Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Last edited by Gaastra; 04-10-2016 at 10:58 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    There are a few reasons for this. Putting Batman on the big screen after the flop that was Batman and Robin was pretty risky overall. And there was that, "Oh they're making another superhero film?" It's a big hard to remember those days, but by the time Batman Begins was released, we had the three Blade films, two Spider-Man films, two X-Men films, Daredevil, Elektra, Punisher, and Ang Lee's Hulk. Fans were iffy about Batman again too because Tim Burton's Batman was held up as the standard, so they were apprehensive about Christopher Nolan and Christian Bale. People were pleasantly surprised, of course and it did fairly well compared to how most comic book movies were doing at the time. Sure it didn't make Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, or X2 money, but it was far from a flop by the standards of the time.
    Here is the thing Ace. Again. Now the standards are hight cause of the darknight and darknight rises. But this is a new batman this isnt darknight. And superman hasnt done great at the theater for 35 years. When that new spidey movie comes out are people going to hold it up to the standards it set at the box office for the first one? If it doesnt match those standards is it a failure? There seems to be a scale here that only applies to bats and supes. One day chris evans wont be cap. They will do a movie for him. Now if this new cap doesnt make as much as the last cap I expect everyone on here to come out and declare it a failure.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Yeah I'd say 800 million in that amount of time is impressive for any movie. It's definitely being held to a unrealistic standard.
    It's being held to the standard that they chose. Warner's wants the DCCU to be competition for the MCU. So if Warner's has DCs top three characters to play with and cannot EASILY break a billion, and stay atop the box-office for more than two weekends, when a movie NOBODY would call a blockbuster beats it at the box-office... there is something wrong with their movie making process. BvS, made well, should have already cracked a billion globally, and should be able to stay on top of the box-office even against The Jungle Book.

The problem seems to be that Warner's believed that and didn't try hard enough to make a good film, and instead made what I have always said feels like a bloated film that is trying to do too much in one movie. It's just a bad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Here is the thing Ace. Again. Now the standards are hight cause of the darknight and darknight rises. But this is a new batman this isnt darknight. And superman hasnt done great at the theater for 35 years. When that new spidey movie comes out are people going to hold it up to the standards it set at the box office for the first one? If it doesnt match those standards is it a failure? There seems to be a scale here that only applies to bats and supes. One day chris evans wont be cap. They will do a movie for him. Now if this new cap doesnt make as much as the last cap I expect everyone on here to come out and declare it a failure.
    Oh I was just addressing the whole idea that Batman Begins the considered a flop today. It's a bit hard to say something like that when Nolan's films were, at the time, the best comic book movies in a sea of mostly mediocre comic book movies. It would likely do very well if it came out today because it would have the advantage of 3D, IMAX, and the international box office. So I don't really buy the argument itself. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises set very high standards for sure. Justice League Part 1 may very well be their billion maker if it isn't as divisive as the first two films in the DCEU were. We'll see.

As far as the Spidey films go? I think they'll be anxious to wash the taste of the last three Spider-Man films out of their mouths. My bet? They're going to play it safe like Lucasfilm did with TFA and people are going to eat it up. It will be a smash hit. As far as Superman goes? It beats me. The biggest problem many people (not myself) have with this interpretation of Superman is he is too dark. If that hadn't been the case, most of the complaints might have been that Superman just isn't modern or interesting. So who knows what the deal is?

Mighty Member

Under what modern guise do you make the argument that superman is still so popular? He had a big movie 35 years ago. This is what I dont get. Are you saying cause superman sells a few more comic books than Cap that he is more popular? He might be more popular but not by much. Cap as I said gets a pass. Iron man wasnt a big hero either but his movies did way better than cap. People cant say oh thats cause Iron Man is a more popular character. He wasnt. Come on.

This is crazy talk, First Superman sells a lot more books. But more importantly he has had success on the radio, multiple TV series, multiple cartoons 2 serials and numerous movies. Cap had 1 serial ad 2 failed TV movies before TFA. Supes was dozens if not hundreds of times as successful as Cap before the MCU came along.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Venom View Post
    Oh I was just addressing the whole idea that Batman Begins the considered a flop today. It's a bit hard to say something like that when Nolan's films were, at the time, the best comic book movies in a sea of mostly mediocre comic book movies. It would likely do very well if it came out today because it would have the advantage of 3D, IMAX, and the international box office. So I don't really buy the argument itself. The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises set very high standards for sure. Justice League Part 1 may very well be their billion maker if it isn't as divisive as the first two films in the DCEU were. We'll see.

As far as the Spidey films go? I think they'll be anxious to wash the taste of the last three Spider-Man films out of their mouths. My bet? They're going to play it safe like Lucasfilm did with TFA and people are going to eat it up. It will be a smash hit. As far as Superman goes? It beats me. The biggest problem many people (not myself) have with this interpretation of Superman is he is too dark. If that hadn't been the case, most of the complaints might have been that Superman just isn't modern or interesting. So who knows what the deal is?
    If JL 1 is their big money maker that will be just like avengers was after 5 MCU movies then. What people forget is that cap and thor and hulk didnt exactly light the box office up.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by regnak View Post
    This is crazy talk, First Superman sells a lot more books. But more importantly he has had success on the radio, multiple TV series, multiple cartoons 2 serials and numerous movies. Cap had 1 serial ad 2 failed TV movies before TFA. Supes was dozens if not hundreds of times as successful as Cap before the MCU came along.
    its not crazy talk. Superman doesnt sell all that great. Look at his sales. When was the last huge superman movie? And spidey sells more books than superman how come his last two movies didnt do so great? Again you keep holding superman to a standard that he isnt even at. Its like holding a new western to a standard cause westerns 50 years ago were the biggest movies out there. Superman has been replaced by more modern heros at the top. Heck deadpool has bypassed alot of the old school heros.

