Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default What could be the next big franchise in the DC Universe?

You know how there are franchises and character mythologies that just stick out as prominent within the Big 2 Universes? Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Justice League, (formerly) Teen Titans for DC and Spider-Man, FF, X-Men, Avengers, GotG (nowadays) for Marvel? I wonder what your guys' thoughts on a franchise that could become so big to the extent that it has widespread following or recognition among the general audience OR what you guys think are the hallmarks or elements that make something a recognizable mythos.

I think the most likely candidate at this point in time would likely be the Suicide Squad. With the new movie coming out, I think its a part of the DCU that's ripe for expansion and development. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-12-2016 at 08:56 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think the most likely candidate at this point in time would likely be the Suicide Squad. With the new movie coming out, I think its a part of the DCU that's ripe for expansion and development.
    Without a doubt. They've been pushing it for some years at this point.
    As for the others, who knows. Maybe Cyborg.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Aquaman is becoming more recognized. Mera is much more popular than she was before and Aquaman's appearance got the loudest reception in my BvS theater opening night in New York. I don't know if that answer qualifies since he's always had his corner of the DCU and was always a major player, but I wouldn't call him a "big franchise".

It would be nice if Hawkman were but it doesn't look like that's on the table.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    I think the most likely candidate at this point in time would likely be the Suicide Squad. With the new movie coming out, I think its a part of the DCU that's ripe for expansion and development. What do you guys think?
    isn't suicide squad part of the Harley Quinn franchise? Which is in comics more succsess full than most of the others you liseted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
    Aquaman is becoming more recognized. Mera is much more popular than she was before and Aquaman's appearance got the loudest reception in my BvS theater opening night in New York. I don't know if that answer qualifies since he's always had his corner of the DCU and was always a major player, but I wouldn't call him a "big franchise".

It would be nice if Hawkman were but it doesn't look like that's on the table.
    the lack of hawkman news makes me worry.

Incredible Member

Teen Titans is gonna make a comeback! Mark my words!

DC doesn't seem to have much interest in it (I'm still hoping for that Dark universe film), but with a turn in the pop culture zeitgeist they could stand to gain a lot from their stable of mystical/magic/dark characters. Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman, Phantom Stranger, Etrigan, Frankenstein, Shade... A very strong lineup that's currently more or less mothballed.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Spectacular Member

Legion!!!!! Please!!!!

From what I read on the net, my bet would be Wonder Woman, when her movie arrives.
    I don't think he was ever as big as she should've been, considering her importance in the DC universe.

Retired

The Legion had the potential to be the biggest franchise. It was one of the places where comic book fandom all began and gave rise to things like the new X-Men. But DC did a good job of screwing over the LSH concept several times throughout their history--as if DC really wanted to kill Legion fandom.

The Suicide Squad could be the next big thing. It's just too bad that because of the movie THE FLASH can't use villains like Captain Boomerang on the TV series. If the movies and the TV shows could work together, instead of against each other, they could both build up a common interest in those concepts. The Flash has the power to get ordinary people excited about the DC universe/multiverse.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TickTock View Post
    Teen Titans is gonna make a comeback! Mark my words!
    I think you could be right.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Ninja Viking View Post
    Legion!!!!! Please!!!!
    Seconded. I would like to see Dr. Fate, The Spectre, Firestorm, and the JSA have a shot too.

BANNED

The one with the most potential is Green Lantern, but it needs an entirely fresh take. What Geoff Johns did worked well for a while but it's not going to work any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by paulojrmam View Post
    From what I read on the net, my bet would be Wonder Woman, when her movie arrives.
    I don't think he was ever as big as she should've been, considering her importance in the DC universe.
    I agree, everyone knows Wonder Woman but for people outside of comic books, nobody really knows a lot of the elements surrounding her character, not nearly as much with as Batman and Superman.

Other than WW I think Aquaman has a decent shot with the upcoming movie and a (mostly) pretty good recent string of runs in the comics. Suicide Squad is definitely a possibility. Cyborg is gonna need a really strong push if they really want him to make it.

Incredible Member steeplejack2112's Avatar

Scooby Doo.