The problem seems to be that Warner's believed that and didn't try hard enough to make a good film, and instead made what I have always said feels like a bloated film that is trying to do too much in one movie. It's just a bad movie.
    From what I read WB was looking at 800 mil and up and the movie is approaching that. I cant think of many movies that cracked a billion in 3 weeks. Or even 800 mil tbh.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    From what I read WB was looking at 800 mil and up and the movie is approaching that. I cant think of many movies that cracked a billion in 3 weeks. Or even 800 mil tbh.
    Two points. If WB stated 800 million as their target, they were intentionally lowballing. I mean when a no-name property like Guardians of the Galaxy gets more than $700 million, they had to have expected much more for the first cinematic meeting of two of pop culture's biggest icons, in addition to Wonder Woman. Both Avengers films made more than a billion. Iron Man 3 made more than a billion. The last two Batman films made more than a billion. There's no way they honestly targeted $800 million with the budget this film has.

As for movies cracking a 800 billion in 3 weeks, keep in mind that this movie had a HUGE rollout in pretty much every major territory it could have. It also had 3D and IMAX. That's partially why this movie can't have legs. There are no new territories for them to open up into.

Well, it had a drop larger than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post
    Two points. If WB stated 800 million as their target, they were intentionally lowballing. I mean when a no-name property like Guardians of the Galaxy gets more than $700 million, they had to have expected much more for the first cinematic meeting of two of pop culture's biggest icons, in addition to Wonder Woman. Both Avengers films made more than a billion. Iron Man 3 made more than a billion. The last two Batman films made more than a billion. There's no way they honestly targeted $800 million with the budget this film has.

As for movies cracking a 800 billion in 3 weeks, keep in mind that this movie had a HUGE rollout in pretty much every major territory it could have. It also had 3D and IMAX. That's partially why this movie can't have legs. There are no new territories for them to open up into.
    Well, if that's what happened, then it means that DC was quite aware of what kind of movie they were doing.
    Last edited by dragonmp93; 04-10-2016 at 04:42 PM.

Amazing Member

Maybe but heres the thing ppl defending the movie liked it maybe thought it was great. Not just because batman/ supes was in it.
    exactly. I loved the movie because it was a good movie.

also a lot of fans like it. not just because the trinity is in it.

good point.
    Last edited by Jack Lantern; 04-10-2016 at 05:10 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ceebiro View Post

Okay but that was the end gross for those movies after about 4-5 months. Not 3 weeks. As to the icon stuff i think Deadpool proved thats pretty much irrelevant. Moviegoers are saturated with superheroes name recognition isnt gonna do it anymore.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Well, it had a drop larger than normal.
    actually it was no worse than “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” or “X-Men Origins: Wolverine". And yet each film set up for future developments of their respective franchises. So they did something right.

so the key word is "than normal". "normal" is a relative term.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lantern View Post
    exactly. I loved the movie because it was a good movie.

also a lot of fans like it. bit just because the trinity is in it.

good point.
    I really liked the layers to the movie. Its a visual feast good for repeat veiwing.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    If they put cap on tv it would work. Who are you kidding.
    I certainly think they should try it. And I hope it would last ten seasons.
    I hope you didn't think I was anti-Cap. I just think he is less recognisable worldwide as Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lantern View Post
    actually it was no worse than “The Twilight Saga: New Moon,” “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2” or “X-Men Origins: Wolverine". And yet each film set up for future developments of their respective franchises. So they did something right.

so the key word is "than normal". "normal" is a relative term.
    The Harry Potter one was the last of that saga.

And there is so many people with fond memories of the Origins movie.

Mighty Member

Well here someone found a nice chart from Reddit showing the legs of comic book movies

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=907

BvS should get past Watchmen and into next to last place. I am sure that is not the legs the WB was looking for in their worst case scenario.