Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What is your Spider-Man?

I'm curious if you guys have a favorite take on Spider-Man. This could be a combination of writer and artist in the comics, or a favorite take from film or tv.

If pressed, my answer is probaby the Roger Stern and John Romita Sr. Peter Parker from their Amazing Spider-Man run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For me it's definitely the 90's cartoon Spidey. I grew up watching re-runs of that series, and I've always sort of viewed that show's portrayal of him as my own "definitive" Spidey. I have plenty of other portrayals that I like, but the 90s show will always be my own personal Spider-Man.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Gil Kane with John Romita on art with either Stan Lee or Gerry Conway as the writer.
    7b37958c854a197a84535df729103fb5.jpg

Bendis' Peter is definitely mine. I grew up with the Raimi films and casually watched a few cartoons, but read the Ultimate comics last year and now "my" Peter Parker is forever Bendis' take on him. As far as art goes, I LOVED David Lafuente's run on the series so either him or David Marquez.

I first got into comics in the early-90s, so the Mark Bagley/David Michelinie run has always been my favorite. ASM #361-363 is still my favorite Carnage story.

Whenever I think of the comic Spidey, Bagley's style is the one that first comes to mind.

I never got into any of the animated shows but for film versions I definitely prefer Tobey Maguire, especially in his first movie. Didn't care at all for Andrew Garfield but will be curious to check out the new actor appearing in Civil War.
    Last edited by Michael24; 04-11-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Bendis' Peter is definitely mine. I grew up with the Raimi films and casually watched a few cartoons, but read the Ultimate comics last year and now "my" Peter Parker is forever Bendis' take on him. As far as art goes, I LOVED David Lafuente's run on the series so either him or David Marquez.
    The singular vision for the totality of the run really helps. Bagley didn't miss an issue his entire run, did he? And the book shipped every three weeks for a good chunk of the run. The achievement is mind-blowing when you think about it.

My favorite run (at the moment at least) is JMS/JRJR. Probably largely to do with it feeling like the first real forward momentum the book had had since the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Gil Kane with John Romita on art with either Stan Lee or Gerry Conway as the writer.
    7b37958c854a197a84535df729103fb5.jpg
    But this is what I think of when I think of Spider-Man. I think it's really the place to go if you were explaining Spider-Man to someone who had never heard of it.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Despite how dramatically different the comic felt between these two artists and despite the fact that most people think of Mark Bagley when they think of Ultimate Spider-Man, this is what I think of. I remember cracking up so hard at the hilarity of Lafuente's run. His acting was perfect. Bendis really wrote to his strengths.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

But seriously, I really dug a lot of the Pre-Civil War JMS run.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Yeah, Sins Past JMS/Romita or early 90's Michelinie/Bagley. I also liked Larsen's run on adjectiveless Spider-Man in the early 90's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I first got into comics in the early-90s, so the Mark Bagley/David Michelinie run has always been my favorite. ASM #361-363 is still my favorite Carnage story.

Whenever I think of the comic Spidey, Bagley's style is the one that first comes to mind.

I never got into any of the animated shows but for film versions I definitely prefer Tobey Maguire, especially in his first movie. Didn't care at all for Andrew Garfield but will be curious to check out the new actor appearing in Civil War.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post

But seriously, I really dug a lot of the Pre-Civil War JMS run.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Yeah, Sins Past JMS/Romita or early 90's Michelinie/Bagley. I also liked Larsen's run on adjectiveless Spider-Man in the early 90's too.
    Basically, all of these. Grew up on Spider-Man during the 90s. I got into him during Larsen's Sinister Six arc in "Spider-Man," and the "Round Robin" storyline over in Amazing. However, just like Michael24, ASM #361 - 363 is my favorite run. Indeed, the introduction of Carnage was significant for me basically that's when I got my first subscription to Spider-Man.

So yeah, my Spider-Man is the early 90s with Micheline/Bagley and the early 00s with JMS/JRJr.

At the same time (and after a long time of OMD hate), I'm proud to say that I'm really digging Slott's run. I've been catching up on the past 8 yrs of stories in Amazing, and absolutely love what Slott is doing right now with Parker Industries.
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

Incredible Member

Definitely somewhere in between Ditko with Lee and Bendis with Bagley.

These two runs represent Spider-Man best for me, though in quite different ways.

BANNED

In terms of his characterization DeFalco and DeMatteis are my fav writers. Romita Jr and Bagley are my fav artists. But I've not cared for when those writers and artists have been paired up.

I guess in a way the closest thing to my favorite definitive Spider-Man would be the JMS/JRJR Peter Parker. He was a competent adult who'd endured a Hell of a lot and was no joke. He had a natural easy wit, but could self-doubt without whining. He could be decisive but soulful. He was well rounded but you saw how much he needed and dependent upon Aunt May and Mary Jane, and how much his love for them meant to him.

Maybe my favourite summation moment for this Spider-Man was in ASM #500. After reliving all his major battles in one day Uncle Ben himself asks him a very big question: are you happy?

And JMS Peter Parker despite thinking about all the insanity of his life ultimately says yes he is. Which was both a point of real development but also a summation and reaffirmation for his character. He isn't an eternally tortured loser manchild. He's an adult who's accepted he has to deal with bad things but still tries to live his life and ultimately is happy with it.

Fav runs on the books:

1) JMS/JRJR
    2) Conway/Kane (though Conway's entire first run is incredibly fun and epic in general)
    3) Lee/JRSR

Honorable mentions: Slott/Ramos, Bendis/Bagley, DeFalco with anyone he teamed up with

Favorite other media adaptation thanks to a superb ability to correctly identify and pick the most potent elements from the mythos and balance them with excellent characterizations, dialogues and storytelling: The Spectacular Spider-Man by Greg Weisman and team

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

This is going to sound silly, but the silent ELECTRIC COMPANY version:

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

For me, it is the Spidey of the Stern into DeFalco era; for me it was the perfect balance of a still youthful character growing and changing albeit slowly. It does't hurt that the era is home to many of my favorite stories as well.