Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default How to read Final Crisis and understand it

Hello. I've been wanting to retry Final Crisis. I've got some money to blow and I'm willing to pick up most anything to truly grasp it. What do I need and in what order?

Batman rip?
    Seven soldiers?

How much does Final Crisis cross over to Multiversity?

Final Crisis is an old event and Multiversity a recent one. So no, they don't cross over.
    And I guess you could read only Final Crisis and understand it. It is standalone, from what I recall.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Just read Legion of Three Worlds. It's about the only part worth reading.

BANNED

Grant Morrison said in an interview that this is how you should read Final Crisis:
    FINAL CRISIS # 1- 3
    SUPERMAN BEYOND # 1- 2
    SUBMIT
    FINAL CRISIS # 4 – 5
    BATMAN #682 – 683
    FINAL CRISIS # 6 – 7

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    Just read Legion of Three Worlds. It's about the only part worth reading.
    I love that story!! Would love to see that first crossover they refer to though.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by dogwelder View Post
    Grant Morrison said in an interview that this is how you should read Final Crisis:
    FINAL CRISIS # 1- 3
    SUPERMAN BEYOND # 1- 2
    SUBMIT
    FINAL CRISIS # 4 – 5
    BATMAN #682 – 683

FINAL CRISIS # 6 – 7
    Thank you!!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    Final Crisis is an old event and Multiversity a recent one. So no, they don't cross over.
    And I guess you could read only Final Crisis and understand it. It is standalone, from what I recall.
    I've read both already. I just wanted to know what to read to fully comprehend both. I felt that they were linked with the monitor character that appears in both.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

FINAL CRISIS # 1- 3
    SUPERMAN BEYOND # 1- 2
    SUBMIT
    FINAL CRISIS # 4 – 5
    BATMAN #682 – 683
    FINAL CRISIS # 6 – 7
    I'm not even sure you need those extra bits, but they're seriously good, so yeah, that's the best order. Which is, basically, the current trade paperback/digital collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Ninja Viking View Post
    I've read both already. I just wanted to know what to read to fully comprehend both. I felt that they were linked with the monitor character that appears in both.
    They're as connected as any two series by the same writer are, or any two big DC Event stories.

You can read either one and understand the story/events fine. There might something gained from being familiar with both and making connections, but no more so than anything else one or the other references or alludes to. Just read them.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 04-11-2016 at 03:25 PM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Ninja Viking View Post
    I love that story!! Would love to see that first crossover they refer to though.
    That was my absolute favorite part of the whole event. Now that I think about it, Rogue's Revenge was really good too.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by steeplejack2112 View Post
    That was my absolute favorite part of the whole event. Now that I think about it, Rogue's Revenge was really good too.
    Yes it was! Basically any of the Johns crossovers. And requiem were really good

BANNED

I'm not even sure you need those extra bits, but they're seriously good, so yeah, that's the best order. Which is, basically, the current trade paperback/digital collection.

Are the Superman issues in 3-D in the TPB?

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

Are the Superman issues in 3-D in the TPB?
    No. Not in any of the editions, apparently. Which is dumb. (Not too fond of the re-dialoguing or new scenes in the latest collections, either, but they're not as big a loss as the 3D being gone.)
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

This is certainly completely superfluous, and people above have laid out the core stuff, but I'd read Seven Soldiers as a prologue, especially the Mister Miracle bits. It's just some of Morrison's best stuff, all the issues are now collected in two hardcover volumes or four softcover I believe.
    Also, Multiversity can be seen as something of a very indirect quasi-sequel to Final Crisis, there are some references, such as with Overman on Earth-10, but nothing truly overt.

FINAL CRISIS # 1- 3
    SUPERMAN BEYOND # 1- 2
    SUBMIT
    FINAL CRISIS # 4 – 5
    BATMAN #682 – 683
    FINAL CRISIS # 6 – 7
    Do tell.
    Do tell.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Incredible Member

Final Crisis has so many metaphors and metaphysics that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if no average reader understands it. Grant Morrison himself acknowledged a good portion of readers just hated it. The biggest problem I had was the characters it centers around. Nix Uotan is a Monitor in the body of a teenager that works at Burger King, Tattooed Man, Tawky Tawny, Sonny Sumo and the Super Young Team, Shilo Norman the second Mircle Miracle, etc.

Don't get me wrong that I get the story is about rising to face incredible odds when the big guns are no where to be seen, the New Gods were supposed to be of a higher order than what we can possibly perceive as mortals, and the legacy unforgettable heroes endure and leave long after they're gone. And I know the book is mainly about Grant Morrison's previous work. But sometimes I'd rather just see superheroes and villains knocking each other senseless.
    Last edited by whiterabbit; 04-12-2016 at 01:15 AM.