Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default "The Defenders" to Start Filming at the End of the Year, Says "Daredevil's" Charlie Cox

Cox doesn't know whether "Daredevil" will get a third season or what "Defenders" will be about, but he does know when the latter starts filming.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

I am down with everything about this except for the title. Not one of the characters featured on the NETFLIX programs has been a DEFENDER.
    They should call it MARVEL KNIGHTS. A comic series which did feature DAREDEVIL and PUNISHER. The title better fits the tone of the shows and it has "MARVEL" right in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bri View Post
    I am down with everything about this except for the title. Not one of the characters featured on the NETFLIX programs has been a DEFENDER.
    They should call it MARVEL KNIGHTS. A comic series which did feature DAREDEVIL and PUNISHER. The title better fits the tone of the shows and it has "MARVEL" right in it.
    I figure soon we will see a Defenders comic series with the Netflix cast. And they probably want a team name that can become iconic like "Avengers". But I agree Marvel Knights would've been better, even if they couldn't have called themselves that in the show.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Fantastic Member

Does this mean Defenders is gonna hit before the Iron Fist series? Because while I know its unrealistic to expect, if I saw a great Iron Fist origin on screen I might be able to die happy.

Shouldn't they finish (or rather, start) Iron Fist first?

All-New Member

Finally, been waiting for the Defenders since season 1 of Daredevil

All-New Member

Just because they're shooting at the end of the year doesn't mean it will be released before Iron Fist. Luke Cage is scheduled for the Fall of this year, after that I believe Iron Fist will arrive in the spring and Defenders in the Fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Openminds View Post
    Just because they're shooting at the end of the year doesn't mean it will be released before Iron Fist. Luke Cage is scheduled for the Fall of this year, after that I believe Iron Fist will arrive in the spring and Defenders in the Fall.
    Don't forget Jessica Jones Season 2.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by klefmung View Post
    Does this mean Defenders is gonna hit before the Iron Fist series? Because while I know its unrealistic to expect, if I saw a great Iron Fist origin on screen I might be able to die happy.
    Iron Fist has already entered production. I'm not sure if they've started filming, but they've been working on casting. Iron Fist is definitely going to hit before The Defenders.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    I figure soon we will see a Defenders comic series with the Netflix cast. And they probably want a team name that can become iconic like "Avengers". But I agree Marvel Knights would've been better, even if they couldn't have called themselves that in the show.
    The issue with "Marvel Knights" is that you're going to wind up with immediate calls of ripoff of Batman and maybe even lawsuits. Tonally, Daredevil is closer to the Nolan Batman films than the rest of the MCU and they probably want to avoid drawing additional comparisons.

Defenders is a recognizable Marvel brand that really hasn't been used to any major extent since, what, the early 90's (Secret Defenders is last I remember out of the name outside of a handful of miniseries)?

I just realized that it shares the name with the 1960s television show about attorneys handling complex cases. I doubt it's an homage or an intentional throwback, but it's neat to think that both shows are led by an exceptionally skilled lawyer.

BANNED

Its contrast. The Avengers go on the offensive via Globe Trotting. The Defenders defend the home front so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Frankly, if New Avengers wasn't taken by the post-AoU team, I would've gone with that given the New Avengers were always a little more street-level then the main, traditional, Avengers.

Though Marvel Knights works pretty well too .

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

We were never going to see the comic line up of the Defenders on film or television so I don't mind them using the name.

Hulk is an Avengers main stay.
    Silver Surfer is at Fox
    Namor's rights are complicated at the moment.
    If Doctor Strange is going to be in a team then it will probably be either the Avengers or Midnight Sons.

The Defenders name also fits the Netflix line up. You have street level heroes that fight for the ordinary people. A Lawyer, P.I, Neighbourhood champion and Martial artist fighting against crime syndicates, ninja cults, a guy that can evade the justice system and a corrupt corporation.
    Last edited by chamber-music; 04-11-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    We were never going to see the comic line up of the Defenders on film or television so I don't mind them using the name.

Hulk is an Avengers main stay.
    Silver Surfer is at Fox
    Namor's rights are complicated at the moment.
    If Doctor Strange is going to be in a team then it will probably be either the Avengers or Midnight Sons.

The Defenders name also fits the Netflix line up. You have street level heroes that fight for the ordinary people. A Lawyer, P.I, Neighbourhood champion and Martial artist fighting against crime syndicates, ninja cults, a guy that can evade the justice system and a corrupt corporation.
    It would be kinda funny to deliberately play off the fact that these guys are NOT the Avengers. Have their final battle be someplace that no one will see and have it be all spectacular but no one even knows they saved the day. Then instead of going out for Middle Eastern food, they go out and get a beer/whiskey/bourbon/etc.

I just wanna see Iron Fist, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all back-to-back beating the s*** out of ninjas.