Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Most people at my showing didn't realize until the mention of "Peter Parker".

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    My issue with May is that it seems like a different character. spoilers:
    It's just not Marissa Tomei is a much younger take on the character, but her whole thing in the comics is that she's overprotective, so she takes Peter's injuries way too lightly, telling him she hopes he got a few licks in.
    end of spoilers

I will say the film may have ended with the most obvious text ever: spoilers:
    Spider-Man will return.
    end of spoilers

And this was a great take on Spidey. The effects were excellent, but I loved the quips. It helps that this version of Spider-Man appeared in an established superhero universe where so much makes him unique in comparison to all the others. The earlier takes might have been a bit more generic, and they could get away with it, in a world without any other superheroes.
    Interestingly, I've seen many outlets actually praise the writers for altering May's characterization in that regard. As others have said, this is meant to be closer to the Ultimate version of the character, which... a change was due I guess? Curious to see and learn more about her.

Spidey really was amazing in this one. And I just loved the incredibly simple yet elegant and evocative manner in which he summed up his origin to Tony.
    Last edited by Confuzzled; 05-09-2016 at 12:09 AM.

BANNED

Only thing I was left wondering--how exactly did Stark pinpoint that this kid from Queens was running around as Spider-Man? Was there a throwaway line that I missed?

They may have said how Stark knows. I was so excited when I saw

spoilers:
    QUEENS, NY
    end of spoilers

on the screen that it was hard to pay close attention a few seconds after that.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Interestingly, I've seen many outlets actually praise the writers for altering May's characterization in that regard. As others have said, this is meant to be closer to the Ultimate version of the character, which... a change was due I guess? Curious to see and learn more about her.

Spidey really was amazing in this one. And I just loved the incredibly simple yet elegant and evocative manner in which he summed up his origin to Tony.
    It could be a good character, but it's not Aunt May. my guess is the people praising the altering didn't care for the original.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

It could be a good character, but it's not Aunt May. my guess is the people praising the altering didn't care for the original.
    It could also be a more modern representation of single motherhood, as Aunt May has always been, in a lot of respects, a single mother.

We'll have to see how it plays out in the solo film. I'm wondering if they'll just forego a lot of the backstory or delve into Tomei's May and her losing Ben Parker.

A problem with having an overprotective Aunt May is that she will WANT to know how Peter got hurt, and then actively try to stop that from happening again. So you either play her up as incredibly daft and incompetent or otherwise make her resourceful enough to figure out the truth immediately. In this day and age, the first characterization is just out of place and the second characterization, while more interesting, may rob the impact of May's eventual realization of her nephew's dual life.

Emphasis on eventual. So the best case scenario is just have her allow Peter his independence and trust him enough to take care of himself when he's outside the house. Then have her gradually realize that something's amiss.

Astonishing Member

Spidey steals the show. Welcome home.

This might make and interesting discussion all its own.

To me, Aunt May is over-protective of Peter but in a loving way. She also believes in him, providing emotional grounding for him when all other people have abandoned him. She is a tough lady who has seen her share of hard knocks but believes that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

You know that famous scene in Kraven's Last Hunt where Peter bursts from the grave? That's Aunt May's influence, right there.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesedique View Post
    It could also be a more modern representation of single motherhood, as Aunt May has always been, in a lot of respects, a single mother.

We'll have to see how it plays out in the solo film. I'm wondering if they'll just forego a lot of the backstory or delve into Tomei's May and her losing Ben Parker.
    A single mom/parental figure having to raise her kid alone in a tough Queens neighborhood (and some parts of Queen are legit scary) she may very well be
    resigned to her kid getting in fights.

She WOULD have an issue with him being a perpetual victim ("I hope you at least got some shots in") in said fights.

It's a May Parker that could actually exist.

And some women just take care of themselves/have good genes.