Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to Marvel: What Books Are Part of the 90s "Civil War" Event? Plus Bonus Questions!

Hey,

I've gotten into DC Comics the past couple years, but largely haven't been into Marvel. However, some upcoming changes to the Superman line from DC editorial leave me sort of hopping off that train and exploring the wider comic universe.

Someone recommended me a great independent comic called Black Science, that I've caught up on and subscribed to. Great stuff!

Long post, so I highlighted the important parts in case people just want to see the questions.

I specifically was interested in exploring Marvel's first "Civil War" event.

Can someone tell me what specific issues I am looking for? A Comixology link would be even better (I don't do print and their search engine can be a little clunky going back and looking for old material. ).

I prefer to get individual issues to trades and stuff, unless the trades are much more heavily discounted than the individual issues, because the individual issues are how things are originally presented, and if something is a crossover event, and I later get into one of the books, they'd fit into that potential future collection. Like, if Civil War #2 were Captain America #107, if I later got into Captain America and wanted to read that series sequentially, I'd already have #107.

So, what am I looking for? Is it even on Comixology?

I hear there's some kind of 7 issue core run. Is that good enough? Or do I need other books? Is it kind of like get the 7 and then optimally grab individual issues related to from your favorite characters?

Are these discounted the way old DC Comics are discounted?

On a side note:

DC Comics is cutting prices to $2.99 per issue. Will Marvel follow suit with some kind of price cut? I was able to pick up the first 2015 series of Howard the Duck in a sale a while back at a buck an issue, but the $4.99 price tag for their second #1 and following on kind of turned me off of continuing a series I thought was pretty funny. I think I did buy the second #1 and then tailed off. Even $3.99 rather than $4.99 makes a difference on a budget.

Similarly, I tried the first issue of Black Panther, and it was alright, but I'm not subscribing at $4.99 an issue. I would have had to like it a ton to pay that for an on-going.

Seems like DC cutting prices is sort of tossing down the gauntlet on this. Of course, the fact that DC editorial keeps screwing things up as badly as it does may mean it doesn't matter. I don't feel like reading about pre-Flashpoint Superman coming to our universe with his 10-year old crime-fighting SuperSon, and displacing the new52 universe's real Superman (Looks like he's a goner, and DC editorial is just, "Eh, tough shit"), who I liked, at any price. They finally give us an edgier more modern Superman doing adult things, and then they replace him with the failed guy from 5 years ago and make it a children's-oriented book (Well, not yet, it's coming).

Also- another side note, what current on-going titles do you guys recommend? Bonus points if they are $3.99 or less for new issues.

Someone mentioned an old title that featured the creator of Babylon 5 (I loved that show) writing the Superman-like Hyperion from like 10 years ago, and I wish listed the first issue to maybe buy later. Also wish listed the new Hyperion #1 (Wishlisting is just my way of keeping track of things I might want to read, but am not ready to buy, so when I'm ready, I've got stuff I've pre-screened lined up to pick from and don't wind up with something random I'll like less, or have to take a lot of time looking stuff up). But I am not limiting myself to the people who are just like Superman, obviously.

What are the Captain America titles like these days? I hear there are several different people calling themselves Captain America in a bunch of different books.

Anyway, in general, since I ask for recommendations, I would say it's a turn off to me when comics feature a child fighting crime or something. A bit too cheesy. It's a plus when everyone is an adult. It's a bigger plus when they tell stories for adults and don't restrict themselves to a G rating.

I know that doesn't sound anything like Superman has ever been, and I describe myself as a Superman fan, but I definitely have preferences within that genre, even. Like, a Superman story where he sleeps with Wonder Woman and then has some sort of engaging mind-game with a super villain and a fight with lots of blood and carnage, and stands up for social justice and the people who have no voice, investigating slum lords, while on his day job writing for the Daily Planet- Good. A Superman story where he waves a flag and tells kids to say no to drugs and has a brief fight with a cheesy villain who he knocks out in one punch- Bad.
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-10-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Ok, in terms of Civil War it was a 2007(?) event and should be readily available on comixology, I'd recommend getting the marvel comics app as it's all comixology and I believe that anything marvel you buy in comixology will be available in the Marvel app provided you've linked the accounts.

In terms of price points... Marvel have a weird system where issue #1s are at $4.99 and then go to $3.99 thereafter - just a marketing tactic to get the most money out of us, but crafty but oh well .
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Quote Originally Posted by adameastment View Post
    In terms of price points... Marvel have a weird system where issue #1s are at $4.99 and then go to $3.99 thereafter - just a marketing tactic to get the most money out of us, but crafty but oh well .
    Don't forget they double ship too...sometimes. I can never figure out which series do or not, and some seem to do it at random.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    Don't forget they double ship too...sometimes. I can never figure out which series do or not, and some seem to do it at random.
    That too, it's like maximum money on the issue one which I reckon probably help with any losses made down the line
    Cohost of the Attilan Rising Podcast available now: Attilan Rising Website | iTunes | Google Play

Monthly Pull List: I don't update this nearly enough

Wait, there was a Civil War in the 90's ?.

