Default Is "The Atlantis Chronicles" (1990) worth checking out? Is it relevant?

Heard about this story, and wondered if its still relevant to today's DCU at all, and/or if its worth the read?

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Relevant? No idea any more, nothing as far as I can remember says Yea or nay.
    Is it worth it? Only if you like stories that are well written, strong and solid in story, characterry and plot with some seriously beautiful artwork to carry the story from one page to the next.

Spectacular Member

I thought the first five issues were really good. Last two kinda lost me. Still totally worth a read.

Atlantis Chronicles was memorable.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Heard about this story, and wondered if its still relevant to today's DCU at all, and/or if its worth the read?
    Just saw this thread and I'm still trying to track down a couple of missing issues or a used trade if any but what I have seen looked good. I'm a junky for mid 80's to mid 90's DC minis. I like them better than the main titles which DC still tries to do but nobody buys anymore. I was strictly into indies during that time frame. It seems this story may be trying to create a history of Atlantis millennia before Aquaman when magic ruled and may be the character Arion. Hope I'm right with that.Others here may have better info on this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Just saw this thread and I'm still trying to track down a couple of missing issues or a used trade if any but what I have seen looked good. I'm a junky for mid 80's to mid 90's DC minis. I like them better than the main titles which DC still tries to do but nobody buys anymore. I was strictly into indies during that time frame. It seems this story may be trying to create a history of Atlantis millennia before Aquaman when magic ruled and may be the character Arion. Hope I'm right with that.Others here may have better info on this.
    I don't remember Arion being in Atlantis Chronicles if he was it was probably brief. Focused more on Orin/Shalako/Atlan and his brothers/Kordax.

In regards to the OP I'd like for a Miniseries of a Chronicles of Atlantis to be made for the Newer Universe. I liked the original and I'm curious to how it would be portrayed in this modern time I'm curious to Arthur's ancestoral history and I'd like to see characters from Atlantis past like Arion, Kordax and more Atlan wouldn't hurt.

Relevant? In regards to Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman Vol5/6 and SOA sure, but Blackest/Brightest Night/Day seems to have made some of that stuff invalid.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

It is a wonderful story and easily Peter David's best work. Given the ancient time-line, I don't think it would be retconed away anytime soon

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    I don't remember Arion being in Atlantis Chronicles if he was it was probably brief. Focused more on Orin/Shalako/Atlan and his brothers/Kordax.

In regards to the OP I'd like for a Miniseries of a Chronicles of Atlantis to be made for the Newer Universe. I liked the original and I'm curious to how it would be portrayed in this modern time I'm curious to Arthur's ancestoral history and I'd like to see characters from Atlantis past like Arion, Kordax and more Atlan wouldn't hurt.

Relevant? In regards to Pre-Flashpoint Aquaman Vol5/6 and SOA sure, but Blackest/Brightest Night/Day seems to have made some of that stuff invalid.
    So Arion wasn't in this arc but came later? Thanks for the correction. All I remembered was a sorcer king or something of the sort.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    So Arion wasn't in this arc but came later? Thanks for the correction. All I remembered was a sorcer king or something of the sort.
    According to DC Wikia he predates Atlantis Chronicles.

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Arion_Lord_of_Atlantis_Vol_1

I'm wanting to read more of Arion but only have appearances from like Superman and Aquaman :/ can't get his original series anywhere.