Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Is it a new Red Wolf, or one of the previous 20th-cent versions?
    It's the one from the Secret War mini series set in a Wild West alternate reality of Avengers, being transported into the 616 Marvel universe's present day.

Must be mostly youngsters here.

Turok had a long history at Gold Key, well before Valiant, from 1954-1982. Valiant was a blip on the radar, by comparison.

Tonto has appeared alongside the Lone Ranger in comic strips and comic books since the late 30s (newspapers) and 40s (comic books).

One key character/series, from the 80s and early 90s is Tim Truman's Scout. Scout featured Emanuel Santana, an Apache who deserted from the Army, in the near future of an ecologically and economically devastated US. He has a vision of the Four Monsters, of Apache legend, which are destroying the land. He is led by his spirit guide, to different members of the corrupt US government, who are each represented as one of the 4 monsters. It was an outstanding series that went through two iterations: Scout and Scout: War Shaman, at Eclipse Comics. Two more volumes in the saga were planned; but, economic realities (Eclipse's money woes and the sales of independent comics, in general) meant they never appeared. The series was highly acclaimed and was one of Eclipse's best sellers, along with Miracleman. Santana's name came from Carlos Santana and there were characters who were homages to Stevie Ray Vaughn and Miami Steve Van Zandt, as well as writer/editor Beau Smith (the character Beau La Duke).

Truman also did an adaptation of Alan Eckart's Tecumseh. He also wrote and drew Wilderness, a two-volume graphic novel series about Simon Girty, a white man who lived among a native tribe in the Pennsylvania region, and was known as the "white savage."

Though I'm not including non-fictional characters in my posts unless they've been substantially re-invented, we should also mention that Jack Jackson devoted a few underground comics to Quanah Parker.

Anyone have a favorite female N.A. character? I lean toward Talisman of ALPHA FLIGHT. Good costume and characterization, and her powers are not strictly defined by her cultural heritage.

There's supposed to be a Golden Age female lead with a name like Starlight or Moonlight, I think in some western comic, but I haven't searched it out yet.

I've encountered fewer female characters, who were more than one-offs. Dawnstar was always a favorite character of the Legion; but, she was never a central character and I never felt like I got to know her. I was gonna say Rosanna Winter, from Scout; but, the Scout Handbook lists her ethnicity as Latino/Anglo. However, she is depicted as being of mestizo heritage, which would mean she is descended from native and European ancestry. However, her cultural heritage is less of a factor in her arc as it is Santana's (Scout). For her, it is more her socio-economic status, which leads her to be in the Army, where she first encounters Scout, and then later has to both face off against him and aid him. She was a very complex character, as were all in this engaging series.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

While Ostrander and Manco's Apache Skies didn't exactly light the sales charts on fire, it's probably worth looking at in a serious fashion, as well.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...yle-180970852/

This Artist Reenvisioned Marvel Superheroes in a Traditional Native American Style
    Jeffrey Veregge uses formline, more typical of paintings and totem poles, to create a heroic mural

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...JsY5UecisIU.99
    Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
    Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

This is very cool- it would also be great if Marvel would create several more native american-based heroes. Different powers, origins, etc. not everyone has to have a backstory of indigenous mysticism, though. Some can be tech-based, others science-accident-based, some can be intense-training based.

The Francophone (i.e. comics written in French, not necessarily comics made in France) comics scene has a strong tradition of both historical and western comics.

Some examples:

The Native Americans in Lucky Luke are often rather stereotypically depicted, and none of them are regulars, but at least the stereotypes are approached in a loving and humorous manner.

Blueberry is a long-running French-Belgian western comic set in the post-Civil War era. It has more Native American characters, but still white people dominate the narrative.

Perhaps the best example is Buddy Longway, which deal directly with mixed marriages, relations and conflicts between tribes and cultures, and Native American culture. Buddy Longway's wife Chinook is a Sioux. Sadly, I'm not sure this has been translated to English.

Not sure if this series counts as significant

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Coyote by Steve Englehart.
    Just imagine a Loki/Wolverine Native American anti-hero taking on everything from the ghost of James Dean to lobster men from Venus.

This fascinating series intersperses American Indian lore with current-day mystery. Sylvester Santangelo was adopted and raised by a were-coyote and a psychic vampire. Together they taught him how to travel in the world of dreams and legends. Coyote’s a trickster though, and not everyone likes his running through their minds. Some would even kill to find him.

In addition to its fine storytelling, this series is known as the home to the first professional work by top artist Todd McFarlane (Spider-Man, Spawn).
    - courtesy of atomicavenue.com
    "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

There is also Shaman and Talisman from Alpha Flight, though, they haven't been used significantly in many years.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 12-03-2018 at 01:22 AM.

I rate the modern American Eagle pretty highly since his outfit ISNT just Moccasins etc. He's not a stereotype and he has a unique POV in Marvel in that he just wants everyone to fuck off and leave him and his people on their reservation alone. Especially during post Civil War where anyone even vaguely a hero was either signing up or joining the resistance.

While it is still just a little too early to gauge just how "Significant" he will wind up being, the current "The Wild Storm" character Stephen Rainmaker could wind up eventually being one.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

There was the Bronze Terror, though it's too bad he has pretty much faded into obscurity.

From Daredevil Comics #4 (October 1941, Lev Gleason Publications). Art by Dick Briefer.