Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Significant Native American Comics Characters

I'm devoting some blog-space to the above topic, and though I think I have a pretty complete knowledge of characters in the mainstream up to the late 1990s, I don't know whether or not there have been any major characters in any comics-genre since that period.

I have the general impression that GEN 13's Rainmaker is one of the few characters to have enjoyed a regular venue on into the 2000s and/or 2010s. Other than her, no one comes to mind, though I think Red Wolf is due to get a revival. BTW, I'm not just talking heroes, but villains and support-characters as well.

If anyone cares to weigh on on the most significant N.A. characters, that's OK too. I seem to remember a thread of that nature on the old boards.

Off the top of my head, they'res Dawnstar from the legion of superheroes. She has wings, can fly at super speeds, and is an expert tracker. She's from a tribe of native americans that live in a colony on earth called Starhaven. Dawny has remained one of the most popular and enduring legionnaires.

There's Warpath, his brother thunderbird, and Dani Moonstar from the X-men.

Depending on how you want to look at it, Manitou Raven.

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I'm devoting some blog-space to the above topic, and though I think I have a pretty complete knowledge of characters in the mainstream up to the late 1990s, I don't know whether or not there have been any major characters in any comics-genre since that period.

As for this, you've seriously never heard of Scalped?

Butcher from DC had his own mini-series and a few guest appearances.

Joshua Brand was the protagonist of Shaman's Tears that ran for 12 issues from Image.

Topps Zorro series from the 90s had native American Moonstalker as one its major villains.

Firestorm had two recurring native American villains: Black Bison and Silver Deer.

turok maybe

BANNED

the problem with "Native American" imagery it was merged into Latin American character traits.
    Latin America along with the West Indies ( Caribbean ) does count as native American as well. Many native American images are well received even if poorly done.

With the US we will always have this "Stereotype" that is well received and liked even without any real education. There are tons of video-game characters that are Native American related ( or uses that image ) but we are talking about comics strictly............

Only because that Native American image is actually promoted in other ways across the United States.

Question have most people here seen or ran into real Native American people ( young people and not old )? I have at least three times.

My problem with Native American characters in fiction. They should not be stereotypical. Even if they are should not be the main premise of discussion

BANNED

Dani Moonstar and James Proudstar are both important members of various X-men teams.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I can't stand Scalped, really, for many reasons, but chief among them is the tendency to overdo the "show the research" by sticking things in character's mouths or thoughts that are basically history/culture info-dumps. I get why some people like it, and people really do, the flaws just stick out for me/kill it for me.

There was a hideous comic, Iktomi, being advertised here on the forums a year or two back, that seems, thankfully, to have died on the vine. Done by a collective from Europe and America, with a white savior and some sexy Native girls, etc.

I have to say, I think, among mainstream comics work not by Natives, Grant Morrison has done pretty well with Indian characters in The Invisibles and Batman Inc. Chris Burnham doing a Pine Ridge riff in Inc, comes a lot closer, for my estimation, as someone who grew up partly in Kyle, to getting it than the artist of Scalped.

Warren Ellis made American Eagle, of all characters, a serious badass during his run on Thunderbolts.

Anybody know if anyone does anything with the Indian characters in GI Joe comics, these days? Larry Hama used to be good about playing the main two guys against each other; traditionalist vs just some guy and such.

It is probably worth noting that there are Indian-made comics, as well, being published right now. Superhero stuff, comedy stuff, war comics, etc.

The two biggest splashes in comics-based movies probably would've been Pie-Face and Silver Fox in Green Lantern and Wolverine: Origins, but Pie was cast with a New Zealander instead, because brown is brown or w'ev, and Silver Fox was, well, Emma Frost's sister. She was Indian because she had some fringe and said spirity things about wolverines.

DC advertised a big splashy Native superhero based on a real life First Nations girl, but I can't remember the actual comics coming out. Lemire?
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I really liked Echo (Maya Lopez). She didn't have anything really stereotypical about her.

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    DC advertised a big splashy Native superhero based on a real life First Nations girl, but I can't remember the actual comics coming out. Lemire?
    It was Equinox from Justice League United.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    I really liked Echo (Maya Lopez). She didn't have anything really stereotypical about her.
    Outside of her debut story, no. The debut story was chock full of "brave warrior brave feather feather facepaint warrior brave." She just needed a vision quest and it would've been a win on some Native Stereotype Bingo game.

Bendis has done much better with her.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderbytes View Post
    It was Equinox from Justice League United.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by t hedge coke; 04-12-2016 at 01:27 AM.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Red Wolf is motivated "due to get a revival. "
    His book has been out for months, is quite good and likely to get cancelled soon as it sells badly.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I wish Marvel would have used Wyatt Wingfoot more. I think the last writer to give him any significant panel time is when Byrne had him dating She Hulk.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

There was Tonto in the Lone Ranger comics, and in his own series.

There was Apache Chief in the Super Friends comics, although he was mostly a TV character. And mostly an embarrassment, just like all the Superfriends.

Probably not what you're looking for, but I recently read the manga +Anima, which featured a "Native American" style character named Senri (not actually Native American, of course, given they lived on a fictional continent, but his homeland/tribe very much had a Native American motif going).

Sharkbob just inadvertently reminded me that Bean Bandit of Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean is a big, beautiful Indian badass. Dark Horse seems to have mistakenly suggested Rally/Larry was, for years, when what was meant was Indian from India descent.