Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What is your Spider-Man?

I'm curious if you guys have a favorite take on Spider-Man. This could be a combination of writer and artist in the comics, or a favorite take from film or tv.

If pressed, my answer is probaby the Roger Stern and John Romita Sr. Peter Parker from their Amazing Spider-Man run.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

For me it's definitely the 90's cartoon Spidey. I grew up watching re-runs of that series, and I've always sort of viewed that show's portrayal of him as my own "definitive" Spidey. I have plenty of other portrayals that I like, but the 90s show will always be my own personal Spider-Man.
    “Marvel Fan Rave Podcast” on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and more.

Gil Kane with John Romita on art with either Stan Lee or Gerry Conway as the writer.
    7b37958c854a197a84535df729103fb5.jpg

Bendis' Peter is definitely mine. I grew up with the Raimi films and casually watched a few cartoons, but read the Ultimate comics last year and now "my" Peter Parker is forever Bendis' take on him. As far as art goes, I LOVED David Lafuente's run on the series so either him or David Marquez.

I first got into comics in the early-90s, so the Mark Bagley/David Michelinie run has always been my favorite. ASM #361-363 is still my favorite Carnage story.

Whenever I think of the comic Spidey, Bagley's style is the one that first comes to mind.

I never got into any of the animated shows but for film versions I definitely prefer Tobey Maguire, especially in his first movie. Didn't care at all for Andrew Garfield but will be curious to check out the new actor appearing in Civil War.
    Last edited by Michael24; 04-11-2016 at 03:14 PM.
    My Blog | Tumblr
    * Original Join Date: September 2010

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
    I first got into comics in the early-90s, so the Mark Bagley/David Michelinie run has always been my favorite. ASM #361-363 is still my favorite Carnage story.

I got rid of most of my spidey books, So I am going from memory. But I would say most of the stuff that was printed in early to mid 90's (just before the clone events). When Peter was a 20 something guy trying to build a life be a hero, deal with the drama of life etc. I really found that rendition of Peter to be very relateble, because he really tried his best to be a stand up guy and behave like a fully loaded grown up.
    Last edited by Mia; 05-06-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    Bendis' Peter is definitely mine. I grew up with the Raimi films and casually watched a few cartoons, but read the Ultimate comics last year and now "my" Peter Parker is forever Bendis' take on him. As far as art goes, I LOVED David Lafuente's run on the series so either him or David Marquez.
    The singular vision for the totality of the run really helps. Bagley didn't miss an issue his entire run, did he? And the book shipped every three weeks for a good chunk of the run. The achievement is mind-blowing when you think about it.

My favorite run (at the moment at least) is JMS/JRJR. Probably largely to do with it feeling like the first real forward momentum the book had had since the wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Gil Kane with John Romita on art with either Stan Lee or Gerry Conway as the writer.
    7b37958c854a197a84535df729103fb5.jpg
    But this is what I think of when I think of Spider-Man. I think it's really the place to go if you were explaining Spider-Man to someone who had never heard of it.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Despite how dramatically different the comic felt between these two artists and despite the fact that most people think of Mark Bagley when they think of Ultimate Spider-Man, this is what I think of. I remember cracking up so hard at the hilarity of Lafuente's run. His acting was perfect. Bendis really wrote to his strengths.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    This is exactly how I feel, his Ultimate Spidey will forever by my Peter Parker. I loved his characterization, the art, and the fitting conclusion. What an achievement of greatness, no reboots, no deals with the devils, no weird status quo changes, everything just fit and meshed so well together.