Under what modern guise do you make the argument that superman is still so popular? He had a big movie 35 years ago. This is what I dont get. Are you saying cause superman sells a few more comic books than Cap that he is more popular? He might be more popular but not by much. Cap as I said gets a pass. Iron man wasnt a big hero either but his movies did way better than cap. People cant say oh thats cause Iron Man is a more popular character. He wasnt. Come on.
    Superman 4 was released in 1987, 29 years ago. It failed because it was a bad movie, not because Superman wasn't popular. And you are ignoring the fact that Superboy was on TV staring in starting in 1988, only one year later, and lasted 4 seasons, Lois & Clark was on TV for 4 years, getting good ratings for most of that run, and Smallville was on TV for 10 years, and even his cousin has a TV show currently running on CBS, that got huge ratings for the first episode. That's 19 years of Superman characters on TV that the public has been exposed to. If Superman weren't popular he wouldn't be so successful on TV.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Yeah conquers is a pretty big exaggeration. It only made $45,000 more.

And love or hate the film, its still the second highest grossing film so far this year.

1 Zootopia BV $852.5 $296.0 34.7% $556.5 65.3%
    2 Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice WB $783.5 $296.7 37.9% $486.8 62.1%
    3 Deadpool Fox $755.8 $358.4 47.4% $397.3 52.6%
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

All Marvel and DC fans should be rooting for all comic book movies to do well. The general public has no clue which company has which characters. I'm more of a DC fan in print, but I always root hard for the Marvel movies to succeed...because that is good for comics. This nonsense rivalry needs to stop, there is plenty of room for 2 comic companies, 2 movie universes and plenty of TV shows

Mighty Member

its not crazy talk. Superman doesnt sell all that great. Look at his sales. When was the last huge superman movie? And spidey sells more books than superman how come his last two movies didnt do so great? Again you keep holding superman to a standard that he isnt even at. Its like holding a new western to a standard cause westerns 50 years ago were the biggest movies out there. Superman has been replaced by more modern heros at the top. Heck deadpool has bypassed alot of the old school heros.

It is crazy talk, Superman has built a mainstream fanbase over decades. SR grossed almost $400 million which was more than TFA and only failed because its budget was too high. Animated series help a lot and Supes has had one most decades. Cap never had a cartoon and just started building a mainstream fan base with TFA. And besides I remember a couple years ago you arguing that MoS did better than TWS because it made more domestically. You are changing your position to fit the needs of your current argument.

Incredible Member

Cap is my favorite superhero character but everyone knows Superman is more of an Icon than Cap.

And if were talking quality of movies, that matters just as much as the characters popularity. Just look at Man of Steel's success compared to Superman Returns. Quality matters. And Iron Man and Deadpool did great because they were excellent movies. If Iron Man and Deadpool were shitty, they wouldve flopped.
    G.O.A.T.: Greatest Of All Time now on Patreon. Please support or spread the word www.patreon.com/andrewhuerta

Incredible Member

Superman's popularity over Captain America has no comparison. Superman has been way more iconic across the world then Captain America ever has. Just the name alone Captain America prohibitive of becoming a worldwide standard. As stated before Superman has way more media behind him over decades in comparison to Captain America. Again we are talking about average people not necessarily comic book fans.

Now one thing I want to mention as well about Deadpool is that Deadpool did not open in China. Deadpool will not be opening in the world's second biggest box office Market. So Deadpool really did over shoot most comic book movies as it made its money with a severe disadvantage. So Batman v Superman doing better then Deadpool really isn't a headline at this point.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
    Superman's popularity over Captain America has no comparison. Superman has been way more iconic across the world then Captain America ever has. Just the name alone Captain America prohibitive of becoming a worldwide standard. As stated before Superman has way more media behind him over decades in comparison to Captain America. Again we are talking about average people not necessarily comic book fans.

Now one thing I want to mention as well about Deadpool is that Deadpool did not open in China. Deadpool will not be opening in the world's second biggest box office Market. So Deadpool really did over shoot most comic book movies as it made its money with a severe disadvantage. So Batman v Superman doing better then Deadpool really isn't a headline at this point.
    But you are using a standard for superman compared to deadpool when you dont use those same standards for cap or thor or even iron man for deadpool or the x men for that matter. All of those characters were better known than deadpool. And deadpool beat all of them at the box office. So you hold superman up as an icon yet dont for any of these other heros that deadpool has smoked at the box office. They have no iconic status. Only superman. Nevermind that the iconic status is overplayed as someone who pointed out the box office of batman begins said. Superman is an icon in your mind. But his box office over the last 35 years hasnt shown that to be the case. Its not like his comics are in the top ten either. You just pronounce him an icon. Deadpool beat the last two spidermans at the box office. Is he not an icon? Is anyone an icon other than Superman and Batman? When does someone get to be iconic? This is such silly talk.

If JL 1 is their big money maker that will be just like avengers was after 5 MCU movies then. What people forget is that cap and thor and hulk didnt exactly light the box office up.
    No. They didn't. Avengers was a lightning in a bottle situation that very easily could have fallen flat if they had screwed things up during the build up to Avengers. The model that sounds like a no brainer wasn't always that way and it had never been done before. They managed to build up positive buzz, which is why it worked. We'll have to see if Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad build up enough positive buzz for Justice League Part 1.