Spectacular Member

There was no '90s Civil War event. It came out in '07. It was a mini series that ran for 7 issues. There were tie ins to many different series that included anywhere from 1-4 issues in those respective ongoings. There may have been some tie in mini series as well but I can't remember if there were or not.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrab View Post
    So, what am I looking for? Is it even on Comixology?

I hear there's some kind of 7 issue core run. Is that good enough? Or do I need other books? Is it kind of like get the 7 and then optimally grab individual issues related to from your favorite characters?[/B]
    Yes, the 7 issue core run is good enough. This is what you want: https://www.comixology.com/Civil-War...al-comic/19456 You do not need anything else. If you want to read any specific perspectives on the story, then you would pick up those tie-ins. Captain America and Iron Man are good ones. I also like this one-shot issue as an epilogue to the story: https://www.comixology.com/Civil-War...tal-comic/7570

On a side note:

DC Comics is cutting prices to $2.99 per issue. Will Marvel follow suit with some kind of price cut? I was able to pick up the first 2015 series of Howard the Duck in a sale a while back at a buck an issue, but the $4.99 price tag for their second #1 and following on kind of turned me off of continuing a series I thought was pretty funny. I think I did buy the second #1 and then tailed off. Even $3.99 rather than $4.99 makes a difference on a budget.

Similarly, I tried the first issue of Black Panther, and it was alright, but I'm not subscribing at $4.99 an issue. I would have had to like it a ton to pay that for an on-going.
    Black Panther is not going to be 4.99/issue going forward. That was just for the first issue, which had a bit of bonus content they used to justify the higher price.

Marvel is not going to do a price cut unless DC sees some huge spike in sales, which I doubt is going to happen. Marvel's been doing pretty well at 3.99/issue for a while now.

Also- another side note, what current on-going titles do you guys recommend? Bonus points if they are $3.99 or less for new issues.[/B]
    My favorites right now would probably be All-New Wolverine, Power Man and Iron Fist, and the Ultimates. I'm also liking All-New All-Different Avengers, Black Widow, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Contest of Champions, The Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, and Totally Awesome Hulk.

Black Panther and Mockingbird both have just one issue out so far, and look like they're going to be very good.

What are the Captain America titles like these days? I hear there are several different people calling themselves Captain America in a bunch of different books.
    Currently, there is just one Captain America title, which is Captain America: Sam Wilson. However, Steve Rogers is coming back as Captain America in a new series coming next month, at which point there will be two books.

Quote Originally Posted by adameastment View Post
    Ok, in terms of Civil War it was a 2007(?) event and should be readily available on comixology, I'd recommend getting the marvel comics app as it's all comixology and I believe that anything marvel you buy in comixology will be available in the Marvel app provided you've linked the accounts.
    Thanks. I briefly tried Marvel Unlimited like a year ago, gave up pretty quickly because I hated the interface. I had trouble reading words, and it was very buggy. So, I'd be going through Comixology- I liked their guided view, and I may or may not have a way of backing up my purchases through that into files that can be read with comic book software that displays full pages better and more clearly than either MU or Comixology. Purely as a backup for purchased comics, of course.. hypothetically.

I notice with Howard the Duck, the first three issues of the second 2015 series are $4.99, but it does drop to $3.99 eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by dragonmp93 View Post
    Wait, there was a Civil War in the 90's ?.
    That was my mistake. Like I said, I really have been reading Superman and through that know the DC universe. My Marvel knowledge is limited. Turns out the 2006 or 2007 series is the one I want.

Speaking of which, I was able to find both the seven issue miniseries and then like some sort of mega-version of the series with 100 issues. Obviously, I'm not buying 100 issues. Will I be okay reading the seven "main" issues in the series? Like, will I be able to understand what's going on and feel like I am reading the complete narrative?

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Damascus View Post
    Yes, the 7 issue core run is good enough. This is what you want: https://www.comixology.com/Civil-War...al-comic/19456 You do not need anything else. If you want to read any specific perspectives on the story, then you would pick up those tie-ins. Captain America and Iron Man are good ones. I also like this one-shot issue as an epilogue to the story: https://www.comixology.com/Civil-War...tal-comic/7570
    Thanks!

My favorites right now would probably be All-New Wolverine, Power Man and Iron Fist, and the Ultimates. I'm also liking All-New All-Different Avengers, Black Widow, Captain America: Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Contest of Champions, The Mighty Thor, Ms. Marvel, New Avengers, and Totally Awesome Hulk.
    Who is the All-New Wolverine? I am guessing not Logan? What's the general premise of the series? Generally well received?

Honestly though, I don't think Civil War is a very good story, and definitely not a good introduction to the Marvel Universe.

Personally, I'd start a new reader off with Avengers (1998) #1-56 by Kurt Busiek, which is a fantastic run that is easy to get into and explores many different corners of the Marvel Universe, along with featuring classic Avengers characters like the Vision and the Scarlet Witch, who you will see in Civil War the movie, but won't find in Civil War the comic.

https://www.comixology.com/Avengers-...cs-series/3865

Who is the All-New Wolverine? I am guessing not Logan? What's the general premise of the series? Generally well received?
    The All-New Wolverine is Laura Kinney, formerly known as X-23, a young female clone of Logan who's been around for a little over a decade now. Logan was killed back in late 2014, and Laura took up the name in his honor, since he had taken her in and even legally adopted her as his daughter. The premise of the series is that Laura is trying to carry on Logan's legacy, being a superhero who protects and avenges people who are preyed on by the immoral and powerful. The first arc has her dealing with a corporate laboratory that created clones of her that they want hunted down and killed. It's very good, I like it a lot.

Oh good lord, just imagine if there really was Civil War during the 90's, with all of its 90's-isms...

Thanks. I briefly tried Marvel Unlimited like a year ago, gave up pretty quickly because I hated the interface. I had trouble reading words, and it was very buggy. So, I'd be going through Comixology- I liked their guided view, and I may or may not have a way of backing up my purchases through that into files that can be read with comic book software that displays full pages better and more clearly than either MU or Comixology. Purely as a backup for purchased comics, of course.. hypothetically.

I notice with Howard the Duck, the first three issues of the second 2015 series are $4.99, but it does drop to $3.99 eventually.

That was my mistake. Like I said, I really have been reading Superman and through that know the DC universe. My Marvel knowledge is limited. Turns out the 2006 or 2007 series is the one I want.

Speaking of which, I was able to find both the seven issue miniseries and then like some sort of mega-version of the series with 100 issues. Obviously, I'm not buying 100 issues. Will I be okay reading the seven "main" issues in the series? Like, will I be able to understand what's going on and feel like I am reading the complete narrative?
    Well, you will be fine with the main event, but it's not the complete narrative.

Read the 7 main Civil War books.

The end of the 7th book says some of the people who lost the war fought on anyway? Who are they and in what books and issues would their stories be found?

Also:

spoilers:
    It seems obvious that the status quo after book seven didn't last. How long did it take them to reverse/reboot/refresh/retcon it? Was there a miniseries or something where it happened?
    end of spoilers

Read the 7 main Civil War books.

The end of the 7th book says some of the people who lost the war fought on anyway? Who are they and in what books and issues would their stories be found?

Also:

spoilers:
    It seems obvious that the status quo after book seven didn't last. How long did it take them to reverse/reboot/refresh/retcon it? Was there a miniseries or something where it happened?
    end of spoilers
    In the aftermath of Civil War Tony Stark became the head of Shield and the Avengers, a short time later in the Secret invasion event where The Skrulls (shape shifting aliens) lead a devastating attack against Earth, Tony Stark was blamed for it while Norman Osborn (Green Goblin) was made the new directer of shield because he was seen being heroicly with everyone else, he quickly made Shield into his own organization and called it HAMMER starting a period called Dark Reign where the main Avengers team was a group of villains pretending to be heroes called the Dark Avengers, around this time (maybe before) Thor brought Asgard to Earth (Broxton, Oklahoma) to save it from destruction, Osborne gets increasingly paranoid about it being there until Siege where he frames the Asgardians for some stuff and uses it has an excuse to attack Asgard publicly, it ends with a big fight between Heroes and Villains around Asgard. The aftermath of the "Siege" event was called the heroic age" where everything reverted back to normal with a few changes (like Captain America being in charge of SHIELD). All in all, it about 3 years for the stuff from Civil War to not matter.

I recommend:
    Mighty Avengers: At the start it features a team lead by Iron Man kinda showing how the team operates with the Superhuman registration act in full effect, in the aftermath of Secret Invasion, that team is dissembled, while a new team led by Hank Pym is formed and goes around doing stuff like pulling a heist on the Baxter Building (FF HQ), building a infinite Avengers Mansion and being a pain in Norman Osborne's neck

Daredevil, if it has Daredevil in the name chances are its a good book

Captain America, the Brubaker Run, This is the run that inspired the Captain America: Winter Soldier movie, it is also the run that made Cap relevant to modern day comics.

Deadpool by Gerry Duggan, While not has Gory or profane has the Deadpool movie, this run is excellent because it really explores the reasons why Deadpool is so messed up mentally, while giving Deadpool hope that he can better himself.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man: If you want a funny book, this is it, it focuses on a few C-list villains has they try to hit it big while avoiding superheroes and bigger, meaner Super-villains

Fantastic Four, just start at the number 1 from the 60's and go from there, this book pretty much is responsible for Half the Marvel universe. This could be up to several hundred issues though, so it might be better to read it in Marvel Unlimited (if you know what you are looking for and know how to find it, it isn't too bad to navigate)

Amazing Spider-Man, same with Fantastic Four, just start with issue #1 from the sixties and read, again, this could mean several hundred issues, so a Marvel Unlimited subscription might save you enough money to be worth the hassle of navigating it.

Infinity Gauntlet, This is an early 90s event, it doesn't have a lasting effect on earth based superheroes like Civil War did, but it is an iconic storyline that is the basis for the third Avengers movie
    Last edited by Captain Zolalnadia; 04-11-2016 at 08:58 PM.